• majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm still trying to decide...

Texas Gun Fest

"The first annual Texas International Firearms Festival is a two-day festival where firearms enthusiasts try and buy the latest and greatest guns and gear from all over the world. With more than 30 dedicated gun bays and dozens of ammo and accessory retailers, the Texas International Firearms Festival proves the old adage that everything is bigger and better in Texas."

This will be at the Best of the West Shooting Range in Liberty Hill, Texas on 8 -9 November 2014.

- 5,000 firearms enthusiasts per day
    - 30+ dedicated firearms demonstration try & buy bays
    - Tented retail village showcasing the best in ammo and accessories
    - Food available for purchase from Austin’s finest truck cuisine

5,000 people trying to cram into 30+ shooting bays each day doesn't sound like it will be that much fun.

But the temptation is I will already be in Austin that Saturday evening for the Fun Fun Fun Fest, so going up early to this event wouldn't be all that big of an issue. I am just debating with myself as to whether it will be worth the trouble...

Cheers! M2
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Oh man, that sounds like an awesome time. I was JUST talking to someone about how gunshows around here are lame because they never let you handle any of the good guns. This may be just for me. :D

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Those saturation levels are too high for me.

I'm thinking the attendance figures might be exaggerated...it's a MAX number of tickets to be sold, no guarantee the folks will show up! The weather could be 90 degrees+ or windy and cold like F1 week last year. It's not a long drive from my place...I might take a shot at it ! I wonder what the local dealers think of this fest. A zillion dollars in sales DIRECT to the company? No benefit to them, yet it could be their customers. Who's collecting the sales tax?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Looks like the West Va. Mountaineers will be visiting for a little football game that weekend...not sure what impact that might have on potential attendance figures.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I'm thinking the attendance figures might be exaggerated...it's a MAX number of tickets to be sold, no guarantee the folks will show up! The weather could be 90 degrees+ or windy and cold like F1 week last year. It's not a long drive from my place...I might take a shot at it ! I wonder what the local dealers think of this fest. A zillion dollars in sales DIRECT to the company? No benefit to them, yet it could be their customers. Who's collecting the sales tax?

It's a little further from me since I am on the other side of Houston. Guess I'll wait for the reports.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Exactly what I was thinking; but considering the number of tickets per day (5000), I was wondering if I'd get the chance!

I'm not much of a gambler; but, I'd bet they have closer to 1500-2000 paid attendees...just my gut feeling. Actually, my gut says closer to 1000 each day.
    It ain't Schlitterbahn in August, ya know! ;)

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Exactly what I was thinking; but considering the number of tickets per day (5000), I was wondering if I'd get the chance!

I was wondering that too, but I did go to BOTW during the "2nd Amendment Day" last year or the year before. It was crowded, but not so much that I, a completely clueless rube was able to get a lane to myself all day. So I think it could go either way. Maybe because that was more political? But they had the exact same deal going on at that time too.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    The more they advertise the more it seems they're not hitting the max capacity and on that basis the more I'm interested in attending. Honestly if the max was 1000, or simply not stated I'd probably just buy a ticket today, but 5000 people sounds like a hell I want to avoid.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Not interested in the least.

this high entry fee, everything is free style is not for me. I have no patience to wait in lines.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Well, it's been nearly three weeks since anyone has written a peep about the 'festival'....and that long since I thought about it! I'm still going to check the weather forecast and take a chance that a one-day ticket will still be available 'last minute' IF I decide to go.

A little odd that I've been to the range 2-3 times a week and have lunch with the 'TGT fellas' on Fridays here in town; but there's not been a mention of the event. Naturally, retailers won't likely encourage support since 'their' customer might be persuaded to purchase at the event itself. If I hadn't seen this thread, I would not have known about the goings on.

txcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Thinking about going. Want to test these two products that haven't hit stores yet: Sig MPX and Walther CCP.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    A couple years ago Larue did a range day event just like this at Best of the West and it was great.
    Long lines for sure, but each bay (smallest about 25x25 yards and largest about 30 x 600 yards by my recollection) out of maybe 15 had some different setup with different toys to try out.
    My favorite was a head to head micro 3 gun match where each person on a 3 man team shot either rifle, shotgun or pistol on their set of appropriate targets.
    There was even a conex box night vision setup and long range course of 200/300/600 yard shots with the Larue OBR and PredatAR.

At the time, me and the guys I went with were in agreement that we'd go again even if it was twice the cost (think it was around $60).
    I'm going and if it is even close to as good I'll feel like it was a steal, and since this one has many vendor sponsors I suspect it will be even better.

Top Bottom