ARJ Defense ad

The bible talks to us about our legislators!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Psalms 109:8

"Let his days be few; and let another take his place of leadership."

When I first saw this, I thought it was pretty funny. I've seen this on bumper stickers and apparently it is becoming very popular on "T" shirts. I'm no student of the bible and the out-of- context statement can be taken a number of ways. Does anyone know the entire context of this passage? What is it talking about?

FLASH

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Let me correct one thing, Clockwork. The Bible never says how old the world (or the universe) is. The 6000 year idea began with Archbishop Ussher of Ireland, back in the 18th Century or so. He counted up years in the geneologies and came up with the date of October 23, 4004 BC or some such nonsense. Every so called "Biblical" date for creation that you see quoted is really some guy's opinion, and is not in the Bible.

For the last year or so, I have been praying by quoting the Imprecatory Psalms. If they were good enough for King David, they are good enough for me.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The entire text is some guy's opinion, as it is a compilation of books all written by men. Don't put too much stock in it.

But It's all Christians have. There is no more appropriate book to follow the teachings of Christ by, so it has to do. I too have issues with the Bible, but as a Christian, I don't have much choice in instruction manuals.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    But It's all Christians have. There is no more appropriate book to follow the teachings of Christ by, so it has to do. I too have issues with the Bible, but as a Christian, I don't have much choice in instruction manuals.

I'm by no means anti-Bible. I just think that it should be taken with a grain of salt in it's interpretations... when in doubt, ask your ministor, pastor, priest, rabbi, imam, whatever one may have for guidance. As I said in another topic recently, it isn't religion that bothers me, its the people who warp its ideals and twist its teachings to suit their agendas that do. Well said, Cody.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Wow, Flash starting a thread about religion. I have a firm policy of NOT discussing religion or politics (except for 2nd amendment issues). How the Hell did this happen?
    ==============================================================================================
    Maybe I should rephrase my original post.

Psalms 109:8 has been taken out of context to mean: "Let his days be few; and let another take his place of leadership." At first, I jumped on that at face value, applied it to Obama yo Momma and said "you bet....that's for me!"

The words on the bumper sticker are taken out of context so I wondered if the Bible verse was discussing getting a guy out of office or actually harming him. My original post requested someone to tell me what the Psalms 109 was talking about in it's original context.

If that statement taken from Psalms 109:8, is about harming the guy, that verse will never go on MY bumper sticker or any "T" shirt I own. I've seen too damned much of that in my life and I won't be a party to it in any way. If it refers to getting his sorry ass out of office by legitimate and legal means...............I'm on board!

SO....there you go. What is Psalms 109 talking about? Anybody have a Bible handy?

Flash

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    But then you're just warping the Psalm to suit your agenda. You want it to talk about Obama, so it can be read that way. It could just as easily be read to mean any number of individuals including George W. Bush, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong Il, or even Pope Benedict. Don't twist religion to suit agenda, there will always be small-minded people who eat it up.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Well, Clockwork, that's my point. Pinheads take a few words out of context from the Bible and spin them to suit whatever cause they like. Then they say it is God's law because it came from the Bible. If I'm going to quote, post or wear it, I want to know exactly what it is referring to. I've attempted to understand the original meaning by placing it back in context before I wear it on my shirt.

If you have a Bible handy, let's get it looked up and get done with it.

Flash

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    If we want to get into a theological debate. . . . . .

Its a bumper sticker. . . .I mean really. My personal favorite is, "I bet Jesus would have used HIS turn signal. . ."

On a more serious note, if you ascribe to real protestant doctrine, the parts of Scripture have only one real meaning, but several applications. Any changing of the meaning is a distortion.

The Bible has a family line from Adam to Jesus, which is where the ~6000 years comes from.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate your efforts in helping me understand. I recall vividly now, why I vowed never to have anything to do with churches and I'm outta here.

Mods.....we're done here. Please feel free to lock her up or delete.

Flash

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Psalms 109:8

"Let his days be few; and let another take his place of leadership."

When I first saw this, I thought it was pretty funny. I've seen this on bumper stickers and apparently it is becoming very popular on "T" shirts. I'm no student of the bible and the out-of- context statement can be taken a number of ways. Does anyone know the entire context of this passage? What is it talking about?
    FLASH
    Since you seemed to be asking seriously in your FIRST post ... I'll answer your desire to learn this information, even though your last post is of a different tone.:

David's prophecy in Psalms 109:6-19 is prophecy referring to Judas Iscariot , who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, and he held the money bag for the apostles, like the office of "treasurer" today (and misappropriated funds), .... He was at one time an Apostle, and replaced by men choosing Matthias as his replacement, but Jesus chose Saul/Paul instead ... as He had chosen the other Apostles, which were not "voted in" as was Matthias.

Acts 1:26And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

So, another took his (Judas') office (as both Treasurer and as an Apostle).

8 Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

In context of a bumper sticker or political statement, I'd say it simply means anyone in office who betrays should be replaced, which we generally do at the next election.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was talking about the initial protestant break they had a meeting talking about individuals reading the Bible. Not a bishop. Or whatever. Chuch leaders got together and set guidelines. I just find it interesting. I didn't mean to imply I knew what the meaning was.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In context of a bumper sticker or political statement, I'd say it simply means anyone in office who betrays should be replaced, which we generally do at the next election.

THANKS FOR THE STRAIGHTFORWARD ANSWER. I simply wanted to know what the passage was talking about before I used it in any way. If it was referring to harming those in office, I would leave it alone. I'm simply not going to go there. Those who betray and have a place of leadership need to be replaced. I can live with that!

Thanks, again!

Flash

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, in context, no one else "did harm" to Judas.
    No one "killed him" etc.
    He betrayed, and another was appointed to fill his office.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yes, in context, no one else "did harm" to Judas.
    No one "killed him" etc.
    He betrayed, and another was appointed to fill his office.

and then had the good sense to hang himself.

;)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The Bible teaches ethics and morality. Some folks go overboard in their personal understanding of it. Others with neither ethics nor morality deny it's total message. Others twist and use the Bible to gain power over others. Living in a society seeking peace, happiness, personal good feeling requires rules. Rules come from Law, law comes from ethics. How we humans can get along in the world with each others and ourselves. Who was it said "No man is an Island ?

Top Bottom