• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Beer has been called liquid bread for ages with good reason. Mass produced beers for the common man have been around since beer had become a salable commodity. Bread & Circuses I believe started with the Romans.
    While circuses may have been created by the Romans, bread most certainly was not created by them. Bread was around a long, long, long time before Rome was ever even a twinkle in the eyes of Romulus & Remus! See this webpage about that.

One thing is certain - beer was not created by the Romans but while they much preferred wine, and took grape vines with them to conquered countries to cultivate grapes for wine production, they also were responsible for spreading beer around the world within their domain. The little ice age and the Romans led to beer becoming much more popular. The little ice age made northern Europe too cold for the Romans, or anyone, to reliably cultivate grape vines and thus made it difficult, if not impossible, to produce wine at that time especially in more northerly parts of the Roman empire. See this page.

What did grow very well, in much cooler temperatures and damper conditions, than in which grapes would grow well, were hops & other grains. The Romans and others, who had previously made wine the drink of choice, had to settle for what was produced with those hops & grains such as ales, beers and whisky. Thus the Romans also wound doing much to spread hops & ales/beer around what was their world at the time and that was a big chunk of the planet.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While circuses may have been created by the Romans, bread most certainly was not created by them. Bread was around a long, long, long time before Rome was ever even a twinkle in the eyes of Romulus & Remus! See this webpage about that.

One thing is certain - beer was not created by the Romans but while they much preferred wine, and took grape vines with them to conquered countries to cultivate grapes for wine production, they also were responsible for spreading beer around the world within their domain. The little ice age and the Romans led to beer becoming much more popular. The little ice age made northern Europe too cold for the Romans, or anyone, to reliably cultivate grape vines and thus made it difficult, if not impossible, to produce wine at that time especially in more northerly parts of the Roman empire. See this page.

What did grow very well, in much cooler temperatures and damper conditions, than in which grapes would grow well, were hops & other grains. The Romans and others, who had previously made wine the drink of choice, had to settle for what was produced with those hops & grains such as ales, beers and whisky. Thus the Romans also wound doing much to spread hops & ales/beer around what was their world at the time and that was a big chunk of the planet.
    I think something just went over the heads of every neckbeard waiting in line to buy ammo @ Moamart!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

And beer, too, predates anything Roman. There are recipes for beer written ~5500 years ago:
    " In fact, archaeological evidence for brewing beer in the Mesopotamian region dates back to circa 3500 BC (or possibly even before), with researchers being able to identify chemical traces of beer in a fragmented jar at the ancient Sumerian trading settlement of Godin Tepe, in modern-day Iran. " https://www.realmofhistory.com/2017/09/22/oldest-beer-recipe-mesopotamia-ninkasi/

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SMH

There is only one food that beer pairs well with. BBQ. Period.

Everything else only wine. Beer doesn't not change the flavor profile good food. A good wine will. Funny thing is.... wine and BBQ don't mix.

A quality cabernet will drastically change the flavor profile of salmon, steak, pasta, etc... Wine is a food enhancer, beer is a mood enhancer:)

Beer is only good for 3 things. BBQ, pounding or sipping, enjoying the natural flavor of the beer.

Rookies;)

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Sorry ahead, I din't read the whole thread.

I like weak beers so the food that it goes with really doesn't matter. And I'll drink a spicy/hot red beer made with most cheap beer.

That said, I like Dos Equis Amber with Mexican food.

Once in a blue moon, I'll have the palest ale they sell at the microbrew places. They usually call it "xyz Blonde" or the like. Might go good with Fish N Chips at the local Skippers, where they also sell Growlers (sometimes spelled "crowler". IDK)

Grilled a killer Chateaubriand last night. Forgot to buy red wine. Went and bought a larger tenderloin today, $5.99/lb, and a bottle of Columbia Valley Red Cuvee. It should go well.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry ahead, I din't read the whole thread.

I like weak beers so the food that it goes with really doesn't matter. And I'll drink a spicy/hot red beer with made with most cheap beer.

That said, I like Dos Equis Amber with Mexican food.
    OK, I'll admit I missed that. Beer and Mexican food are like peas and carrots. My mind doesn't think good wine when Mexican food is being served.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    OK, I'll admit I missed that. Beer and Mexican food are like peas and carrots. My mind doesn't think good wine when Mexican food is being served.

I've done homemade fresh Sangria with bbq carnitas before. Somewhere I have a recipe for marinating the meat, brisket, in orange/lime/etc and the Sangria with fresh orange and cheap Burgundy goes pretty well.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Sangria is a good way to end up with another kid....

Oh dear...

My former stepkids were a result of being horny for an older woman that had a house, was a fab cook, and would do anything to please me... right up until we got married. After that, my one natural kid was a result of being too dumb to leave... or it might have been tequila and swapping parties. IDK.

At almost 70, I'm happy I could still make a kid. But, the wife at 80 says no thx. :(

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Not many things better than a good top shelf homemade margarita. I can only do one though. No Mas after that.

We use to have Mexican restaurant in town that made some of the best top-shelf Margarita's and we would order a pitcher to go with our appetizers. By the time my meal came, I had a pretty good buzz going!

That pitcher would be about one and half for a group of four people. They were pretty stout, but oh so good!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    We use to have Mexican restaurant in town that made some of the best top-shelf Margarita's and we would order a pitcher to go with our appetizers. By the time my meal came, I had a pretty good buzz going!

That pitcher would be about one and half for a group of four people. They were pretty stout, but oh so good!

When I lived on the Oregon coast, we used to go down to a place on the Klamath River in N Calif. It was called "Steelhead Lodge". They didn't serve steelhead; it was named for the motel where people stayed to fish the river. But they did have a huge wood fired grill, about 6x4, and would cook up massive amounts of chicken and beef ribs over the wood logs on a grate. You ordered a whole or half chicken, same choice for a rack of ribs, or you could mix the two choices.

They had punchbowl margarita's. One would give a buzz. Two and you might fall asleep on your plate... better not drive!! Real lime, just like across the border below Yuma, not mix.

Top Bottom