• satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    OMG look out! That viscous pitbull is about to eat your baby! :laughing:

TheDan; deemus,

When my niece, who was then 5-6YO, she often asked "my sister of the heart", Sara, "Mommy, can I go out & play?"
    Sara routinely said, "Yes Sweetie, you may. Take Sheba with you."
    "The Princess" said, "OK, Mommy, Come on Sheba, let's go play."
    One afternoon, that commonplace exchange happened, as it often did when we lived in Prince William County, VA & a GF of Sara's was visiting. - She said, "I cannot believe that you are letting that little child go outside to play alone!"

Sara said, "Millie is not alone. - - -- -Sheba is with her."
    (Sheba was my about 80# spayed AKITA bitch/guard-dog & FEROCIOUSLY devoted to my niece. = Had anyone been FOOLISH enough to bother my niece while the 2 of them were "playing in the yard", it would not have been "pretty to see".)
    Note: Fwiw, Sheba is gone now but I miss her still.
    (I adopted Sheba from the Baltimore Pound, when she was about 2YO.)

yours, satx
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    An Akita is the only dog I’ve ever been afraid of. I worked at a vet and encountered all kinds. Akita’s were the only ones I ever felt threatened by.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Back in my youth I had a good friend whose family owned a big garage. They had the proverbial junkyard dog out back in their fenced area.

One day we were back there looking for something. I was warned about the dog, but went over to check him out. My buddy was freaking out because the whole family was scared of it. They only would get at chains length to him.

I walked up on the dog and it was wagging it’s tail. As I started petting him, he grabbed my foot. This was huge dog and it picked my foot up. He had enough pressure on my foot to pick it up, but not enough to hurt me.

That dog could have easily mauled me, but didn’t. I actually think that dog was just starved for attention. After that whenever I went there I go visit that dog. The family remained scared of it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've only one Akita story.
    My cousin, a 98lb teeny girl, got one for protection purposes. It was a beautiful animal but damn that thing got huge. Threatening was an understatement.
    It became very attached to her. So much so no one could go near her. Even us family members who were around a lot.
    That thing would sit by cousin and just sort of low growl.
    It never bit anyone as far as I know but when it got to barking you'd think an angry grizzly bear was there.
    I tried to buddy up to it but it never warmed up to me. Even with treats it wouldn't be friendly. Just sort of sat back looking at me. Would never take a treat from my hands. Only if I tossed the treat over to it.
    I could see in its eyes, Oh Look! Here's that idiot human again. LOL.
    She had that dog for many years. When she became engaged even the fiance' had to tread very carefully.
    He would of been eaten alive.
    LMAO

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    An Akita is the only dog I’ve ever been afraid of. I worked at a vet and encountered all kinds. Akita’s were the only ones I ever felt threatened by.

One of my former neighbors had an Akita.... that was a friendly enough dog, but very strong, very high energy. It's nails put a long wound down my arm when I leaned over the fence to greet it one day. It also barked continuously and tore up anything and everything left out in the yard. It even ate the siding on the house. Poor thing was lonely because it's single mom owner had to work. A dog like that shouldn't be left home alone all day. They need their owners... same breed as that famous Japanese dog that mourned it's owner for so many years.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

deemus; The Dan; Hoji; All,

Fwiw, ANY of the large/working/pit-fighting/hunting breeds are BIG/STRONG/PROTECTIVE enough to "take a bad guy out" and/or to be "dangerous" if they are poorly socialized, have been abused, are poorly handled and/or just untrained.

Over the last half century, I've owned German Shepherds, Akitas, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chow-Chows, Weimaraners, assorted pointing breeds & a couple of BIG/STRONG crossbreeds.
    (As I've said elsewhere, my adopted family's plantation in SC has a pair of English Mastiffs that ARE dangerous if you are a trespassing thug/night-prowler/fence-climber/2 or 4 footed predator and/or are just "generally up to no good".)

FWIW, the ONE dog that our family has owned over these 50+ years that I was "a bit leery of" was my kid sister's adopted Rough Coated Collie, that Nancy "brought home from the pound" - My sister "adopted" Colleen because "the pound's professional staff" was TERRIFIED OF HER & "wanted to put her down" == "COLLEEN" was one "to be carefully watched" for everyone except my late mother or my kid sister. = Colleen was "cocked & unlocked"/ready to fight 24/365 throughout her decade of life.
    (My sister & her "life-long best friend", Mercy, have essentially "owned & operated" our "hometown & county" Animal Control Facility & the local ASPCA chapter for over 3 decades, even though the Animal Control Agency actually belongs to the city/county government.)

just my personal opinions, satx

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20210324_200642.jpg

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Looks like one of those doggos that will bite the shit out of anyone that gets near her pet chimp while she is being held.

Nah, she'd just want her belly scratched.

ETA: But she's pretty good with the "evil eye" when it comes to canine strangers ...

Attachments

• LapDog2.JPG
      LapDog2.JPG
      255.2 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Socialization
    Attention
    Training
    The THREE keys to making ANY dog a GOOD dog

Socialize it often and with a latge variety of people/places.

PAY attention to it. A dog needs more than put outside fed and watered. You like being left alone hours on end and then ignored when someone is around.? Dogs the same.
    Teach/Train it.

The dog is ONLY as smart as it owner/master MAKES it all dogs are born equally dum aside from what nature provided um. Anything else YOU need to teach them.

However not all but for sure too many pet owners do NOT do some,or any of these things.

Yet they wonder why (and blame the animal) their pwt is so STUPID.

Grab a mirror youll see your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ec99a5529428cd7f5f2768216f76be66.jpg

e0d426e6fddbc8c3b5178f6fdf9b0682.jpg

Bevo had him 12 yrs. been gone 6 now. Still miss the foo.

Top Bottom