Join TexasGunTalk

The ‘Real’ World

Discussion in 'Military Vets' started by toddnjoyce, Mar 7, 2019.

1. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Most of y’all know I stuck around long enough to retire in 2016, and went to the corporate world shortly thereafter. To a very mission-oriented financial services company.

I had the ‘opportunity’ to participate in a diversity discussion panel today. My role was to provide the military perspective to a group of employees with no direct touch to the military.

I was quite amazed at the amount of pushback on the concept of individual merit in all aspects of the discussion. It seemed merit only counted after the fact, which is counter to the military ethos. Really disheartening.

Towards the end, I had a few minutes for closing comments and spoke about the diversity in the room. Make/female, race, color, religion, education, age, it was all represented across the spectrum.

I asked a rhetorical question whether the group would prefer to blindly hire someone aligned to the mission or selectively choose among candidates who were from under-represented groups.

After a brief pause, I asked if they thought our core customer, the active duty military member and their immediate family, would rather be taken care of by someone who was there due to competence and merit or because that person was there due to what they brought to the diversity table.

When Mattis first became SECDEF, he gave an impromptu pep talk about how we, the military, needed to stay the course while America got their shit in one sock.

That was refreshing to hear. I’m just curious whether or not the ‘rest of America’ is making progress towards that, or if the divides seen in the media aware worsening.

What do y’all think? Take away the media and all that shit, what’re your day to day interactions telling you?

2. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Diversity is the newest affirmative action and just as Insidious.

There may have been a point for affirmative action at one time but no longer in diversity is even worse.

I don't know about you but I don't want my brain surgeon coming from the Acme company.

1911'S 4 Me and Darkpriest667 like this.
  3. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have hired only women, so that meets a diversity tab. Black, white, mexican. Pretty diverse. Dang, never really thought about it before. But I hired them all because of their skills. They just happened to be women.

Bozz10mm and toddnjoyce like this.
  4. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Affirmative action was just another reason I left Illinois @ age 23 for the great unknown of Texas. I guess I have a lot to thank for affirmative action.

Southpaw likes this.
  5. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That was the point I was trying to make. Thanks.

6. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    867C5FCB-5FBF-4D93-B50F-BB324A625D7C.jpeg Does THIS answer your question?!

7. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Professional life that doesn’t proceed on the basis of merit and demonstrated competence is simply unthinkable in my mind.

TheMailMan and toddnjoyce like this.
  8. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    No. Elected office is, at best, a popularity contest.

deemus likes this.
  9. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    how do you think she got here in the first place?
    A refugee program. How do you get to be a refugee?
    It aint’ white middle class people they are bringing in exactly.

You ask and I answered. You don’t have to like or accept my answer. But that is my answer.
    We are being watered down with diversity.
    We are being dissolved.

10. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Successful, and worthwhile completion of any mission/task/project relies heavily on one overriding necessity:

"Attention to detail".

"Diversity" plays no part in that whatsoever.

toddnjoyce and vmax like this.