• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I saw that Academy has a Taurus PT-111 9mm on sale tommorow for $229. Looks like a good deal... can anyone tell me anything about this gun. I'm not familiar with them, but dont want to pass on this if it is a really great deal...
    :confused:
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I used to own one. I only encounter a few jams during brake in after the brake in (200+ rounds) the gun performed flawlessly. I also like the fact that it comes with a built in lock. The gun is very light and it feels good in the hand... Is grate gun for concealment and for the price you cant beet it. Remember in the Pistol industry you get what you pay for.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I used to own a Taurus...like a million years ago.
    Never hear anything bad about them. Just dont know anyone with THIS gun...
    $229 is really cheap for a new 9mm of any quality.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have one that I was planning to sell.....I guess I better hang on to it. Who would give me $200 if they can get a new one for another $20?

I have enjoyed it. The disassembly pin on mine broke, I called Taurus and they just sent me a new one. Mine is a first generation unit (Titanium slide and night sights), I think they are on generation 3 now. I polished the friction surfaces (very easy to do with titanium, since it doesn't need any coatings for protection) and tweaked the trigger. It shoots great.

If you are in the market for a compact 9mm, I say go for it.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    It is on the three day specials page... I am in Oklahoma for the Holiday (in-laws) and it is on sale here too....

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    My wife bought one of the higher priced models for herself over a year ago. It is a fairly good little pistol. There are and have been several different models of this gun. I saw the Academy ad and from looking at the picture, it seems to be the very basic (plain jane) model. The mags only hold 10 rounds. Others have stainless slides and hold 12 rounds. Wife's gun has plastic Heinie strait-8 sights and second strike capability. For the money, it isn't a bad deal.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Went to Academy at 5am and theere was a huge line out front. You had to sign in and gt a wristband that indicated what gun you were buying. Once the wristbands were gone, so were the guns. They had about 50 Taurus' at the advertised price and I got one....
    also got the Heritage .22 SA Revolver for $99.
    Not a bad deal.
    Now to see how it shoots...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    texascop2,

Do you know which version of the PT-111 you got?

Not sure...dont know Taurus' very well. PT-11 Millenium. It looks pretty basic, so I would guess it is on the low end of their scale. Comes with 2 mags, 2 keys for the lock that is built into the gun(?), and a free 1 year NRA membership...lol. No hard case, just a box.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I think it is the Gen I pistol. I couldn't sleep so decided to shop, even though I didn't expect anything to sell out early. I arrived at the Southwest Freeway (Greenbriar) store at 4:45am. Five people in line in front of me. Gave me a wristband. Doors opened and three in front of me went to gun dept. First two didn't have CHLs and they were told that the computers were down/overloaded, so they took the CHL holders first. I was out by 5:30 or so.

When I asked if the gun was DAO, the clerk didn't know. Doof next to me in line tries explaining to me that it is DA/SA, but only after you fire a round. He said the pressure from the previously fired bullet reset the trigger to SA, but you wouldn't get that just from racking the slide as it only worked when you actually shoot the gun...ummmkayyy. I didn't want to continue that conversation. Maybe 8 or 10 people in line behind me when I left, I think they sold 4 or 5 of the Taurus in the half hour I was there. Also picked up 5 boxes of the WWB 9mm, $18 seemed to be a good price for 100.

Then I drove to the Sugarland store to buy more ammo. Got there just before 6am. One guy in line in front of me, they'd already sold 10 of the Taurus that morning. One guy behind me when I left. I guess some range time will tell if the gun is a deal or if it is a dog.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I just bought one this morning for $229 and I also got a Heritage rough rider 22 for $99.They had plenty in stock at my store and the sale ends Sunday.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Just a Warning guys!

If you bought a Taurus pistol make sure you clean it VERY well before you take it to the range. Take a can of Gun Srcubber (or similar) and spray down the firing pin hole until the black fluid turns clear. Same with the extractor assembly. I have several Taurus pistols and revolvers, and I like em alot, but the stuff they coat them with at the factory in Brazil makes cosmoline look like machine oil.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Low Shot

Have any of y'all encountered the problem with your PT111 shooting about 2 inches low?

Mine does and I've become accustomed to it to where I am a pretty damn good shot. But it accurately and accountably 2" low everytime so it doesnt dance around. My brother came down this weekend and he is ten times the shot I am and became just increasingly pissed at my gun in that it wouldn't shoot on sight.

I was just wondering if this was a problem for this gun and if it is does Taurus have a solution like re-sighting it?

The gun is still under warranty. It is only ten days old.

Thanks for any help.

Top Bottom