• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im looking to take a class in tactical rifle usage out to 600 or so. I have the basics but need better practice with ranging, windage, and things like that. Looking for a weekend or 3 day class. I have places to stay in Austin and Houston so either will work. Im also looking at cost. I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg, under $300 preferably. Not looking to do this till spring or summer.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    CSAT in Nacogdoches, or MAST Solutions in Houston. I know the MAST guys personally and have trained with Paul Howe at CSAT. Both are top notch. The MAST guys also occasionally host other companies like Magpul Dynamics.

$300 is asking a lot for quality training though. Most classes will require more than that in ammo costs alone. My advice would be to wait until you can save up enough for a quality course.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Keep saving until you can afford one of the quality classes (that's what I'm doing). Trust me, it's worth it. For a good quality carbine class, you are looking at ~$500-800 for the course fee, 1000-2000rd count for the rifle(for .223 figure ~$300/1000 so $300-600 to tack on), and usually at least ~100-200rds+ for the handgun (a good course will include transitions and sidearm stuff too). All in all, you're looking at ~$800-2k depending on the class. Don't think of it as money being thrown away. Think of it from the perspective of investing in education, investing in certification courses for your profession. It's the same thing. Investing to learn priceless skills from people that have (especially in the case of Paul Howe, Jim Smith, and some of the others out there) at some point been the tip of the spear and likely had millions of government dollars spent on training them in the most state of the art techniques and tactics available.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    What exactly are you looking for in this class? Are you looking for tactical shooting, are you looking for long range shooting, Shoot and move, transitions, reflexive fire, there is all kinds of things out there and depending on what you are looking for depends on what i can tell you. Most of that i can teach if the facilities are available and i usually dont charge much, maybe a meal and some ammo, as long as you cover our ammo and the range time. Sig ive already told you im willing to get together and help you with any of it you are looking for we just need a place that will let us do it. mclarenross just let me know what you are looking for and i will see what i can come up with and will get back to you on this.

Disclaimer: I do not hold any recognized civilian marksmanship instructor licenses or do i claim to. I am just a Retired Vet (even though my age doesnt show it) that enjoys everything there is to about firearms and shooting proficiency and would like to pass those skills and knowledge on to anyone i can as long as their bullets fly the same direction as mine.

Top Bottom