Join TexasGunTalk

Texas laws on receiving a handgun as a gift/private party transaction.

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Thevekose, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Thevekose

Thevekose New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I recently turned 18 and came to find out I could not buy a handgun (at least from an FFL),my father who has many handguns says I can receive one of his as a gift or since he is considered a "private party" I can purchase from him as well,being skeptical I asked one of my local police officers and he said it was illegal for me to even receive one as a gift,I just want a third opinion here and please back up your info with a link to where you read it,I do not want to get into trouble with the law!

2. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Never mind.

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Cop is wrong. Read Texas penal code 46.06

4. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay...you'll accept the incorrect statement of an LEO, and demand proof of folks that live and breath guns?

Do as you wish. As a private party, I'll sell to anyone 18 years of age or over that may own a gun with an ATF agent standing there watching me. You want proof - look it up yourself on the ATF website........I *know* the law.

5. Koinonia

Koinonia Well-Known

Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    18+ for handgun in Texas. It is also in the "Handgun safety Act" booklet you get from the FFL. It says possession of one under 18 years of age.

6. Thevekose

Thevekose New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I did not demand anything sir,I just asked you back up your info with a reliable source,you have to understand that I do not want my 2nd amendment rights to be revoked because something as trivial as whether or not I am old enough to own a handgun (which imho is a stupid law if they want you to be a certain age for buying a firearm it need to be across the board not just saying "oh you can buy this gun but not this gun because it has bad features on it." I wanted to be absolutely sure that I was not unknowingly committing a felony offense.The law may be stupid but I still have to obey it,and fight it in the hopes that it is repealed in the future.

Thanks for the help guys I read that 46.06 penal code and it confirms that I can buy from a private party or receive a handgun as a gift at the age of 18.

7. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict

Jul 1, 2011
    Thevekose = alaska1996 = ???

8. Thevekose

Thevekose New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I have no idea who "alaska1996" is sorry.

9. A.Texas.Yankee

A.Texas.Yankee TGT Addict

Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You still won't be able to purchase ammo if I'm not mistaken. I think rifle and pistol ammo purchases from a retailer are still =+21.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

10. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    rifle no. not sure about pistol