• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I'll start by saying I'm NOT a 7mil fan, but couldn't resist helping a friend. In secret I bought a 7-08rem AR 22" barrel, then there couldn't be just 1 in that caliber so I bought a 7saum AR barrel. however I'm a 26cal fan with 5 (including my latest cartridge) have a 6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem, and 264wm (my dad's pre64 '61 model) then toped it off with a 6.5prc AR (all but the 264wm is in AR platforms). With my decisions based on what was available is the reasons for the 7saum and 6.5prc instead of 6.5wsm, 6.5gap4s and 7wsm. I wasn't going to waste time on waiting for components to become in stock, so that's what I ended up with. Both are untested and still need to be adjusted and finalized before firing. It took 6 months for the go/no-go's to arrive, but were ordered at the same time the barrels were. After finding out about LaRue 308mags having a longer internal dimension for up to 2.870"ish length and then learning about KAC mags (Knights) having even more room would help even more. Haven't found any KAC mags in stock as they are $20 per higher than LaRue's @ $92.2

(2 in pic)
    L) 6.5prc 22" 8T +2 gas modified hbar
    R) 7-08rem 22" 9T lightweight
    Right Pic) 7saum 28" 8T +2 gas socom heavy spiral fluted

The prc was built for up to 135gr bullets with the exception of 144gr Lapua @ 2.830". The 7-08 will be for 150's and lighter. 7saum will max out with 180's, but might try 190a-tips with the LaRue mags? The biggest hurtle will be getting time for load development.
    Capitol Armory ad

Attachments

• 20230801_074615.jpg
      20230801_074615.jpg
      291.9 KB · Views: 26
    • 20231205_130710.jpg
      20231205_130710.jpg
      315.9 KB · Views: 25

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sounds like you have a long road ahead but a fun journey at the same time. I got into the 7mm WSM about a decade ago. Bought a model 70 mountain rifle that punishes you with every squeeze of the trigger. Back then my buddy also reloaded and was getting out of the caliber so I also got brass, loaded rounds and dies for it. When things were getting crazy at the start of COVID I was finding plenty of ammo for it.

Now I'm sitting on cases of Federal TBT ammo. I looked on GunBroker the other day and found used brass going for over 2$ ea and single boxes actually selling for over $150/20. Since it's a safe queen I listed it on the other TGT and already sold a case. Probably the best investment I've ever made in an oddball caliber!
    Talking with the buyer we were both puzzled by it's lack of success. He had a little insight and said the gentleman who designed the rounds approached Winchester about royalties and they denied him.

So although Winchester and others can make ammo, his court case obligated manufacturers to pay out when they chambered rifles in the WSM calibers. Explains why they faded from popularity in spite of their performance. I remain a big 7mm fan and although I sold my 7mm-08 years ago my 280 Remington is my most tried and true hunting rifle. I almost bought a 260 Remington but opted for a 6.5 creedmoor because of its availability.

Of course now the wildcat 6.5s and newer 6mms are gaining traction. Hopefully the market catches up for you and you can get your hands on some good factory options.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sounds like you have a long road ahead but a fun journey at the same time. I got into the 7mm WSM about a decade ago. Bought a model 70 mountain rifle that punishes you with every squeeze of the trigger. Back then my buddy also reloaded and was getting out of the caliber so I also got brass, loaded rounds and dies for it. When things were getting crazy at the start of COVID I was finding plenty of ammo for it.

Now I'm sitting on cases of Federal TBT ammo. I looked on GunBroker the other day and found used brass going for over 2$ ea and single boxes actually selling for over $150/20. Since it's a safe queen I listed it on the other TGT and already sold a case. Probably the best investment I've ever made in an oddball caliber!
    Talking with the buyer we were both puzzled by it's lack of success. He had a little insight and said the gentleman who designed the rounds approached Winchester about royalties and they denied him.

So although Winchester and others can make ammo, his court case obligated manufacturers to pay out when they chambered rifles in the WSM calibers. Explains why they faded from popularity in spite of their performance. I remain a big 7mm fan and although I sold my 7mm-08 years ago my 280 Remington is my most tried and true hunting rifle. I almost bought a 260 Remington but opted for a 6.5 creedmoor because of its availability.

Of course now the wildcat 6.5s and newer 6mms are gaining traction. Hopefully the market catches up for you and you can get your hands on some good factory options.
    30-06and 308 are hard to beat!

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas

So although Winchester and others can make ammo, his court case obligated manufacturers to pay out when they chambered rifles in the WSM calibers. .

That was Mr. Rick Jamison, one of the better handloading writers to be found in the gun rags in the 80s and 90s. The man was very good at his craft and used a pretty scientific approach to the whole thing. He became persona non grata pretty much throughout the gun writing industry for challenging Winchester and beating them.

I have read mountains of gun rags over the years, so much that they began to bore me mightily with all the repetition and rehashing of the same old crap. I even quit reading Rifle and Handloader about 15 years ago, it got so bad...but I believe that Mr. Jamison somehow managed to reappear in one publication or another some time back, fairly recently---but I could not tell you which one. I would imagine he's about ready to put the typewriter in storage. Between him and Barsness (a couple of the very best!) hanging it up, there's a lot of room for new blood in writing about rifles and handloading.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX

Since the sale of Vista Outdoor Products, the door is open for better or worse on supply. Lots of companies changing hands, prices going up. There were some liquidation remnants at good prices last month. No one knows the future on reloading, short term.

I got 3 odd balls in a batch of once fired 308 brass that I bought, I would love to give it to someone who shoots either of them. They are difficult to find but a piece or 2 has no value to me. (2) Federal 300 Savage (1) Hornady 308 Marlin Express

Top Bottom