• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    We are expanding chicken world at Casa de Hoji and need more coop/nesting boxes.

Who amongst y’all can build something like these
    1673794273369.jpeg

1673794294613.png

And what would you charge for it?
    I can pick up, or pay for delivery if not too outrageous.
    I am in the Buda area.

General floor dimensions in the 6’x10’ range.
    Gun Zone Deals

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    That wouldn't be hard at all. A few 2x4s, wire mesh, and fence pickets. I probably have enough stuff laying around to make it today, but it's old fence pickets.

The problem with one like that is that the dumb birds are going to lay eggs in the far corners under it and often not in spots that are easy to get to. It's also pretty easy for a critter to worry at and eventually tear open if it's on the ground. Most of the cost would be in hardware mesh to pretty much cover every surface under the wood (like on the ends and under the tilted roof parts.

If I were building another one, I'd do it like my current one - put it up on stilts (metal poles this time) high enough that a varmint would have trouble reaching it from the ground but the birds could flutter up into it. Like this, but with metal legs, without the ramp, smaller door, etc:
    1673794987887.png

I should go take a picture of mine one of these days.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Thanks, probably should have mentioned the sides would be hinged ( both sides) to facilitate getting to the nest boxes. It will be 100% enclosed in a welded wire dog kennel. View attachment 367684 when We expand chicken world. We also may go with one of these View attachment 367686
    In my opinion that's excessive but it will reduce the risk of losing birds to varmints (and gardens to birds) to almost zero.

For housing chickens in an enclosure like that, you don't even really need a big house. Just some roof to keep the rain and wind off and smaller spaces to encourage them to lay in. You'll get more use out of the available floor space if you have them up on legs so the birds can walk and scratch under them. Something flat on the ground like that will just take up lots of floor space and the chickens won't get any use out of the top surface.

At any rate, to build something like what you pictured out of new lumber, using cedar fence pickets for most of the cladding and no critter mesh fence, materials cost would be on the order of $120. It would cost me just about as much in fuel to get it to you, so you probably don't want me making it for you.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In my opinion that's excessive but it will reduce the risk of losing birds to varmints (and gardens to birds) to almost zero.

For housing chickens in an enclosure like that, you don't even really need a big house. Just some roof to keep the rain and wind off and smaller spaces to encourage them to lay in. You'll get more use out of the available floor space if you have them up on legs so the birds can walk and scratch under them. Something flat on the ground like that will just take up lots of floor space and the chickens won't get any use out of the top surface.

At any rate, to build something like what you pictured out of new lumber, using cedar fence pickets for most of the cladding and no critter mesh fence, materials cost would be on the order of $120. It would cost me just about as much in fuel to get it to you, so you probably don't want me making it for you.
    I am fine with excessive. Lots of aerial and ground based predators where I am so going to an extreme to keep them away from my omelet makers is not a huge deal. We plan on expanding from the current 30’x10’x6’ kennel enclosure to probably double that plus the big domed enclosure so we can have both layers and chickens to eat.

The current chicken world has 9 in it. Wanting a coop to accommodate 3-4x what we currently have

Top Bottom