• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    My wife bought this pistol about 4 years ago. She fired about 20 rounds through it, we cleaned it, and it hasn't been fired since (it's been sitting in her dresser.) She finally decided it was time to get educated and start using the pistol. So we go to the range for a little basic safety and shooting. The pistol jammed about 6 times. I finally had her put it away and we continued using my PX4 (of course, now she likes the PX4!) Anyway, I start doing some research and I run across a guy who reviewed this same model on U Tube. He actually had the exact same issue and his video shows the gun jamming exactly like ours and he claims they sent it back to Taurus and they fixed the issue. Said it was "Extractor Failure in Chamber" and the replaced the barrel with and Oversize replacement. Then he said he fired about 200 round through the gun with absolutely no issues after the repair. So, I'm in the process of trying to contact Taurus (was on hold for almost 30 minutes when I hung up today) and hope to send the pistol back to them to get the issue resolved.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with the Taurus PT709 Slim? Obvious if I don't get the issue resolved by the manufacturer I'll be looking for a good gunsmith. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In case you're curious, this is the link to the PT709 review that shows the exact same issue I'm having.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just to help, the term "jam" is very nondescript. There are fail to feed, fail to eject, stovepipe, double feed, etc.

Can you describe what it was doing?

Did you shoot it?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another thing to watch out for on those guns is the factory grease that comes on most Taurus guns (at least a few years ago this is how they were). IIRC, I believe it's a white grease. Last dozen or so new Taurus guns I've seen had tons of the stuff all over the internals, and it seems to potentially make some of them a bit problematic, possibly attracting and holding a lot of carbon buildup from shooting, among other things. For any new Taurus, I'd definitely recommend a very thorough breakdown and cleaning, removing every single bit of that grease, and just using a bit of typical gun oil or motor oil like Mobile 1 on the barrel (everywhere except the feed ramp and chamber), frame rails, locking block in the frame, and that's it. Might not help, but it's free and quick to do. Worst case, Taurus does seem to be fairly good at fixing or replacing malfunctioning or defective guns.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So it was cleaned, put away for 4 years, and then shot? Try cleaning and re-lubing it again. If it still doesn't run right, then yeah send back to Taurus.

I have a 709... No issues so far, but also haven't shot it very much. Taurus isn't known for their consistency. Some guns will be flawless and others not so much.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Thanks guys, I did break the gun down and cleaned it well after the issues. I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it today and see if I have any issues since I cleaned it yesterday. Maybe it's is just an issue of lingering grease and/or a little more break-in is needed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had trouble with mine as well.
    Got tired of messing with it.
    Been so long since I last shot it, can't remember what the exact problem was though...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks guys, I did break the gun down and cleaned it well after the issues. I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it today and see if I have any issues since I cleaned it yesterday. Maybe it's is just an issue of lingering grease and/or a little more break-in is needed.

So you are not gonna tell us exactly what it was doing? Or if YOU shot it? ;)

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well after a good cleaning of the entire gun and magazines I went back to the range to put a few more rounds through the gun hoping a good cleaning and a few more rounds would be trouble free but that wasn't the case. First I shot 50 rounds of S&B 115g FMJ and had two cartridges not eject from the chamber/barrel. Then I switch to Remington Golden Saber 124g HP and had 2 spent cartridges hang up and not eject (new cartridge did load into chamber/barrel. Then just for kicks and giggles I shot 50 rounds of American Eagle 147g FMJ Flat points and had no issues with that ammo. I'm going to get in touch with Taurus and send the gun in for repair. Something's not right. Thanks for the ideas but cleaning didn't change anything. It does appear to be an issue with the extractor and the barrel (in my opinion.) @ Txinvestigator: This is the best description I can give. I'm not a gunsmith and I don't play one on TV :) I did shoot with the gun a few times the previous day but my wife was shooting when those malfunctions happened. Today I was solo so all action was in my own hands...............
    S&B shot no 32.jpg

Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Update: Finally got in touch with Taurus Customer Service (waited another 30 minutes but finally made contact with them.) We went over the issues. Now here's where my inexperience comes in. The dude I was talking with was wanting me to believe the issues weren't with the pistol but with the shooter? He was telling me after time, the shooter tends to get "complacent" with their hold, loosens their grip, and encounters a conditions called "limp wrist" and this can cause the PT709 to not eject or cycle correctly. Well, I listened politely and as nice as I could I told him that I was convinced "limp wrist" was not the cause of these malfunctions and I wanted Taurus to look at the pistol. I ship the pistol tomorrow. Am I just ignorant to the possibility of "limp wrist" as the cause? I don't buy that for a minute. 10 malfunctions in 250 rounds is not acceptable. I still think they will resolve the issue but I'm an optimist. I guess we'll know in about 6 to 8 weeks?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I hate to say it but, if it's feasible, I would probably recommend selling the gun and getting something else if they aren't going to fix it. Generally, Taurus firearms are known to have a long history of reliability and quality control issues. It's why I NEVER recommend them to anyone.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Agreed, I have a PT709 Slim and have not had any issues with it; but I can see where limpwristing could be factor.

However, I disagree with that claim of current Taurus firearm shaving reliability and quality control issues. I actually own several and all are excellent, reliable firearms. That "long history" is just that...history. Several decades ago that reputation was justified, but not with their current lineup. They are good guns and economically priced, and I recommend them all the time.

I suggest going to http://www.taurusarmed.net/ and asking people on there. There you'll have experts who can help you with that particular brand and model...

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've found that most automatics need to be run wet first 200-300 rounds, I carry spray lube to use at the range(safety glasses required) a tight auto is a machine and requires lube, certainly not sure that is your problem but only passing on my experience.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Good point oldguy and something to consider when breaking in a new auto. I did get the little "Slim Shaddy" shipped back to Taurus. In the mean time, we're trying to figure out what the wife wants to replace it with (sometimes I think their are too many choices.) Regardless if Taurus can fix it or not she's not comfortable with the gun at all moving forward. I guess if they can fix it I'll have a new toy or I can trade it on something else? I'll update as I receive info. I'm expecting 6 to 8 weeks???

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    However, I disagree with that claim of current Taurus firearm shaving reliability and quality control issues. I actually own several and all are excellent, reliable firearms.
    I disagree with your disagreement. In my experience they lack consistency. Once fixed, they are great guns...

The cyl on my Judge fell out one day because they probably didn't torque the set screw properly and didn't use any locktite. Fortunately I managed to find the screw in the grass and fixed it. I also used to have a 24/7. It was very reliable but the barrel lock up was not consistent. You could even move the barrel slightly when locked. It's accuracy was barely adequate. I sold it for rather cheap letting the buyer know to not try and shoot any hostage takers with it :laughing:

In other news, PSA has the PT709 on sale for $220
    Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm 1-709031FS

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I disagree with your disagreement. In my experience they lack consistency. Once fixed, they are great guns...

The cyl on my Judge fell out one day because they probably didn't torque the set screw properly and didn't use any locktite. Fortunately I managed to find the screw in the grass and fixed it. I also used to have a 24/7. It was very reliable but the barrel lock up was not consistent. You could even move the barrel slightly when locked. It's accuracy was barely adequate. I sold it for rather cheap letting the buyer know to not try and shoot any hostage takers with it :laughing:

In other news, PSA has the PT709 on sale for $220
    Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm 1-709031FS

I will agree that the Judge is a POS, but their semi-autos that I've owned have been flawless.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm on my third Taurus. PT 1911 that was best known for having parts fall off every time it was fired. A PT 22 that fired 7 whole rounds before the pin holding the hammer broke.
    Now I'm a month into owning a TCP 738. Couple hundred rounds fired without problems. Gave away the .45, made money on the repaired .22. Still like the .380 but would not bet my life on it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm on my third Taurus. PT 1911 that was best known for having parts fall off every time it was fired. A PT 22 that fired 7 whole rounds before the pin holding the hammer broke.
    Now I'm a month into owning a TCP 738. Couple hundred rounds fired without problems. Gave away the .45, made money on the repaired .22. Still like the .380 but would not bet my life on it.

The 738 is the only Taurus I like of the ones I have owned (not many, lol), it has been fine, & shoots +P, lol....

Top Bottom