Texas should Secede...but could it last?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by carneyman, Apr 27, 2008.

1. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    I know, we all joke about it, but I was wondering how possible it would be to actually pull off...

We have 1/3 of the oil reserves, and roughly the same production, of the US.
    We have the 2nd highest gross state product of $1.9 billion.
    We have NASA.
    We have most of the fortune 500 companies, along with the second largest economy of the US.
    We have the highest export revenues.
    We lead the US in production of cattle, and have several other crops...no food shortage for us.
    We have a good bulk of the US military power.

All in all, I think we could do alright. But would it be the best choice? All depends on the circumstances. Also would depend on how the rest of the union felt about us leaving.

Thoughts/opinions?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All of that is great and all, but the economic repercussions of that action would simply not work. The remaining states would set economic siege to us, and we would quickly bleed out financially.

It's just not reality, nor very logical.

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    Maybe, but I think it'd be pretty hard for them to hold out on us, we're not Cuba. Not to mention all the supply lines from Mexico. I say "Who run Bartertown?" It'd be nice to have a greater degree of property ownership, and smaller government. Maybe I'm being short sighted, but I don't see the benefit of a U.S. federal government. But what do I know? I work for a living.

4. Nate C

Nate C Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    It's a romantic notion that I suspect appeals to all of us, but it would never work. We live in an era of a strong federal government that would not accept it without opposition. I think Oklahoma, Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina might be persuaded to throw in if there was enough bourbon at the table, but Florida would never go for it, and it would be awkward to not invite Louisiana and New Mexico to the party.

In all seriousness, economically speaking Texas holds some good cards. As much for the existing refinery infrastructure as for the strategic reserves and undeveloped oil resources.

Tejas y Coahuila, otra vez?

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think you'll find that we would have to reinvent the wheel with everything.

It would be a HUGE undertaking on even a civil scale.

In the end it wouldn't matter. The public would feel sold to re-take Texas on the guise of energy security (basically price at the pump), and soon we'd be flooded with our former national army.

The technology of today prevents another independence action. We can't simply arise an army and go marching off to bushwhack Redcoats or attack a sleeping Mexican army.

6. stockFD3S

stockFD3S Active Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    We can try. :)

7. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I know, we all joke about it, but I was wondering how possible it would be to actually pull off...

How can we have the same production as the US if we are part of the US unless we are all the production in the US?

It is part of the fed. government and is only located, in part, here.

This only means their corp headquarters is based here. They are not owned by Texas.

Two words, Dust Bowl.

It isn't ours and we don't even have the bulk of it in Texas.

Stupid idea based on a naive belief in misleading and wrong data.

8. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    See though, thats all it is, an idea. People are always saying we should, so I decided to figure out if it was possible and if others thought Texas could actually make it. That was the point of this thread, to see if people think Texas could stand on its own 2 feet again, barring a military invasion from the US or Mexico. I'm not saying it would be the best idea, but if given the choice of becoming one country with Canada and Mexico or Texas being its own country again, I would seriously consider the latter. Fortunately the first one will probably never happen.

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you buy into the NAU conspiracy then you'd also see the futility in Texas seceding being that it would give control over the major highways into Mexico.

10. Enron Exec

Enron Exec Member

Id be content with seeing how the Federal government would work for 1 fiscal year w/o the IRS. :p

Seems like everyone, companies and individuals have to learn how to live lean sometimes... just not the Fed government.