• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was following you until that. If it's not illegal, there is nothing to arrest you for. If there is no arrest, there is no illegal confiscation, and no prosecution. If they charge you with something else, it'll have to be because there is probable cause to chante you with something.

Someone else's reaction to a legal act does not constitute an illegal act.

Lebanon sheriff revokes soccer mom's gun permit - PennLive.com

She got arrested and her permit taken away. She didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure she got her permit back, but only after going through the expense and pain in the butt of lawyers.
    Military Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Lebanon sheriff revokes soccer mom's gun permit - PennLive.com

She got arrested and her permit taken away. She didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure she got her permit back, but only after going through the expense and pain in the butt of lawyers.

Hang on, I have an article from Ireland.......

That's Pennsylvania and in a county where conceal carry permits are issued in a very different way that in Texas and there is no law prohibiting open carry. He took it away because of bad judgment as he dd not have just cause and yes, she got it back. He has the power to revoke because he approves/issues them, unlike in Texas.

Have you followed that story to the end to see how it played out and how it's different than Texas?

I agree that was a ridiculous situation that a soccer coach and the Sheriff stepped way out of line. A soccer coach got out of line and asked her to leave the area and she refused. We don't know how any of that went down. Although that couldn't happen here, there's no guarantee some LEO might try to take someone for a ride in a similar manner, but if the law is right, they don't have the means. How many CHL holders do you hear of being taken on a ride just because LE wants to flex some muscle or prove a point?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hang on, I have an article from Ireland.......

That's Pennsylvania and in a county where conceal carry permits are issued in a very different way that in Texas and there is no law prohibiting open carry. He took it away because of bad judgment as he dd not have just cause and yes, she got it back. He has the power to revoke because he approves/issues them, unlike in Texas.

Have you followed that story to the end to see how it played out and how it's different than Texas?

I agree that was a ridiculous situation that a soccer coach and the Sheriff stepped way out of line. A soccer coach got out of line and asked her to leave the area and she refused. We don't know how any of that went down. Although that couldn't happen here, there's no guarantee some LEO might try to take someone for a ride in a similar manner, but if the law is right, they don't have the means. How many CHL holders do you hear of being taken on a ride just because LE wants to flex some muscle or prove a point?

JTex, links to Hain's files (Permit appeal hearing & lawsuit complaint) as well as all post related are hosted on OCDO in Pennsylvania's forum. Hain's home forum is PaFOA and information is there too.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    JKTex, I see your point about this is Texas and that is Pennsylvania.

I guess there is a reason I chose to live in a free state.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So you live in Pennsylvania? Texas does not allow open carry...not much of a free state.

Of course Texas allows open carry. You can open carry on your own premises or premises under your control, when hunting or involved in another sporting activity where handguns are commomly used, when traveling...Security Guards MUST carry in plain view.

Of course, that says nothing of LEOs who can open carry anytime,

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Of course Texas allows open carry. You can open carry on your own premises or premises under your control, when hunting or involved in another sporting activity where handguns are commomly used, when traveling...Security Guards MUST carry in plain view.

Of course, that says nothing of LEOs who can open carry anytime,

Why do we have to go through this again? You know exactly what kind of open carry freedom we are all talking about. The "allowances" you list are not what the petition or opencarry.org refers to.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Why do we have to go through this again? You know exactly what kind of open carry freedom we are all talking about. The "allowances" you list are not what the petition or opencarry.org refers to.

The petition states flat out that Texas is one of only SIX states in the entire United States "that completely bans open carry of handguns".

That is not true in any fashion. If it read, "Texas generally bans the open carry of handguns unless very special conditions are met", then it would be true.

The petition does not refer to ANY allowance. That is my issue. It is a lie, an intentional lie to mislead and dramatize. It also does not matter that I know the law, the petition is not directed at me.

Again, if you want open carry then argue for that, but don't make a bunch of unrelated, false and misleading statements to argue it.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Is this movement going to gain traction this term? Has anyone in the leg sponsored or agreed to sponsor a bill supporting this?

Supposedly yes, but I don't know if they have made themselves known yet. It seemed to be a mystery.

Surprisingly there is quite a bit of public acknowledgment and support by everyone from Gov. Perry to other State law makers.

I need to dig again and see if it's even in committee yet. It'd be nice to see if there's enough support to see it get edited and moving. Otherwise, just like CHL's, it may take several sessions.

rodnocker1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Leona, Texas
    Although I probably wouldn't open carry much, it would be nice to have the option and not have to keep holding my vest down in a breeze. I don't, however, see general open carry (meaning unlicensed) as being passed. Too much lost revenue for the State from those of us wanting to stay legal and willing to pay for the "Right".

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I think it would be just awesome to be able to wear a hogleg strapped onto your leg, old west style. It would be an impractical mode of carry and the old single action revolvers are technologically obsolete in comparison to modern firearms, but oh, the 'cool' factor.

Plus, I think people would start being a hell of a lot more polite to one another.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    I di dsign this petition back last year-- while it may need to be worded better, I do support the intent. I am an CCL holder and I do carry 99% of the places I am legally allowed to carry..

This being said, I would like the opportunity to wear a TUCKED IN SHIRT and carry my XD on my side where it is comfotable. Would I OC all the time? probably not, but it would be nice to-- especially when I am hunting if I run into Wally WOrld and pick up some odds and ends and not have to take my pistol off. OC should be a right just as CC should be a RIGHT and not a "privilage"-- But into today's world until the government falls (ANd it probably will someday) I will settle with just having the legal ability to carry open, just as I have the ability to legally carry concealed.

Probably won't happen this year, but maybe by next-- unless Obama tries to take our rights away..but that is another argument..

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It is just a poll. There is no OC bill before the Texas legislature.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted. I was under the impression there was a sponsor and a bill was being drafted, but the Legislator who was going to introduce it was a mystery person.

Looking at it again, I can't see where there's been much done at that level at all. I may be missing something though. There is a name now, Mary Diddle, a state Representative from Houston who is supposedly soon going to introduce the bill, but reading on the open carry sight, unless I'm misreading, her office really isn't that familiar with it and has even commented to callers that there hasn't been many voices heard on the subject.

That in spite of the fact that according to that Organization, based in Virginia, there has been radio as well as bill board campaigns going on.

I know there must be something I'm missing... This can't just be an invisible movement stuck in internet forum land.....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I know there must be something I'm missing... This can't just be an invisible movement stuck in internet forum land.....

What is missing is TSRA/NRA support for the bill. I do not think there has ever been a gun bill in recent memory that was passed that they did not drive. And if the bill is not pre-filed, it is likely not to pass either. You need to have all your ducks in a row BEFORE the session starts, and even then you have 50% or less chance of getting it passed.

Top Bottom