• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElmoHowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    ATX
    I'm not worried about deer hunting issues or hearing loss. I just think suppressors should be legal for hunting because, if I'm not doing anything wrong
    why should anyone be able to tell me what I can or can't use. Funny, in many anti-gun European countries there's no problem buying suppressors for
    hunting or range use.

What he said, but minimizing hearing loss is a plus...
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What he said, but minimizing hearing loss is a plus...

Yep ... most your rifle cans don't cut it down enough to stop hearing loss. There's still plenty of noise. It just lessens it to a more tolerable level.

Poachers are going to poach, the addition of making it legal to hunt game animals with suppressors isn't going to increase poaching. The way around this is to make it illegal to poach with a suppressor and carry a massive fine. That way it's legal for the law-abiding, and even MORE punishing for those that choose to poach and get caught.

Frankly, I'm of the mindset that we need to revamp the hunting and fishing code anyways. Suppressors, changed seasons, etc. would be the top of my list, but in general I feel that TXPW does a pretty good job.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I highly doubt a poacher would go through the rigmarole to get a NFA stamp for a suppressor so they could be "half legal".
    +1

They might have an argument, if suppressors were legal. I would still favor legalizing suppressed hunting. It's a health issue.

WestFork

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    If I would have had a suppressor while in Iraq, I wouldn't have this ringing in my ears that never goes away, I would have to ask my wife while stalk hunting, do you hear anything. I know that I can only hear about half as good as my wife can. Years of hunting without a suppressor and going to Iraq has taken it's toll, What's sad is, it could have all be prevented with a suppressor. I also used ear plugs for the most part, but you can't always get those in your ears in time while hunting. Now I have a tax stamp coming in this week for YHM suppressor so I hope this law gets changed to something that makes sense.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    BTW, whats the penalty for hunting with a suppressor?

I can't find it. I am starting to think hunting with suppressors is actually legal in Texas, regardless of what the handbook says.

There's this:

Sec. 61.054. PROCLAMATIONS OF THE COMMISSION. (a) Regulation of the hunting, taking, or possession of game animals, game birds, or aquatic animal life under this chapter shall be by proclamation of the commission.
    (b) A proclamation of the commission authorizing the hunting, taking, or possession of game animals, game birds, or aquatic animal life must specify:
    (1) the species, quantity, age or size, and, to the extent possible, the sex of the game animals, game birds, or aquatic animal life authorized to be hunted, taken, or possessed;
    (2) the means or method that may be used to hunt, take, or possess the game animals, game birds, or aquatic animal life; and
    (3) the region, county, area, body of water, or portion of a county where the game animals, game birds, or aquatic animal life may be hunted, taken, or possessed.
    Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 507, ch. 213, Sec. 3, eff. Aug. 31, 1981; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1256, Sec. 78, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
    Sec. 61.901. PENALTIES. (a) Except as provided in this section, a person who violates any provision of this chapter or any proclamation or regulation of the commission issued under the authority of this chapter commits an offense that is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who violates a proclamation of the commission relating to the daily catch, retention, and size limits for redfish or speckled sea trout taken for noncommercial purposes is guilty of an offense and is punishable for the first and subsequent offenses by the penalties prescribed by Sections 66.2011(d) and 66.218 of this code

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I can't find it. I am starting to think hunting with suppressors is actually legal in Texas, regardless of what the handbook says.

It's in the handbook. Simply say's firearms with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are not legal. Doesnt even say "not Legal for what either". It's just listed in the firearms section on page 56 of the 2010-2011 handbook. Penal code, I dont know. But what I do know is the game warden is always right.
    I agree and have thought about this for years. I actually think it would be a great partner to wildlife conservation to allow sound-suppressors. The crack from a large caliber rifle spooks game for a long distance. I was hunting about 2 miles from a SOB this year. He shoot a 338 or something sized like a canon. I was looking at some deer about 300 yards from me getting ready to nail one when he took a shot. The crackle from his shot spooked my deer!
    I really think large game conservation could benefit from noise reduction. Hell, poaching is already illegal, so is night hunting of Game animals. So why do we need noise devise restrictions?
    This is something I think im going to work on.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's in the handbook. Simply say's firearms with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are not legal. Doesnt even say "not Legal for what either". It's just listed in the firearms section on page 56 of the 2010-2011 handbook. Penal code, I dont know. But what I do know is the game warden is always right.
    I agree and have thought about this for years. I actually think it would be a great partner to wildlife conservation to allow sound-suppressors. The crack from a large caliber rifle spooks game for a long distance. I was hunting about 2 miles from a SOB this year. He shoot a 338 or something sized like a canon. I was looking at some deer about 300 yards from me getting ready to nail one when he took a shot. The crackle from his shot spooked my deer!
    I really think large game conservation could benefit from noise reduction. Hell, poaching is already illegal, so is night hunting of Game animals. So why do we need noise devise restrictions?
    This is something I think im going to work on.
    I know it's in the handbook, but that is meaningless unless it is also in the code somewhere.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    § 12.23. CLASS C MISDEMEANOR.
    An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.
    Did I just answer my own question? Could they confiscate your firearm as well?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Did I just answer my own question? Could they confiscate your firearm as well?

Yep, fine only. You can be arrested at the Peace Officer's discretion, and he could seize your suppressed firearm as evidence. You can also lose your hunting license.

Top Bottom