Tell me about the S&W 64...

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 5, 2008
Texas of course
My sister's birthday is coming up and she's been wanting a nice revolver. She likes my Ruger GP100 and my father's S&W 686 but doesn't want something as heavy as these. She also likes the looks of stainless better than blued. I was looking on Bud's and they had a really nice looking used S&W 64 for $389 so I bought for her....I figure if she don't like it I'll just have to keep it myself. :D Besides the lockup and usual used guns checks, is there anything else I need to look for on this before I can trust her life to it? Are these +P rated? As yall can tell, I'm not really a revolver guy. (she'll use it for bedside HD duty)

From Bud's:
"It is made of all stainless steel and features light profile tapered Pinned barrel. This gun was made long before S&W started putting locks and using MIM parts on their guns."
smith.jpg

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
The Model 64 M&P is basically a Model 10 only in stainless steel. Barrel lengths came in 2, 3 or 4 ". The 3" square butt model was discontinued in 1992. Some collectors prefer the pinned barrel, which is found on earlier S&Ws. The suggested retail price in 1994 was $411, so you got a good buy. The Model 64 is not a +P revolver, but there are self-defense loads available that would work just fine.

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 24, 2008
It will last you a lifetime, + 2 days. The K Frame S&Ws (Which the 64 is one of) are excellent handguns. You picked up a classic.

Ruggles

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 24, 2008
BTW the S&W 686 is the L frame which is bigger and heavier than the K frame, mainly so it can stand up to .357 Magnum pressures.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Forum statistics