Target Sports

Tapco AK magazine review & long term testing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey, guys. I've been wondering if the Tapco AK magazines are any good for a while, so I grabbed one for $10 at the gun show today. My intention is to catalog my experiences with it over a longer term to see how it holds up. I'll update later when I get out to the range, and then later down the road to see how the mag holds up to my abuses. :D I'm probably not going to go out of my way to abuse the mag by running it over with a truck or something like that (not yet, anyway), but with just what I consider "normal" use, which includes things like dropping it on the ground when I reload and using it as a monopod when I shoot from the prone. None of these have hurt any of my steel magazines (beyond pavement rash on the bottom rear of the floor plate from prone shooting and a little surface rust now and then from sweaty hands), but that's hardly a surprise.

First impressions:

The first thing I noticed was that the mag is very light compared to a steel magazine. Not hard or surprising since the commie mags weigh in right around a pound unloaded. The downside is that it's actually wider than the already wide steel magazines, as most plastic magazines are compared to a metal counterpart.

The magazine has very fat and aggressive ribs, I'm assuming for strength and somewhat for grip. The entire magazine surface is also textured which helps with grip and keeps that plasticky shine down. Oddly, the floor plate is made of steel with some kind of gray coating that appears to be some kind of phosphate. Maybe I'll find more info on that later... The floor plate doesn't interchange with the steel magazines.

Disassembling the magazine is straight forward and almost identical to the steel mags, except that the floor plate slides off toward the front instead of the rear.

The follower is a tight fit in the mag body but moves through easily and without friction. There is not a hint of tilt to the follower, no matter what I try.

The feed lips are made of plastic, but very thick. With the follower removed, they're about as hard to pinch toward each other as an aluminum AR magazine, which is to say that it's nowhere near as strong as the steel AK magazines, obviously.

The spring is only about 2/3 the length of the one I took out of a steel magazine, but is a much higher rate. Odds are pretty good the steel is better, being this mag was made in the US instead of a communist country. The wire appears to be the same diameter (if it ain't, it's really close), but the depth of the coils on the Tapco spring is only about 3/4 those of the commie spring. The commie spring takes up the whole magazine body, the Tapco spring takes up less.

The followers are almost identical, except for the materials. Tapco's spring and follower slide into a commie body, but the plate attached to the bottom of the assembly won't go in. Commie spring and follower will assemble into the Tapco mag, but the follower catches a ledge near the top, keeping it from being compatible. It could easily be modified to work.

The shorter spring with less preload on it makes me wonder, we'll have to see how it holds up to rapid fire when it's almost empty.

The magazine inserted and locked in place on my home-built AK (Romanian "G" kit, NDS-3 receiver) which has taken every AK magazine its been offered. Lock up was a little tighter than most steel mags, with almost no front-back rocking left, but about the same amount side to side. I'll admit that my rifle may be a little loose side to side. Kind of on purpose - I figured a little loose was better than a little tight. Hasn't failed me in the 4+ years I've had it.

After I inserted the magazine, I gave it several good slaps toward the muzzle down near the base plate to get good leverage. The tab at the back didn't snap off, though it did cause the mag release to bite into the plastic a little bit.

That's about all the testing I can do here without really pissing off the neighbors, landlord and SAPD, so I'll update after I get some range time on this sucker. Hopefully I can get a couple carbine matches on it this summer and see how it does there. I'll post more when I've got it.
    DK Firearms

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I saw a thread somewhere where a guy broke one of the feed lips on his tapco mag from a drop and it still worked fine. I had one of those. Fits tight in my WASR (don't laugh at my cheapo ex ak)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I saw a thread somewhere where a guy broke one of the feed lips on his tapco mag from a drop and it still worked fine. I had one of those. Fits tight in my WASR (don't laugh at my cheapo ex ak)

Why would I? My build used most of the same cheap stuff as the major components. Romanian AKs aren't exactly the cream of the crop... It actually started as "Project $300 AK"... and got WAY out of hand.

Subscribed.

Pics would be great!

I'll try to get some, but I can't find the memory for my camera!! Eventually I'll get some.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy

I've actually used them in my WASR for a while and I like them better than surplus mags. They don't wobble, and lets face it, trips to the range don't constitute "hard" usage. I'd be interested to know how they hold up with more "practacle field use".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've got a selection of TAPCO mags and they work fine. Steelies might be better in the field, but for general range work they are OK. They get chewed up a bit, but considering you can get them cheap and they actually fit better in some rifles (such as my WASR 10/63) I don't see anything wrong with them.

Yes, you can do a change-out quicker with the steel magazines; but honestly how many of you actually expect to find yourself in a situation where a quick reload is going to be necessary? There ain't that many zombies out there!

Cheers! M2

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    A little traininga and practise goes a long way in case the zombies do come .
    So I ask why be caught short.
    Oh and the 30 rd tapco mags I have work just fine in my Romanian 10/63 .
    Also the Bulgarian steel 20 rd mags work good too..

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The wire appears to be the same diameter (if it ain't, it's really close)

Come on, man. I KNOW you have a set of calipers lying around. Stop getting lazy on us! :p

Seriously, though, I bought a few OD Tapcos, as I plan on eventually camoing my AK. I'd love to see how this turns out.

And yeah, steel is structurally tougher than plastic- until water is thrown into the equation. Can't have it all!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Finally got this thing on the range today at the Texas Tactical carbine match as my main magazine. I didn't get to run it all that hard (no prone shooting), but it did get dropped a couple times in mag changes. Things I noticed:

• The mag ran flawlessly.
    • The flare at the bottom of the mag means it doesn't like to work in pouches. It appears that whoever designed it thought that you put AK magazines in pouches the same way you do AR magazines. No.
    • The spring really stacks up as you load the magazine. Spring pressure is much more consistent in Chinese magazines.
    • When it's close to full, the follower seemed to want to stick as I tried loading. There were a couple times I thought it was full, walked away and when I double-checked it took one or two more rounds. Had me wondering if I accidentally ran partial capacity at some point...
    The pouch thing pretty much kills it for me (I'm so tacticool). YMMV. I'll keep testing and see if I can get it to break. Next test is to load it and leave it sitting around that way for a couple of weeks. Might even set it outside where it'll get some sun.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    ive ran a couple thousand rounds through 2 tapco mags, zero issues so far. They to get a bit beat up though where they click in. Used them in matches, survived quite a few drops, and a few step-ons : )

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I might take it out to the garage tomorrow and drop prone a few times on the concrete. If it's going to break, I think that might do it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    One thing I've read is not to get the US Palm mags! There's a guy who did a test on the on the AK Forum and the results were not good!

My TAPCOs have held up pretty well, I'm interested in hearing your long-term results.

Cheers! M2

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Read something interesting yesterday- a few Tapco AK mags made it out of the factory with AR springs. If you are having spring-related issues, give Tapco a call and they will send you a better spring for free.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Bought a Tapco 10 Round Mag for my WASR-10/63....Works and feeds like a charm....Reason? For placing in a "Lead Sled" for sighting in scope and accuracy tests, the AK 30 rounder is too long for the Lead Sled....I have not had mag problems with my AK with regular or Tapco mags...

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    • The mag ran flawlessly.
    • The flare at the bottom of the mag means it doesn't like to work in pouches. It appears that whoever designed it thought that you put AK magazines in pouches the same way you do AR magazines. No.
    • The spring really stacks up as you load the magazine. Spring pressure is much more consistent in Chinese magazines.
    • When it's close to full, the follower seemed to want to stick as I tried loading. There were a couple times I thought it was full, walked away and when I double-checked it took one or two more rounds. Had me wondering if I accidentally ran partial capacity at some point...

The pouch thing pretty much kills it for me (I'm so tacticool). YMMV. I'll keep testing and see if I can get it to break. Next test is to load it and leave it sitting around that way for a couple of weeks. Might even set it outside where it'll get some sun.
    I am so tacticool that I had to search why you would want to store bullets up. Did not think about the mag tang.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Next test is to load it and leave it sitting around that way for a couple of weeks. Might even set it outside where it'll get some sun.

Make sure to give it 8 cups of water everyday, you don't want that poor mag to have a heat stroke out in that harsh sun

JK lol. Run that bitch harder!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I am so tacticool that I had to search why you would want to store bullets up. Did not think about the mag tang.

The tang and you pretty much have to use a "beer can" grip on an AK magazine. With an AR, I grip the magazines like I do pistol mags because the same basic concept applies to both. There's not much point to having the open end down with an AK mag.

Make sure to give it 8 cups of water everyday, you don't want that poor mag to have a heat stroke out in that harsh sun

JK lol. Run that bitch harder!

I haven't had much time to run it, and even less energy being out in heat that's over 105 every single goddamn day.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I haven't had much time to run it, and even less energy being out in heat that's over 105 every single goddamn day.

I've been fasting for the last 30 days, and I deliver pizza's haha. I eat a bit at 5:00 AM, sleep, wake up, go to work delivering in 105 degree weather (I sometimes use A/C depending on how much gas is in my tank), then don't eat till like 8:30 PM at night lol.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been fasting for the last 30 days, and I deliver pizza's haha. I eat a bit at 5:00 AM, sleep, wake up, go to work delivering in 105 degree weather (I sometimes use A/C depending on how much gas is in my tank), then don't eat till like 8:30 PM at night lol.

Ugh, it hit 112 yesterday. Come home and drink 1/2 Gatorade 1/2 water just to recover. I can't keep up on fluids at work. No AC there, only in the office and break room, and I can't fix cars in either of those.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    This weather is killing me. I havent been able to go shooting since I moved here! I really need to get out and zero my AK in again, and give my new 10/22 a run through.

Also need to be sure the 6 new Tapco mags I got work like the other 6 I have.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom