• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hinkster18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    San antonio
    Just introduced myself in a forum like 15 min ago. I wanted to see if anybody would know anything about my question. My license right now is of florida residency. Im planning within the next 2 weeks to change it to texas . So i can get a texas id. Is there any waiting period that i have to wait before i can buy a rifle or can i buy one as soon as im a resident? Ive been here in san antonio for about a year now
    Capitol Armory ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just introduced myself in a forum like 15 min ago. I wanted to see if anybody would know anything about my question. My license right now is of florida residency. Im planning within the next 2 weeks to change it to texas . So i can get a texas id. Is there any waiting period that i have to wait before i can buy a rifle or can i buy one as soon as im a resident? Ive been here in san antonio for about a year now

No waiting period in Texas. Just whatever the Feds require. Buy as soon as you are a resident. Most out-of-state can buy a rifle/shotgun if not resident, not sure if FL can though since they have local laws.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I got my TX DL and immediately bought a XD-45 afterward (literally, I went from the DMV to Sportsman's Warehouse to get it), so no waiting period whatsoever...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If you are in the Armed Forces stationed in Texas, you do not need to be a resident to purchase a firearm here: Military ID Card + Orders.

If not, you must (just off the top of my head):

(1) Rent or own for One Year (keep all utility bills as proof).

(2) Register your vehicle(s) in Texas & get a Texas DL, plus Texas insurance coverage.

(3) Register to vote.

(4) Proof of having worked in Texas for the year.

Be well.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    I would challenge the advice below. Perhaps it is taken out of context. You certainly do not have to be a registered voter to be a resident or purchase a handgun. Might even be some store policy, but I doubt it represents a legal definition.

If you are in the Armed Forces stationed in Texas, you do not need to be a resident to purchase a firearm here: Military ID Card + Orders.

(2) Register your vehicle(s) in Texas & get a Texas DL, plus Texas insurance coverage.

(3) Register to vote.

Be well.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

(3) Register to vote.

Be well.
    Where is ANY of this in any law?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

(3) Register to vote.

Wait, are you saying this is required to establish Texas residency when buying a gun?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

(3) Register to vote.

Be well.

wow. None of that is accurate

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    After consideration I removed my inflammatory remarks in response. I just don't care enough to get in a pissing match on the Internet. My first post in this thread is entirely accurate. I guess you have to reach a certain post number to be allowed a little levity according to some.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    After consideration I removed my inflammatory remarks in response. I just don't care enough to get in a pissing match on the Internet. My first post in this thread is entirely accurate. I guess you have to reach a certain post number to be allowed a little levity according to some.

No it is wrong for guns or in-state tuition. Register to vote has never been a requirement for anything, not even for voting but it does make it easier.

ETA:

Example - Many students are not even 18 when they enter college, thus they cannot register to vote. Yet they can get in-state tuition. And then there are the illegals, let's not go there...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Dude, first this thread is about firearms and not admission to college. Second, you were wrong, and then arrogant about it. It has nothing to do with post count.

And just FYI, the state of Texas comments on residency regarding college;

Individuals can establish residency in two basic ways, one based on graduation from high school and the other based on the establishment of domicile. The option related to establishment of domicile is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students who hold certain types of visas.
    [h=2]Option 1: Residency through High School Graduation[/h]This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students.
    To establish residency through high school graduation, you must
    1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
    2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
    3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12th class day) of the semester in which you enroll at UT Austin (or another college or university).
    If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Residency Affidavit stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so.
    [h=2]Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile[/h]This option for establishing Texas residency is available to
    • Citizens or permanent residents of the US (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.)
    • International students who hold an eligible visa.
    If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.
    To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
    1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
    2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
    • Be gainfully employedin Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
    • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
    • Own and operate a business in Texas
    • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas
    Establishing Residency | Be a Longhorn

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Dude, first this thread is about firearms and not admission to college. Second, you were wrong, and then arrogant about it. It has nothing to do with post count.

And just FYI, the state of Texas comments on residency regarding college;

[/LIST]Establishing Residency | Be a Longhorn

First, you are correct. However, I specifically stated in the post that they were correct in reference to another topic, as has been done on numerous occasions by others.
    Second, the only part of my post that was wrong was not correcting shortrounds contention that they are required. As for arrogant, that's possible as well.

Lastly, as I said before. I just don't care to get in a contest so this will be my final response to this subject.

The following was my source.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    First, you are correct. However, I specifically stated in the post that they were correct in reference to another topic, as has been done on numerous occasions by others.
    Really? You are arguing that posting what you THINK are college admissions requirements in a thread about firearms in an attempt to show someone wrong (me) about incorrectly posted info, is acceptable?
    Second, the only part of my post that was wrong was not correcting shortrounds contention that they are required.
    Much of your post was wrong, not just stating they are required. Voters reg, as well as car registration records are not on the list provided by UT.
    Your link does not work.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Would you like to start another thread to continue this discussion? The link works when I click on it. I don't know how to put it in any other way so here is the url. "www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf"http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

Members Who Change their Residency to Texas.
    Coordinating Board Rules, Chapter 21, Subchapter B, Section 21.26(b)(11)(F):
    A member of the U.S. Armed Forces whose state of record is not Texas may change
    his/her residency to Texas and the member, and/or his or her spouse or child may pay resident
    tuition if he/she:
    (i) has been assigned to duty in Texas at least 12 consecutive months, during which the
    member files proper documentation with the military to change his/her permanent residence to Texas, and
    (ii) meets four of the 8 conditions listed below for the 12 months prior to enrollment:
    (I) has purchased a residence in Texas and claim it as a homestead;
    (II) has registered to vote in Texas;
    (III) has registered an automobile in Texas; has maintained a Texas driver’s license;
    (IV) has maintained checking, savings or safety deposit box in Texas;
    (V) has had a will or other legal documents on file in Texas that indicates residence in Texas;
    (VI) has established membership in professional organizations or other state organizations; and/or
    has established a business in Texas.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Would you like to start another thread to continue this discussion? The link works when I click on it. I don't know how to put it in any other way so here is the url. "www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf"http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

Members Who Change their Residency to Texas.
    Coordinating Board Rules, Chapter 21, Subchapter B, Section 21.26(b)(11)(F):
    A member of the U.S. Armed Forces whose state of record is not Texas may change
    his/her residency to Texas and the member, and/or his or her spouse or child may pay resident
    tuition if he/she:
    (i) has been assigned to duty in Texas at least 12 consecutive months, during which the
    member files proper documentation with the military to change his/her permanent residence to Texas, and
    (ii) meets four of the 8 conditions listed below for the 12 months prior to enrollment:
    (I) has purchased a residence in Texas and claim it as a homestead;
    (II) has registered to vote in Texas;
    (III) has registered an automobile in Texas; has maintained a Texas driver’s license;
    (IV) has maintained checking, savings or safety deposit box in Texas;
    (V) has had a will or other legal documents on file in Texas that indicates residence in Texas;
    (VI) has established membership in professional organizations or other state organizations; and/or
    has established a business in Texas.

I thought you were done with this thread?

At any rate, you faiked to source what you wrote, so we have no idea from where that comes, or in what context .

Good grief.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The link works in Chrome, but apparently not in IE. So here is the pdf. As to me being done, if you can't see my source then this never gets settled to either of our satisfaction. My apologies for the previous links, I have no idea why Chrome will open it but IE will not.

Rules&Regs.pdf

Alternately there is a screen capture of the google search.

Capture.gif

Top Bottom