Lynx Defense

The Dallas Zoo has a 30.06 sign, but it's city owned property....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    People can "sigh", and say "whatever" or just say that they don't care what the dallas zoo says, but until someone can say definitivley without a doubt that if a person gets caught with a concealed pistol at the dallas zoo, and there is nothing adverse that will happen to that individul, then not only is it irresponsible to advise people on this thread to go ahead and do it, but then why am I being treated like the red headed step-child

It is because pretty much everything you have statetd as being "fact" since you joined has been wrong. I tried to be delicate with you but I guess that does not work. I just choose to not argue with those who ignore facts and written law in favor of their own interpretation.

The zoo is owned by the City of Dallas. 30.06 does not apply.

the Zoo is not an amusement park, but even if it WERE, 30.06 does not apply.

In a criminal proceeding such as violation of 46.035, there is no ZOO to "side" with. The state prosecutes and has to make a case on the elements of the crime and beyond all reasonable doubt.

Good grief.
    Hurley's Gold

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    It is because pretty much everything you have statetd as being "fact" since you joined has been wrong. I tried to be delicate with you but I guess that does not work. I just choose to not argue with those who ignore facts and written law in favor of their own interpretation.

The zoo is owned by the City of Dallas. 30.06 does not apply.

the Zoo is not an amusement park, but even if it WERE, 30.06 does not apply.

In a criminal proceeding such as violation of 46.035, there is no ZOO to "side" with. The state prosecutes and has to make a case on the elements of the crime and beyond all reasonable doubt.

Good grief.

I did not say it was a fact that you could not carry at the zoo, in fact I agreed with u, I said u were right, that u probably legally could carry at the zoo. I also agreed with u that it is only considered an amusement park "by the zoo management in regards to the concealed carry law" not by any other organization, governmental or otherwise that I could find. So I agreed with u!!!! I agreed with everything U said in regards to the law, everything!!!

What I said about getting caught with a gun at the zoo, is in regards to the zoo knowingly putting that sign up, so they obviously do not want concealed carry at their place of business, legal or not, they don't appear to care, and since they have that attitude they would more than likely call the police if they noticed someone with a gun.

Now maybe when the police showed up you'd get a completely knowlageable, and understanding officer who would inform the zoo management that even though they have that sign up, it is invalid, and u are in no violation of the law, or you might end up with one that's not going to take any chances, and ask you to leave, or u might get one who thinks the zoo is in the right to post the sign, and doesn't like that you came into their place of business anyway, and then you have problems, maybe not big problems, but problems. Maybe your the kind that likes spending your time trying to debate the law to an officer (which always goes over well) or likes having to prove you had a right to carry there, either way more power to u. I wouldn't want to mess with it, I'll just stay away from a zoo that posts the sign cause it's not worth the hassle. And that is the whole point.

let's cover the basics, shall we....

1. you are right about the law, oh so right, very right, ....... feel better now?

2.it's not right to advise people to do something that could cause them trouble, even if it's just an inconvenience.

3.having an attitude of "I'll do what I want cause I know the law" is just asking for trouble.

4.you cannot say without a doubt, that if u had a gun on u in the zoo and someone saw it that nothing would happen, you cannot guarantee that, so don't tell people to do it.

5.and finally ..... please take the time to read my posts all the way through if your going to say I'm wrong, especially when in that post I said u were right about the law. And I only recommended using common sense, and being carefull about where u carry concealed unless u like having to debate the law with business owners, and the police. How can u teach a class about concealed carry when the whole class is about being carefull where u go, what u do, when u do it, and how u do it, and then advise people that they should put themselves in a situation that could cause problems? I don't understand that, the instructor that taught my class, was a Tx DPS officer, and trainer for 20 years, and has been teaching the class since it became legal in the 90's , and his advise was don't take a chance, cause if the cops show up, even if your legally in the right you still have a mess to deal with. Now maybe you have an easier time with these situations, cause u can just flash your private investigator badge, but the rest of us can't.

Good grief.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    And by the way to everyone else in here, I apologize that this thread has gone off course, it's just that this is the second thread that this guy has showed up after every one of my posts, and said "your wrong" and in the very first one I was in fact wrong, I had mixed up FFL background check law, with CHL background check law, that was my bad, and I posted again saying that i was sorry, I had gotten mixed up. But I'm getting the feeling he following my posts just to say "your wrong" either cause I made one mistake, or cause I'm new to the forum, either way it's annoying.

Again sorry guys.

jagged97

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Euless, TX
    it seems to me that the only real issue here, besides hurt feelings, is "if someone sees your gun." guess what? if someone sees your gun, you could have issues to deal with. someone seeing the gun, means you are not complying with the "C" portion of CHL.

it's been said many times and apparently can't be said enough... concealed means CONCEALED.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    let's cover the basics, shall we....

1. you are right about the law, oh so right, very right, ....... feel better now?

2.it's not right to advise people to do something that could cause them trouble, even if it's just an inconvenience.

3.having an attitude of "I'll do what I want cause I know the law" is just asking for trouble.

4.you cannot say without a doubt, that if u had a gun on u in the zoo and someone saw it that nothing would happen, you cannot guarantee that, so don't tell people to do it.

5.and finally How can u teach a class about concealed carry when the whole class is about being carefull where u go, what u do, when u do it, and how u do it, and then advise people that they should put themselves in a situation that could cause problems?

Good grief.

This ^^^^^
    I wonder if he actually instructs his students to ignore such signs when they believe them to be wrong? If so, I bet DPS would like to talk to him.
    I blocked TXinvestigator long ago. Join the growing club.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This ^^^^^
    I wonder if he actually instructs his students to ignore such signs when they believe them to be wrong? If so, I bet DPS would like to talk to him.
    I blocked TXinvestigator long ago. Join the growing club.

I tell students the law. I do not tell them how to behave. And if I have blocked for a long time, how do you read my posts?

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Wow talk about thread drift.

Seems to me that even though the zoo posts the 30.06 sign they are legally not valid. Sadly in the evnet you become a test case, for whatever reason be that poor choice on concealment gear or freak accident it could end up costing you legal fees to prove your innocence. The question that comes to mind is whether it is worth it or not. I k ow my answer is pretty straight forward. You post the 30.06 sign, legal or not, you state thy you do no support my rights and therefore you get no support from me or my family. If I have a second to spare I may write the management asking for clarification or awareness but generally you get dumped into my I won't piss on you if you were on fire can. Why bother supporting people who are obviously against our rights?? So you can see a bunch of half starved caged animals suffering in the TX heat? That sounds worth it.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Even if the Zoo weren't on government property, which it is, the sign they have posted is not valid. It's in English only and those letters are in no way big enough to comply with 30.06 requirements.

I carry there all the time. The sign is bogus, it does not apply. There's no way I carry in a place with lions tigers and bears and I'm not packing. I have family to protect.

Patriot Arms 1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Texas City, Texas
    In reading all the posts on this subject I have to agree that entering a location where a 30.06 sign is posted is treading on thin ice with the law. If by chance someone sees your gun there is sure to be trouble for you. Being former LEO sometimes you might draw a young inexperienced officer that is not as astute on the law as TXI and bingo, hooked up and transported to City Jail and booked. The officer calls the on duty Assistant DA and runs the info down on your arrest and the DA either accepts the charge of UCW or tells the officer to release you. Either way your day is screwed up and you were placed into the criminal justice system. You lost time with family and friends and the embarsement of being hauled off to jail. Just my 2 cents worth.

sledgehammer44mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Ellis county, Texas
    I just went to the zoo and looked for any signs about carrying a handgun.No signs anywhere.Nothing anywhere.Only signs I saw said no checks accepted.
    I paid to get in and went thur .People where taking huge coolers thur the gates.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In reading all the posts on this subject I have to agree that entering a location where a 30.06 sign is posted is treading on thin ice with the law. If by chance someone sees your gun there is sure to be trouble for you. Being former LEO sometimes you might draw a young inexperienced officer that is not as astute on the law as TXI and bingo, hooked up and transported to City Jail and booked. The officer calls the on duty Assistant DA and runs the info down on your arrest and the DA either accepts the charge of UCW or tells the officer to release you. Either way your day is screwed up and you were placed into the criminal justice system. You lost time with family and friends and the embarsement of being hauled off to jail. Just my 2 cents worth.

If a 30.06 sign is posted in a location that is not owned or leased by a government entity one should not even think of carrying. However, a sign posted at a location that is owned or leased by a government entity means as much as a ghost busters sign.

If you are worried about cops who don't know the law then you better not carry at all. A cop might not know that you can carry with a CHL.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    That drives me crazy. I specifically talked to the head of security for the Fort Worth Zoo. He said, "Yeah, we have a 30.06 sign posted, so no carrying here." That's a direct quote.....

I'll call him again tomorrow and see what the hell he was talking about.

I just went to the zoo and looked for any signs about carrying a handgun.No signs anywhere.Nothing anywhere.Only signs I saw said no checks accepted.
    I paid to get in and went thur .People where taking huge coolers thur the gates.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That drives me crazy. I specifically talked to the head of security for the Fort Worth Zoo. He said, "Yeah, we have a 30.06 sign posted, so no carrying here." That's a direct quote.....

I'll call him again tomorrow and see what the hell he was talking about.

I think Sledge was regerring to the Dallas Zoo.?

Besides, someone with authority has now told you that you cannot carry there. For you to do so now would be unlawful.

Top Bottom