17 Oaks Ranch

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    from the 60th anniversary DPS yearbook:
    In 1906, Capt. Bill McDonald (1852-1918), arrived in Dallas alone, to enforce legislation against prize fighting. When the alarmed mayor asked the lone Ranger where his men were, legend has it that McDonald responded to the incredulous mayor "Hell! Ain't I enough? There's only one prize fight." Apparently the often repeated retort of "One Riot, One Ranger," came from comments attributed to McDonald in the classic ranger biography Captain Bill McDonald: Texas Ranger, written by Albert Bigelow Paine. This book is also probably the origin of the Ranger Captain's creed, that "No man in the wrong, can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on-a comin'."

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That should settle it.
    Hardly. Everyone knows the proper "One Riot. One Ranger." I heard it that way growing up in Hondo and the overwhelming majority of people everywhere have heard in that same very positive way.

But if you grew up in, say, Crystal City during the ascendancy of La Raza Unida, you had a different experience. There are a whole lot of people who don't visit TGT who understand the coming of a Ranger into any situation meant that unwarranted violence was inevitable. For them, "One Ranger; one riot" is axiomatic.

I am not saying who's right and who's wrong. I'm simply saying that, like in everything else, your viewpoint depends on where you stand.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Yeah, back in the day when I spent a lot of time in South Texas I was shocked when my AE, whose grandfather was a "Wobblie" organizer told me about his view of the Texas Rangers. It didn't fit mine at all.

One riot, one Ranger. From the Houston area.

Top Bottom