• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The system punishes the innocent by having to pay for good representation. Jury trials cost thousands and the PD has lawyers on payroll so they can run this out indefinitely. Court costs as well pay the system either way.

Exactly. Just make the defendant spend himself into bankruptcy. Once he can no longer afford lawyers his fate is nearly certain.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's interesting insight...
    Don't they risk it being overturned on appeal or are they willing to gamble on an appeal not being filed in cases like this??

They don't care if it gets overturned on appeal. Nothing happens to a judge who makes decisions that get overturned.

The system punishes the innocent by having to pay for good representation. Jury trials cost thousands and the PD has lawyers on payroll so they can run this out indefinitely. Court costs as well pay the system either way.

Yep. And the only way you come out OK is in a civil rights suit, in which case it's the taxpayers who foot both sides' bills anyway. So it winds up being a bit of a Pyrrhic victory...

Unfortunately the only place I've EVER seen their literature passed out is Planet K- you know, the store with customers who are almost all guaranteed to never be on a jury?

Because they're too smart?

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The sad thing about the whole incident is that as "Shorts" said, the entire interaction could have gone totally different with just a little communications skill on the Officers part. Mr. Grishm dosen't win any prizes either, that's just sad.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Grisham was combative and had an agenda from the start, I've had a similar encounter with the local PD (who were responding to a call that someone was "shooting at a billboard" when a fellow forum member and I were doing a gun deal at a Valero gas station parking lot. I had pointed the rifle at a billboard to check out the scope) and by being respectful and cooperative with the responding officer, the entire matter was resolved in about a minute without my being disarmed. Had the officer wanted to inspect the rifle, I would have gladly allowed him to do so (I even offered that); but by our response the officer was satisfied that nothing illegal was going on. He was as polite to us as we were to him, which helped contribute to this being a "non-event."

Grisham has a history of being an asshat, and while I may agree with his cause I don't agree with his methods. Encounters such as this do nothing to further our image with the public and police officers. Much like the folks carrying in Starbucks, they knew it would cause problems but they wanted to "prove a point." Folks, there's a time and place for such things, and just because something is legal to do doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. A little common sense would have gone a long way in Grisham's situation, but he wanted to cause an incident and he was rightfully charged and convicted as his own video shows it. The officer may not have used the nicest approach, but he was still well within his rights to disarm Grisham and the latter's resistance--especially so he could video the incident--is what sealed his fate.

Be smart and survive, play stupid games and win stupid prizes!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Well, in Texas, if a person brings a frivolous lawuits and loses, they have to pay. Would be great if there was some sort of thing for an LEA. Of course, that would be taxpayer money. Perhaps the offending parties should pay from their own pocket, have their paycheck garnished.

The officer may not have used the nicest approach, but he was still well within his rights to disarm Grisham

Madmax, agreed. Is there any kind of protocol for communicating to a a person they are contacting or is walk up and contact within the scope?

The LEO clearly lied about giving a warning to disarm. Either did so to win the verbal argument on the side of the road. Or he did it to cover his butt for more official reasons.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Madmax, agreed. Is there any kind of protocol for communicating to a a person they are contacting or is walk up and contact within the scope?

What I have seen taught is a "ask-tell-make" approach but that is situationally-dependent; and an officer certainly doesn't have to ask for permission to do his/her job within his/her rightful authority.

The LEO clearly lied about giving a warning to disarm. Either did so to win the verbal argument on the side of the road. Or he did it to cover his butt for more official reasons.

Could be any number of reasons, you'd be amazed at how differently people remember events after the fact. He could have very well believed he said it when he didn't, but the bottom line is that he isn't required to give any warning in the first place.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the same rule applies to both parties: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I can't say if someone reached and grabbed my rifle with no warning I wouldn't instinctively put a hand on it myself. At the same time, IIRC the cop had a hand on the rifle for several seconds before the guy reacted to it, seems calculated. Been a while since I watched the vid so look for yourself and judge.

I don't fault the guy in any way for taking his rifle on the walk, but his attitude was just as crappy as the cops. I believe the officer should be dealt with in some way for the way he handled the situation as well, maybe he was. I believe his attitude was the catalyst in the situation, DumDum let the cop win by reacting to it in the manner he did.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    I think the same rule applies to both parties: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I can't say if someone reached and grabbed my rifle with no warning I wouldn't instinctively put a hand on it myself. At the same time, IIRC the cop had a hand on the rifle for several seconds before the guy reacted to it, seems calculated. Been a while since I watched the vid so look for yourself and judge.

I don't fault the guy in any way for taking his rifle on the walk, but his attitude was just as crappy as the cops. I believe the officer should be dealt with in some way for the way he handled the situation as well, maybe he was. I believe his attitude was the catalyst in the situation, DumDum let the cop win by reacting to it in the manner he did.
    I'm betting the cop had his decision on making an arrest before he even stopped the guy.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    After seeing how Sgt. Grisham conducts himself in person, I don't feel sorry for him. He got good publicity, a slap on the wrist, the whole Alamo event initiated, and now can claim martyr. I have a problem with the larger scope and influence of police in our society. Too many of them, and imho, not enough reasons for their presence other than to hassle and tax ordinary, hard working Americans.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

The officer originally reached for the mag. Examined the rifle, then later on he reached for the stock, that's when the Sarg backed up then had a pistol pointed at him.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, wait... is the consensus that the cop let his temper run away, that he let someone corner him into a course of action that he shouldn't have taken?

Sorry, but if that's the case, the cop needs to find a different profession.

Watch the video again. Look at the obviously bad attitude the officer comes into this with. Patronizing, sarcastic, rude... and this is the guy who's supposed to be the professional in these situations.

Yep. Going to stick with that cop needs to find a different profession.

The officer originally reached for the mag. Examined the rifle, then later on he reached for the stock, that's when the Sarg backed up then had a pistol pointed at him.

Cop was reaching for the clip holding the rifle to the backpack sternum strap.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The case should be appealed. Otherwise it may have consequences for his Second Amendment rights and his ability to have a CHL. The way Liberals are leaning now, they may even trump up a case for his being mentally unbalanced.

When in doubt, fight it out!

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The case should be appealed. Otherwise it may have consequences for his Second Amendment rights and his ability to have a CHL. The way Liberals are leaning now, they may even trump up a case for his being mentally unbalanced.

He already claims to have PTSD, so he's pushing the limits himself with such played-up antics...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So, wait... is the consensus that the cop let his temper run away, that he let someone corner him into a course of action that he shouldn't have taken?

Sorry, but if that's the case, the cop needs to find a different profession.

Watch the video again. Look at the obviously bad attitude the officer comes into this with. Patronizing, sarcastic, rude... and this is the guy who's supposed to be the professional in these situations.

Yep. Going to stick with that cop needs to find a different profession.

It's funny how you can find fault with every action of the police officer, but defend Grisham completely.

Grisham is responsible for how this incident played out, pure and simple. He could have easily been cooperative and compliant with the officer and none of this would have transpired. No, he had to be hostile and combative from the onset, hence why he ended up in cuffs and was convicted on charges of interfering with a public official; which is the appropriate charge for his actions.

I have no sympathy for him, despite his intentions. There are smarter ways to prove a point, but deliberately getting into fights with the cops isn't going to do him or his "cause" any good. But I honestly don't think that's his goal, he's more intent to make a name for himself and doesn't care how he does it!

I wonder what his commanding officer and first sergeant think of his civil disturbances?!?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I don't fault the guy in any way for taking his rifle on the walk, but his attitude was just as crappy as the cops.

And what kind of attitude should a tax-paying American have when he is being illegally detained without RAS by a gang of JBTs who refuse to respect the law they've sworn to uphold?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And what kind of attitude should a tax-paying American have when he is being illegally detained without RAS by a gang of JBTs who refuse to respect the law they've sworn to uphold?

How was he illegally detained?

Top Bottom