• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    SAPD COP McManus has said he wants San Antonio to be a sanctuary city. Hope he takes this law serious enough to actually enforce it and not just give it lip service.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Texas Senate has approved a bill giving police officers more power to ask people they detain about their citizenship status.
    It's too bad that states have to pass their own laws seeing as how the U.S. Supreme Court has already decided on this matter......in 2005:

In Mueller v. Mena, 544 US 93 (2005), SCOTUS ruled unanimously that state and local law enforcement officers may indeed ask about the immigration status of detained person.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Since when do cities think they have ultimate final say anyway? If the Feds were not so limp-wristed, this would not even be an issue. We alreasdy have Federal laws regarding the handling of immigrants. Let's frikkin use em.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Critics say the bill will be used to harass Latinos.

Someone please tell me what's so harassing about a cop asking someone if they are involved in crime? Especially when you consider police are completely powerless to make you answer?

If that's harassing then we might as well forbid them from questioning suspects, conducting interviews, etc.

bootsdeal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    North Texas
    Hot damn, it's about time. Everyone should have the displeasure of living in Denton, Tx as I do. We're the mecca for illegal ******** in this part of north Texas. The city even built them a pavilion on a busy intersection so they can stand around begging for a job, looking for an opportunity to take advantage of America's lax attitute toward our enemies south of the border, and break whatever laws they can. How's that for political correctness. Oh, by the way - when reading Denton's crime reports in the newspaper, guess what ethnic class of people commit the most crimes? You guessed it - mescans - usually involves drunkeness, theft, family disturbance, and such other low-class people's crimes. Maybe, just maybe all states on the border will eventually come to the party and help to deport these leaches.

Mod edit: Racist name removed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hot damn, it's about time. Everyone should have the displeasure of living in Denton, Tx as I do. We're the mecca for illegal greasers in this part of north Texas. The city even built them a pavilion on a busy intersection so they can stand around begging for a job, looking for an opportunity to take advantage of America's lax attitute toward our enemies south of the border, and break whatever laws they can. How's that for political correctness. Oh, by the way - when reading Denton's crime reports in the newspaper, guess what ethnic class of people commit the most crimes? You guessed it - mescans - usually involves drunkeness, theft, family disturbance, and such other low-class people's crimes. Maybe, just maybe all states on the border will eventually come to the party and help to deport these leaches.

You hate all "greasers", or just illegal "mescans"?

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    You hate all "greasers", or just illegal "mescans"?

No Way, Jose ! And I do not use those demeaning terms to describe they whom have or had parents or ancestors from the other side of the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande) I am just an old guero gringo that loves Mexican food, the language, the music, what we learned about Cowboying from those folks over a couple of centuries and tho Sam Houston won the war with Mexico, Thank God, I am not fighting it ! They deserve a world free of the murderous drug cartels and the massacres....I do not approve of illegal Mexicans coming over here but odoodoo and his cronies are doing nothing about it. If an illegal Mexican came and asked for something to eat and I had it, he'd be fed but hiring, nope ....Oh, I have a son in law a so called Hispanic,who is a Marine Sergeant, who fought in Iraq,but he's closer to being a real son ! He "ain't" for sale or trade, a keeper !!!!

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, but can they DETAIN based on the status?

Not as per that Supreme Court decision. But it's my understanding, from the article, that is not the issue...

The Texas Senate has approved a bill giving police officers more power to ask people they detain about their citizenship status.
    That pretty much sounds like the 2005 decision. Once they're detained the police have the right to inquire as to their immigration status. If the police are making it a point of "detaining" those of Hispanic origin, well, that's a horse of another color.....

Although, in 1985, the Supreme Court also made a decision on stopping and searching AT THE BORDER...

In the Supreme Court decision, US v. Montoya de Hernandez, 473 U.S. 531, 538 (1985) the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that "travelers may be stopped [and searched] at ... the border without individual suspicion even if the stop [or search] is based largely on ethnicity." (citing US v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543, 562-563 (1976).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not as per that Supreme Court decision. But it's my understanding, from the article, that is not the issue...

That pretty much sounds like the 2005 decision. Once they're detained the police have the right to inquire as to their immigration status. If the police are making it a point of "detaining" those of Hispanic origin, well, that's a horse of another color.....
    I agree. However, I think each state would need its own law to codify the implementation of this.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's too bad that states have to pass their own laws seeing as how the U.S. Supreme Court has already decided on this matter......in 2005:
    The bill would prohibit local governments from using policy to prevent Police from asking about immigration status.

Also, arrested persons shall have their citizenship status checked, and proof of legal residence is required for original or renewal driver's licenses and ID cards. Looks like a great bill.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    I for one Have No problem with any individual comming here to My country trying to make a better life. I do see they need to go through the legal way and get the proper documents, and the wait there is alot of people waiting and doing it the right way, Now with that said If The current administration just hands these Illegal Aliens( yes that is what they are) a free ticket to citizenship then Whoever gets elected needs to repeal it and have them shipped out. But the ones Who do it the right way I have no problem with. just my opinion... But we have so many federal laws in place right now how bout enforcing what is already written, and as for the country of Mexico suing Arizona I say what is it business of mexico to tell us who we can ban from our State or Country. Now I heard today that Mexico is suing Alabama, And possibly Georgia as well Next would be Texas. then Flordia. New Mexico well thats a differnt State altoghter lol.

Top Bottom