Texas CHL Specific Laws

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
The purpose of this thread is for a simple and easy list of Texas state laws and regulations as they pertain to concealed carry. This thread needs to remain speculation and opinion free. It's not a thread for discussion, just for posting the facts and laws as they relate to CHL's in our state. Largely I will simply be copy/pasting info from the DPS website so as to keep the information here on a factual and accurate basis. All of the DPS sourced information is available from their website here:

FAQ's: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/faqs/index.htm

DPS contact info:

Texas Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun Licensing Section
(512) 424-7293

Last edited by a moderator:

zembonez

TGT Addict
Feb 22, 2008
Republic of Texas
Good stuff Travis. I think everybody in here should give it all a good read and download the pdf manual files to keep. The more educated we are on the subject, the less we look like evil gun nuts to the general population.

InHouston

May 14, 2008
Beer and concealed guns

What I'm wondering is, my CHL instructor told me that the legal alcohol limit for concealed carry is 0.0. However, I can't find that anywhere in the CH laws. Therefore, does that mean when I'm carrying, that the normal alcohol limit applies to me as well? I don't carry my weapon while I'm intoxicated, but often I've had a beer or two after work, or after going out for dinner, and I wonder ... I just wonder.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
What I'm wondering is, my CHL instructor told me that the legal alcohol limit for concealed carry is 0.0. However, I can't find that anywhere in the CH laws. Therefore, does that mean when I'm carrying, that the normal alcohol limit applies to me as well? I don't carry my weapon while I'm intoxicated, but often I've had a beer or two after work, or after going out for dinner, and I wonder ... I just wonder.

I've never seen nor heard nor found any "law" pertaining to limiting alcohol while carrying. It's pretty clear, if you're carrying during the commission of a crime, it's you're ass. So the smart card reads, be careful what and how much you drink, because you might be scrutinized more closely and the penalty is much greater.

While carrying, getting stopped for speeding is one thing, getting stopped for speeding and being drunk is another story; a bad one. PI is just a PI unless you're carrying.

It's just a bad idea. I wonder if his point was that you need to live and practice as if it's a zero tolerance? It's a good rule of thumb.

Joat

Apr 28, 2008
Kenefick, TX
The statute does not specify a limit. The statute reads, in part:

"...commits an offense if, while intoxicated, {emphasis added} the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of . . ."

AND

The legal definition of intoxication in Texas is:

• Having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more
  • Not having the normal use of physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substances into the body.
  • Not having the normal use of mental faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substances into the body
The State only needs to prove one of the three ways beyond a reasonable doubt in order to obtain a conviction.

Joat

JDKRIEK

Mar 24, 2008
WYLIE
This is what I was told as well by my CHL instructor - and drew the same conclusions.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Guys (and gals), in the future if you have questions like this, please post another thread under the legislation section and then once someone points out the actual statutes, Texas state codes, etc on the subject then we'll add it to this thread. I want to keep discussion out of this thread so that people can get straight to the meat and potatoes on the issues without having to wade through anything. :)

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members