Gun Zone Deals

Texas should Secede...but could it last?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    I know, we all joke about it, but I was wondering how possible it would be to actually pull off...

We have 1/3 of the oil reserves, and roughly the same production, of the US.
    We have the 2nd highest gross state product of $1.9 billion.
    We have NASA.
    We have most of the fortune 500 companies, along with the second largest economy of the US.
    We have the highest export revenues.
    We lead the US in production of cattle, and have several other crops...no food shortage for us.
    We have a good bulk of the US military power.

All in all, I think we could do alright. But would it be the best choice? All depends on the circumstances. Also would depend on how the rest of the union felt about us leaving.

Thoughts/opinions?
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All of that is great and all, but the economic repercussions of that action would simply not work. The remaining states would set economic siege to us, and we would quickly bleed out financially.

It's just not reality, nor very logical.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    All of that is great and all, but the economic repercussions of that action would simply not work. The remaining states would set economic siege to us, and we would quickly bleed out financially.

It's just not reality, nor very logical.

Maybe, but I think it'd be pretty hard for them to hold out on us, we're not Cuba. Not to mention all the supply lines from Mexico. I say "Who run Bartertown?" It'd be nice to have a greater degree of property ownership, and smaller government. Maybe I'm being short sighted, but I don't see the benefit of a U.S. federal government. But what do I know? I work for a living.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    It's a romantic notion that I suspect appeals to all of us, but it would never work. We live in an era of a strong federal government that would not accept it without opposition. I think Oklahoma, Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina might be persuaded to throw in if there was enough bourbon at the table, but Florida would never go for it, and it would be awkward to not invite Louisiana and New Mexico to the party.

In all seriousness, economically speaking Texas holds some good cards. As much for the existing refinery infrastructure as for the strategic reserves and undeveloped oil resources.

Tejas y Coahuila, otra vez?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Maybe, but I think it'd be pretty hard for them to hold out on us, we're not Cuba. Not to mention all the supply lines from Mexico. I say "Who run Bartertown?" It'd be nice to have a greater degree of property ownership, and smaller government. Maybe I'm being short sighted, but I don't see the benefit of a U.S. federal government. But what do I know? I work for a living.

I think you'll find that we would have to reinvent the wheel with everything.

It would be a HUGE undertaking on even a civil scale.

In the end it wouldn't matter. The public would feel sold to re-take Texas on the guise of energy security (basically price at the pump), and soon we'd be flooded with our former national army.

The technology of today prevents another independence action. We can't simply arise an army and go marching off to bushwhack Redcoats or attack a sleeping Mexican army.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I know, we all joke about it, but I was wondering how possible it would be to actually pull off...

How can we have the same production as the US if we are part of the US unless we are all the production in the US?

We have NASA.
    It is part of the fed. government and is only located, in part, here.

We have most of the fortune 500 companies, along with the second largest economy of the US.
    This only means their corp headquarters is based here. They are not owned by Texas.

We lead the US in production of cattle, and have several other crops...no food shortage for us.
    Two words, Dust Bowl.

It isn't ours and we don't even have the bulk of it in Texas.

All in all, I think we could do alright. But would it be the best choice? All depends on the circumstances. Also would depend on how the rest of the union felt about us leaving.

Thoughts/opinions?

Stupid idea based on a naive belief in misleading and wrong data.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler

How can we have the same production as the US if we are part of the US unless we are all the production in the US?

I meant we have 1/3 of the production, which was roughly the same as 1/3 the reserves.

It is part of the fed. government and is only located, in part, here.

This only means their corp headquarters is based here. They are not owned by Texas.

Well, thats kinda obvious. Be kinda hard otherwise.

Two words, Dust Bowl.

Three words. Better crop management. Technology is just a little bit better than it was then.

It isn't ours and we don't even have the bulk of it in Texas.

Never said THE bulk, just a good bulk of it. In which I meant that we have a lot of people from Texas join the armed services, and there are a good number of bases here.

Stupid idea based on a naive belief in misleading and wrong data.

See though, thats all it is, an idea. People are always saying we should, so I decided to figure out if it was possible and if others thought Texas could actually make it. That was the point of this thread, to see if people think Texas could stand on its own 2 feet again, barring a military invasion from the US or Mexico. I'm not saying it would be the best idea, but if given the choice of becoming one country with Canada and Mexico or Texas being its own country again, I would seriously consider the latter. Fortunately the first one will probably never happen.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you buy into the NAU conspiracy then you'd also see the futility in Texas seceding being that it would give control over the major highways into Mexico.

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    Id be content with seeing how the Federal government would work for 1 fiscal year w/o the IRS. :p

Seems like everyone, companies and individuals have to learn how to live lean sometimes... just not the Fed government.

Andrewh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    The same reason the South lost the civil war, would doom Texas.

There was no planning or forethought.

Not enough industrial machinery, manufacturing capablility, and other self sustaining required industries to sustain a country in time of war.

They ran out of steel, bronze, and chemicals necessary to make iron clads, guns, cannons and the gun powder necessary to use them.

Though the owned a powerder manufacturer, captured an armory, they still had to rely on captured goods to sustain the war effort.

Had they stayed on a few more years, planned ahead, instead of relying on cotton(oil) to get them the trade they needed perhapes they could have done better.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    well... we've got toyotas? Seriously, plan all you want, but don't be too afraid to take a step towards liberty... freedom isn't free, remember?

Here's Mr Badnarik's spiel on the Republic of Texas.

The constitution is meaner than all hell

http://www.tcrf.com/constitution/English/article2-English.html

If your not scared of being starved out, or whatever it is everyone else seems scared of, and want to know what you can do to promote giving the big ugly government the boot...

http://www.texasteaparty.org/

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Barnarik's talk sounds too reminiscent of a sales pitch, and his point's lack substance beyond a simple If / Then argument. A better speaker would be Ron Paul.

The entire issue is people rarely will make an effort to utilize the current system to alleviate pressure from the Government. So how is it they are going to go even beyond that and push into effect a new country?

Does that Constitution speak for everyone in Texas? Is it the popular vote? No one has ever asked me what I believe our Constitution should include.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    By the way. Texas is entitled to send an ambassador to the United Nations. Not the we would want to. But its in the UN Charter. I think

According to sworn testimony from a federal attourny, The IRS is not part of the Fed Govt but was chartered in Puerto Rico. No wonder nobody can figure out the forms. Ricky Ricardo is doing the translations into English.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    See though, thats all it is, an idea. People are always saying we should,

Yeah, and they don't actually understand what it is that they are saying. It is sort of like a 14 year old "knowing" how things should be in the world and "knowing" that his parents are morons.

well... we've got toyotas? Seriously, plan all you want, but don't be too afraid to take a step towards liberty... freedom isn't free, remember?

Freedom isn't free, but naivete and ignorance are.

Exactly what problems would be solved that would result in this supposed better Utopia?

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    What would be the reason's for secession? It wouldn't involve "states rights", that as settled by the civil war. The only thing I could see causing a state to secede would be a SHTF scenario. Imagine a super-volcano or big meteor, plague or some such where the central government breaks down. The army is called in to quell the problem and some nit-twit decides they need to take all the guns away from civilians for the duration of the "emergency." Next Mexico sees an opportunity to take back Texas and other lands lost and starts arming all the illegals as para-military groups on the excuse that they are being persecuted. Texas demands that Washington do something, but instead of using force they start "negotiations", mean while Texans are being rounded up by the mexican para-military units and we start finding mass graves of our fellow Texans.
    Heck this is beginning to should like it would make a good book.....

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Would make a good book or movie for the sci fi channel.They are running out of ideas(example-Aztec Rex).

AviatorDave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008

We have the 2nd highest gross state product of $1.9 billion.
    We have NASA.
    We have the highest export revenues.

Thoughts/opinions?

Don't forget that we have our own power grid. Remember the brownouts in NY a few years ago due to some problem in Canada? They said there are 3 main powergrids in the US - the eastern half, the western half, and Texas.

Top Bottom