• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    auto mechanics almost always buy their own tools, not the shop.
    Auto repair shops also don't get to establish and collect insane amounts of tax dollars, go over budget every year, then go crying to the same taxpayers to float a bond every year. But, let's not forget, "it's for the children". This coming from the same people that openly advocate for the murder of millions of children every year.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Auto repair shops also don't get to establish and collect insane amounts of tax dollars, go over budget every year, then go crying to the same taxpayers to float a bond every year. But, let's not forget, "it's for the children". This coming from the same people that openly advocate for the murder of millions of children every year.
    Painting with a pretty broad brush there.

Go to your local school district website and look at the annual budget.

Normally, there is no budget for new buildings, renovations, security upgrades, etc. Bonds fund capital expenditures. Bonds can't be used for teacher salaries or raises.

I haven't seen my current school district go over budget yet, but that doesn't mean they have the funds to make the necessary upgrades that need to made.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm 71 yrs old, so I'm long past the time when I know what's going on in my great-grandkids classrooms. Nor do I really care since the lil bastids never come to visit, and they live in the same town.

But something I don't unnerstand.... I know it's not 1950-60 anymore, yet the nuns that taught me got the job done with just the books (and Catechism), pencils and paper/notebooks provided by parents, and chalkboard/chalk, erasers, and yard long pointer (to rap knuckles with).

Today, kids have classrooms full of computers, yes? Other than crayons for preschool/kindergarten, what else is needed to put on an effective lesson? Are today's kids that DUMB/drugged/adhd that they can't absorb an idea/factoid w/o some fancy crepe paper etc? What are they doing with all that crappola in the class? The teacher can't get an idea/factoid across to otherwise normal children w/o fancy smancy extraneous shit?

Is the avg IQ now less than 100???

The only subject/class that I can see as being diff would be sciences.... schools MUST provide an adequate supply of dead frogs and fetal pigs.

How bout Sociology class? IIRC, all ya do is sit around and BS. Kinda like hunting camp w/o the booze/beer.... everybody lies to each other and the teacher. LOL

ETA: seems to me that if the class lessons are that hard now, we are overdoing what is required. Yet, from what I understand, most of it is "climate change", social justice, etc.

Last edited:

TRam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Crawford, TX
    I taught high school science for a short time I’m with the teachers on this one. There are a lot of students who can’t afford the supplies. You could easily spend $2-3 grand on little stuff that comes up.
    I’m not aware of other salaried jobs where you have to pay for consumables Out of your own pocket.

Personally, I feel teachers should just say "NO. No mean NO. I will not supply kids with supplies using my own money."

Let the schools use some of their own money. New schools do not have to look like upscale college campuses and the public does not need feeding kids breakfast or lunches during the summers. Start making parents responsible.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My isd built a new indoor football practice field last year. Wast o money and I will vote no on all handout requests.

When my kids were in school we bought their supplies and kept them home not delivered then to the teacher as requested. When asked I told the teacher I will take care of my kids not everyone else's but if there was a big project for the class and she needed help I would be happy to do so.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Personally, I feel teachers should just say "NO. No mean NO. I will not supply kids with supplies using my own money."

Let the schools use some of their own money. New schools do not have to look like upscale college campuses and the public does not need feeding kids breakfast or lunches during the summers. Start making parents responsible.
    Ever wonder what they spend on new school building architecture currently?
    Going to whip out the Fudd here.
    Our school population grew and the tax base did not keep up. We had classes for 7th and 8th grade in 4 military surplus Quonset huts. Worked fine.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I pulled up my local school districts budget, and in the process I saw that enrollment has declined by 5% in the past 3 years. I’m curious how much of this is parents getting fed up with public schools and going to home/private school instead.

Also noticed the second most expensive item in the budget is “plant maintenance and operations”

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I pulled up my local school districts budget, and in the process I saw that enrollment has declined by 5% in the past 3 years. I’m curious how much of this is parents getting fed up with public schools and going to home/private school instead.

Also noticed the second most expensive item in the budget is “plant maintenance and operations”
    Water, electricity, light bulbs, AC systems, mowing the lawn ain't cheap. #1 expenditure will always be employee pay and benefits.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

Just like all else falsified documents so like the cities and counties. The more they spend on running something the more they get for the upper management to have it good.
    They don't get more money to pay higher wages to those who are actually trying to do their jobs.
    Oh and yes Home schooling is at an all time High.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Problem is the teachers get graded by how their students do on those tests. Its in their best interest to make sure they have what they need. The couple that I buy for deal with the ESL kids, and many of those genuinely cannot afford everything they are supposed to get. Mom and dad working crap jobs for low pay, and often too proud to ask for help.

Sometimes the teachers are buying it themselves, these days some are asking for help. I'm OK with it. If they made $90K I wouldn't help. They don't.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Water, electricity, light bulbs, AC systems, mowing the lawn ain't cheap. #1 expenditure will always be employee pay and benefits.

$1 million per year per school is a lot of money. Especially when class isn’t even year round.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Here is something for free $$ :cool:, which if attended every week might later help prevent a tragedy.....and our schools are In the Memphis TN area.

If they want to try out a week or two of classes in self-defense--For Free--, they can at least find out whether it's for them.

I began Krav Maga training in 2020 at age 65. Maybe some Texas schools allow several classes (gratis) for people to sample.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Back in my school days if a child did not have the necessary items others help the child. I had a friend who's dad died in a car wreck and no life insurance. The mom struggled like hell but kept a roof overhead and food on the table.

Neighbors and classmates gladly gave so he could study, compete in sports, and feel good about himself. Later he was a well known and respected businessman about town.

I believe people gave up on giving when welfare came in and the Childrens parents learned to bilk the system putting a bad taste in the mouths of good people.

My wife retired from teaching 10 years ago. She said every child on free lunches had a cellphones Niki shoes, and had money for ice cream or pizza slices.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been seeing TV ads for RRISD. I find it very odd that a public school would run ads and seems like they should spend those funds on the kids instead of recruitment. I guess the administrators are worried they can't keep enrollment up enough to justify their salaries.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX

Most of the lunch programs are federal dollars. that is why they promote them so much the more they feed the more money they get so they can siphon it off for Administrative costs.

Top Bottom