• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'd like to add a TX history book to our collection. Any recommendations on a gold standard? I especially do not want books with the injection of PC BS.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i dont know if its a "gold standard" - but i'm reading "Three Roads to the Alamo"....fascinating look at Crockett, Houston and Bowie

i highly recommend

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I dunno about one book. IMHO, Texas history is a lot more about the people than the state. One of the few books I have held on to ( I got rid of an SUV load when I moved ) is Sword of San Jacinto: The Life of Sam Houston. One of my all time favorite books.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Dobie

I'd like to add a TX history book to our collection. Any recommendations on a gold standard? I especially do not want books with the injection of PC BS.

The old classics written by Texas historian/folklorist/raconteur, J. Frank Dobie, way back in the early years of the Twentieth Century, have never been bettered. Dobie's stories begin with the aboriginal "Native Americans" and Spanish Conquistadors.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the titles folks. I will track down those selections. Still taking suggestions. Like stxkid mentioned about correlating events I'd like to do a bit of that as I continue to work on my family genealogy. Keep those suggestions coming.

One of the things on my To Do list is due a season of road trips hitting up the historical places, like a field trip. I want to do it on a motorcycle but I'd take it in the truck, maybe do some camping and definitely eating BBQ where we go. I would like to do a tour of Texas and soak up the traditions we've come to love.

Top Bottom