Patriot Mobile

Texas Hog Kill Zone - Does caliber matter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    He all. I've been a member of TGT for a while, but haven't really posted anything before, but now I finally have reason to. I'll be going hog hunting for the 1st time in just a few weeks up at a buddy of mine's 1000-acre cattle ranch. I just purchased a beautiful new Browning BAR Shortrak 308. As an added bonus, A buddy of mine gifted me one of those ND3 Green Laser Designators which I mounted to it, and which I can't wait to try out at night. (ND3 Green Laser Designator for hunting and EMT | Laser Genetics)

Anyway... seeing it's my 1st time hog hunting here in TX, I had a quick question I thought y'all might be able to chime in on. I know there are plenty of posts out there on the proper kill zone for the hog, but they still seem to disagree on the best spot out of what looks to be 3 "kill shots". 1) Head, right behind the ear; 2) just below and behind the front shoulder, like almost right under that front "arm pit"; or 3) actually at, or right above the front shoulder.

So... here's the question. Does the caliber matter on which of these three is best? Also, given that I'll be using the 308, what are your thoughts on that particular caliber and its effectiveness against these darlin' little piggies.

Finally, any of you out there have any experience with the Browning BAR Shortrack 308? I've heard great things, and I've been really impressed with the gun out at the range. Folks at Reds thought I had an excellent gun, and the guy (can't remember name) who helped me zero it really thought it had excellent trigger action.

Anyway.... looking forward to hearing from you.
    Target Sports

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Head shots only here. The brain is centered hieght wise and very slightly behind the ear canal, in line with where the skull makes a peak at the top of the head. Aim for the ear canal or slightly behind and you will stop him in his tracks. The ONLY time I make a shot any different than this is when they are on the move, FAST. Then it's center of the shoulder blade. It's a much easier shot and will knock thier front leg(s) out.

A shot to the brain is easy and quick, but they will bleed a lot. It's very clean when you are dressing them out though.

This diagram might help with understanding of the anatomy:
    View attachment 3536

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So... here's the question. Does the caliber matter on which of these three is best? Also, given that I'll be using the 308, what are your thoughts on that particular caliber and its effectiveness against these darlin' little piggies.

Anything out of a 308 will kill a pig quickly with proper shot placement. I've killed MANY hogs with a 168 grain SMK to the brain from a 308, all the way down to a 77 grain SMK from an AR. The 308 has plenty of power to take anything in Texas, head, heart or lung shot.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've not owned or shot a Browning BAR, but from what I've been told by some that own them that is it's a very nice hunting weapon.

As far as kill zone and targeting different areas based on the caliber you're shooting, I'll let those with more experience chime in on that, but I'm pretty sure shooting a .223 vs a .308 would make a difference in placement for a clean kill.

Since a .308 is considered completely capable of taking any North American animal, save maybe Brown or Grizzly bear, I would think just about anywhere in the kill zone would be fine.

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That diagram is beautiful! LMAO. Might be very useful if I encounter HOG-zilla.

BTW, what sort of size should I be expecting for TX hogs? Or are they boars? That's the other thing I haven't quite figured out. I hear people using the words "hogs" and "boars" interchangably, but, if I'm not mistaken, they are actually two different species aren't they?

Anyway, are the common TX hog/boar/pigs in the 200 lb range? More? Less?

I'm using a 150 grain soft tip bullet, so I should be good with that right?

Finally, has anyone used that laser designator I mentioned? I'd be interested in thoughts on that, but maybe need to look at the "accessories" series of posts.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    A .308 with 150 grains should be more than enough. If the hog looks bigger than 150 lbs. they're terrible eating. In the case of a big hog, I've just aimed for fur to get rid of them. If it's a smaller hog and you want to make some sausage, then headshots.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Aim for the shoulder or head, hogs are tough little dudes, moreso than deer. They have a 1.5 - 2" cartilage "vest" that is pretty damn hard and that is where people get into trouble. It helps to expand rounds, but fast stuff will fragment premature, like .204 Ruger and varmint-weight .223 Remington.

Using a 75+ gr. .223 or any .308 will work sufficiently. We gassed one with a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved the other day and it dropped him lights out on the spot.

Aiming for the front shoulder does a few things, it shatters the front shoulder, pushing the bone frag into his lungs and heart, and removes mobility. The bullet should carry through the shoulder and punch a hole in the lungs. The heart is located to the rear a bit (hence the behind the shoulder shot), but the pipes run to the lungs. A good .308 bullet will punch through one good sized hog and still be lethal to one behind it. Soft points work well, there is little need for a premium bullet.

Average hog weight in Central Texas is probably 200 lbs. ... high side is approaching 400+ lbs. The boar that we nailed with the .257 Roberts was 275 lbs. give or take a few.

I work at Red's South if you have more questions, or just post them here.

BTW, Hogs can carry bloodborne diseases, be sure to wear gloves when you clean one.

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks TX1911. Actually, we've spoken before in your shop (but only once) and I can thank you for giving me the business card with the TXGT site info on it.

Any suggest a good site on TX hog hunting that has good photos/diagrams of the hogs and the suggested kill zones? I'm sure I can find something if I search around a bit, but wondered if anyone knew of one in particular they thought was good.

I'd love one with actual photos of the hogs w/ arrows pointing to the specific locations. I'd just like to get a decent picture in my head of the hog, and the location I'm going to want to be aiming for before I actually go out. I work well with target visualization and I'm able to translate it to the field fairly effectively. Just haven't gone after the hogs before so I just don't have that visual picture in my head.

DennisB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That diagram is beautiful! LMAO. Might be very useful if I encounter HOG-zilla.

Finally, has anyone used that laser designator I mentioned? I'd be interested in thoughts on that, but maybe need to look at the "accessories" series of posts.

I'm sorta new here too, but just have to chip in on the ND3. I've used one the last few trips out and can say that it's a nifty "toy" for night shooting. It'll put a strong beam easily out as far as you need. At, say, 100 yards, you can narrow it down to a quarter-size beam or widen it out so your whole scope lens is lit. Really wierd to see green eye reflections, too.
    Good hunting,
    Dennis

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I primarily hunt with a .308 with SSTs 150 gr; which I've had multiple kills and one get away..

As said before, hogs are tough animals and very smart. (Smarter than most realize). I suggest, if you do go out with a smaller caliber (.223, .204 etc.); limit your hog size to 150 lbs or less and go for the head or neck. Trying to hit a 200 to 400 pounder with smaller caliber just might get you into some trouble that you don't want. If you carry a side arm, make sure your ammo is FMJs. The key to killing these beast is penetration. Hollow Points on a pistol tend to expand to fast and don't hit the vitals. As for ammo for rifles, on a .30 cal. you should be fine with most hunting round. With a smaller caliber, the Barnes Bullet seems to become a proven round. Allows good penetration and the bullet keeping 99%+ of it's weight. Unlike leaded bullets, they tend to fragment to fast.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rodngun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    College Station
    I agree with the head shot,right behind the ear.I kill em with a 270 140gr Accubond.Never had a deer or hog walk away from me.270 is great becuz if your in the wide open its a good long range gun,if your in brush it will still do the job.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I agree with the head shot,right behind the ear.I kill em with a 270 140gr Accubond.Never had a deer or hog walk away from me.270 is great becuz if your in the wide open its a good long range gun,if your in brush it will still do the job.

I use a 45-70, 325 grain, If I miss a heart, head shot and just wound the hog they usually do not get far. I am going to Georgia this fall for a hog hunt, they have bigger hogs than we do. I may use 405 grain ammo. If you carry a pistol as back up use a large caliber or a magnum, I carry a 45 LC.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My 9mm 124 gr. HST punched through the chest plate, ribs, lungs, and lodged into the opposite rib cage.

2.jpg

There's the bullet when we removed it.

10.jpg

The offender.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I routinely hunt with a mini-14 shooting 5.56 NATO 55 grain FMJ and haven't had an issue taking down anything I hit with it. Another trick we are using is bullet blast. I hunt with a retired game warden who ran this up the pipe to the Austin and we have the laminated letter we carry just in case...use 1/2 pound of bullet blast 24 inches above the ground, mounted close to the trough or feeder...and when the hogs come in, shoot it first. The blast will knock down and stun anything within 20 feet, giving you a chance to make nice, easy shots. When hunting for sport, it's one thing, when hunting to kill all of the varmints you can, it's another. These Ferrell hogs will eat ANYTHING, have seen them eat a dead cow and leave nothing but the hoof. and are running off the deer. Another tip, buy a 20 pound bag of raspberry jello and mix it with your feed, the hogs love it...

SDC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Burnet
    I agree with all on shot placement, caliber , etc. but remember the main thing is to kill as many as possible. The reproductive rate and damage done by them is far out of control across the US. I have trapped hogs, shot hogs, ran them with dogs and killed with knife or gun, but just remember to kill all you can safely, because we will still have 10 more to everyone you kill. Don't even bother to try to eat a boar unless you are making tomales or something that really covers the odor by slow cooking and lots of spices. Only a young pig or a fat baron sow is fit to eat. Let all others lay. Buzzards have to eat too.

Kilowatt3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Don't even bother to try to eat a boar unless you are making tomales or something that really covers the odor by slow cooking and lots of spices. Only a young pig or a fat baron sow is fit to eat. Let all others lay. Buzzards have to eat too.
    Greetings fellows,

I'm brand new here, and pretty new at hog hunting, too. Been on three hunts, fired four shots, and taken home four hogs. I'm looking forward to reading more here and learning a lot from you guys.

I have to take issue with the oft-repeated advice that big hogs are no good to eat! I've eaten a whole lot of 200+ pound wild hog meat, and most of it has been really good. Whether or not a hog is good to eat has a lot more to it than just how big they are - the weather, diet, time of year, mating behaviors, and God knows what else can affect the taste of the meat.

My last pig was a 394-pound bar hog, and the ribs and sausage from it were about as good as it gets. The ribs had to cook all day in the crock-pot to get just right, but they were fantastic. Better than most wild game I've had, and better than any venison. One thing to keep in mind is not to get too put off by the smell - a lot of the wild pork I've cooked stank (stunk?) to high heaven when it first started cooking, but ended up with no trace of gamey or bad taste.

My brother-in-law and a couple of friends have shot several 200+ pounders, both boars and sows, and they were all GREAT when fixed right! I'm sure there are lots of nasty, gamey, foul-tasting pigs out there, but I haven't run across one yet. Lot's of them smelled pretty bad, though!

I'll try to attach a pic of my big bar hog here, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing, so bear with me if it doesn't work...

BigPig8b.jpg
    OK, I guess it did.

Anyway, good to 'meet' you all - see you around!

Regards,
    Jim

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom