• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • witdog2020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Indiana
    So I got associated to this site through family. My wife has family in Oklahoma and Texas. I am from Indiana. So every time I get the opportunity to come down to hunt I don’t refuse the offer. I notice everyone down there has a truck gun. Sometimes it’s a shotgun, sometimes it’s a high powered rifle. Is this something just in the redneck family or is this true with everyone?
    Here in Indiana we have way too many houses to just jump out the truck and shoot something and very few rattlesnakes lol. I have a gun I thought would be a great truck gun in Texas. It’s a stainless H&R Handi Rifle in .223. Seems like a good fit. Anyway, I enjoy the boards meet a lot of good people down there and have a lot of fun.
    CD592FBE-D958-44FB-AB09-49C8406687FE.jpeg
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep. There's long gun in the truck. Pa paw had one.
    Dad had one. I've got one.
    Sometimes a varmint needs killing. Sometimes a vehicle hits a deer (or other wildlife) and it needs to be put out of it's misery.
    It's a tool. Plain and simple.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When I was a kid, it was unusual to see a pickup without a gun rack. Usually it was a .22 or .30-30 or pump shotgun. Sometimes a fishing pole occupied the extra hooks. That included pickups parked at school. It was as normal as the sun coming up in the morning.

Now? Pretty rare, except maybe some very rural areas. These days people will steal anything and everything - even from someone they know is armed. Any firearm in my pickup is out of sight.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In the more rural parts of Texas, it was very common to see gun racks in trucks with a shotgun and a rifle of some sort in them. I can remember even in high school it was quite common to teachers and students trucks with gun racks loaded with a gun.

Very few people do that anymore. Doesn't take long to bust a window and lift one from the rack these days.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    When I was a kid, it was unusual to see a pickup without a gun rack. Usually it was a .22 or .30-30 or pump shotgun. Sometimes a fishing pole occupied the extra hooks. That included pickups parked at school. It was as normal as the sun coming up in the morning.

Now? Pretty rare, except maybe some very rural areas. These days people will steal anything and everything - even from someone they know is armed. Any firearm in my pickup is out of sight.
    In the more rural parts of Texas, it was very common to see gun racks in trucks with a shotgun and a rifle of some sort in them. I can remember even in high school it was quite common to teachers and students trucks with gun racks loaded with a gun.

Very few people do that anymore. Doesn't take long to bust a window and lift one from the rack these days.
    I'm with them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I had a model 37 and a fleece vest stolen from my truck in San Angelo in the late 70s.......haven’t left a gun in the truck since. Fortunately, they didn’t look in the glove box and get the Colt Woodsman.

witdog2020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Indiana
    And sad to say, even TGT has had it's rash of scammers here, but the Mods have been great at getting them headed out the door. One was allowed to go for a bit, even though the Mods and the members knew he was scammer and cheated a member of some money because they were coordinating with the authorities to get him caught, and arrested. Apparently IIRC, he was running a scam on several other gun forums as well.
    I have 4 1978 Broncos and a 1978 F150 4x4- I found a like new gun rack still in the window of the Bronco. I kept it and may still use in one of the Broncos. It wasn’t uncommon for us to have gun racks when I was in school either. It’s unfortunate how the media and population today continue to try and silence the gun owner.

CF8CC132-853E-42CA-B567-6C302230D103.jpeg

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    For people that don't own acreage, I think truck guns are no longer the norm. For those who regularly drive their truck on the farm a truck gun is a necessary tool for coyotes and other varmints. Like others have said, most every pickup in the parking lot of my high school back in the 70's had a gun rack in the back window. Most had a .22 rifle and some kind of shotgun in them. I don't recall a single one ever getting stolen. On the way home after school lots of squirrel hunts took place.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

^This. & I seriously doubt that the OP has seen anything different.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Dad had a light blue 65 Ford with a double rifle rack in the back window. I remember the 16 gauge & a battery operated cattle prod were kept there most of the time.

Seemed like every other pick up back then had a rifle rack in our neck of the woods. My how times have changed.

Top Bottom