• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Feel free to discuss. I'd really be glad to hear any input from Clockwork, or anyone else that already follows this "diet" (hate that word, sounds so temporary). If anyone does have experience with this, I'd be glad to hear any recommendations you might have for us, and/or recipe recommendations you might have.

I started doing the paleo diet Thursday April 28th. Since then I have lost ~9-10lbs, and it has stayed off so far. Typically, before this diet, my weight would fluctuate anywhere from 2-4lbs a DAY, probably due to poor bowel function. ;) Now it's only ~1lb a day. I feel much better. I have more energy, I physically feel "thinner", which is probably just the fact that I no longer feel bloated.

So far, I'm probably kind of sucking at the actual food I'm preparing. Right now it's pretty rudimentary. I don't know, I just don't want to put a whole lot of time and effort into making some elaborate recipe. I'm mainly doing breakfast of eggs and bacon with some vegetables. For one of the other daily meals I'll sometimes do a salad with high quality tuna. Another choice is stir-fry vegetables with either beef, chicken, or seafood. I try to spread this out over ~4 meals, with (3) 1tbsp fulls of coconut oil between meals. That's about all I've done so far. Here's the food list:

-Green beans, asparagus, broccoli, red/yellow peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, squash, zucchini
    -Apples, oranges, the occasional banana
    -Beef/steak, pork/bacon, lamb, chicken, shrimp, halibut, salmon, a few other types of seafood, eggs
    -Coconut oil - ~3tbsp a day, good source of fat, I use 100% cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil so it's pretty much as pure as it gets.
    -Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, cashews
    -Tamari - It's a 100% gluten free soy sauce, good to add a little flavor to stir fry vegetables and meat
    -100% pure sea salt - been using some these first few days, think I'm going to either limit it or stop using it since I'm focused on weight loss

For all the meat, right now I'm only buying all naturally raised with no hormones or antibiotics.

For all the fruit and veggies I try to only buy 100% organic, no GMO or other altered stuff.

For the fruit, I'm limiting myself to 1 piece of fruit per day if that, as my focus is losing weight.

For the vegetables, I am generally avoiding ALL starchy vegetables such as potatoes.

For the nuts, since my goal is losing weight, I'm following the guidelines of limiting the amount I have to 1-2oz a day. I measure that as a very small handful, I'm guessing 10-15 or so. ;)

The main point of this paleo nutritional plan is avoiding ALL grain-based foods, no bread, no crackers, no oatmeal, no rice of any kind. Also, it's avoiding ALL gluten. Gluten can be found in just about everything nowadays, so you have to be careful and really look hard to ensure it's 100% gluten free. I'm not going to go into the science behind the supposed benefits of this diet, I'm just explaining to the best of my knowledge the basics of it.
    Guns International

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    sounds very interesting for sure.

i am going to be doing an overhaul on my food intake very soon.
    need to get out of the Chubby Mall Ninja club.

subscribed.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    What sort of input would you be looking for from me?

Typical breakfast that I make is scrambled eggs with baby spinach, chopped up asparagus, and cayenne pepper in it then I top it off with some Texas Pete hot sauce. Doing about 30/30/40 Protein/Carb/Fat intake. All the carbs that I eat are natural carbs from fruits and vegetables rather than complex carbs from breads and pastas.

I hate the term "Paleo Diet" as well which is why I call it a Paleo Lifestyle instead of a diet. Because you're right, a diet by modern definition is only temporary. I began paleo living back in September and I feel like a million bucks ever since.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    CW, I was mainly curious about some of the general recipes you use and all. Right now, eggs/bacon or other meat/vegetables for breakfast, and salad/stir fry meat +vegetables is about all I've been doing because it's easy. ;) I'm reading The Paleo Diet book right now, by Robb Wolf, and I've read some of the recipes but, I don't know that I want to put that much time and effort into making a meal. Some of that stuff sounds like it would take 30min to 1hr, and what I'm doing now only takes ~10min. Inconvenience is what got me hooked on fast food, because drive through is so easy. ;)

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    CW, I was mainly curious about some of the general recipes you use and all. Right now, eggs/bacon or other meat/vegetables for breakfast, and salad/stir fry meat +vegetables is about all I've been doing because it's easy. ;) I'm reading The Paleo Diet book right now, by Robb Wolf, and I've read some of the recipes but, I don't know that I want to put that much time and effort into making a meal. Some of that stuff sounds like it would take 30min to 1hr, and what I'm doing now only takes ~10min. Inconvenience is what got me hooked on fast food, because drive through is so easy. ;)

Exactly. Inconvenience and "the fast life" is what leads to fast food addiction. Most of the things that I eat I don't cook at all.

If you like The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf you should check out The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple blog.

I find it easy to stick to a Paleo lifestyle when there are options like those pre-cooked rotisserie chickens at HEB, big packs of deli meat by Oscar Meyer, veggies, cottage cheese, fruits, nuts, almond butter, things like that. The only time I really "cook" food is if I'm doing something with eggs or if I fire up the Foreman Grill to make a salmon steak or chicken breast or something like that. It's all very simple foods to make. One has to figure that our paleolithic ancestors just had cooking fires, they didn't have fancy microwaves, ovens, things like that. There is no reason at all to go overboard with food preparation if you are focusing on a paleo lifestyle.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm finding out success with this stuff is all about setting yourself up for success, meaning preparing ahead of time. Take that extra few minutes when making a meal to cook one or two extra meals, or at least prepare a few snacks so when you don't have time to make something, you won't be tempted to turn to unhealthy "easy" stuff. The thing I'm still working on is getting enough sleep. Speaking of which I need to get the hell off here and go to sleep! ;)

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sleep is a big thing, too. I lost 35 pounds over a two month period just eating Paleo and getting plenty of rest. That's without working out.

To be honest, I think making fancy paleo meals is something that is more geared toward families trying to have family paleo living than for a single male. Kids are gonna appreciate the lifestyle more if it isn't boring. Mark Sisson has a pretty great cookbook out along with The Primal Blueprint.

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint Cookbook: Primal, Low Carb, Paleo, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free (9780982207727): Mark Sisson, Jennifer Meier: Books

Amazon.com: Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-approved meals you can make in under 30 minutes (9780982207741): Mark Sisson, Jennifer Meier: Books

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Paleo diet ? I'm too far gone with years and a beer gut ! But yesterday at the Chinese Restaurant in Stephenville across from HEB , the wife and I pigged out on that wonderful chow...Oh, they had frog legs and boiled crawdads also....which we generously took advantage of.....the works. I'll lose weight after the trip to a funeral home I reckon....

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Paleo diet ? I'm too far gone with years and a beer gut ! But yesterday at the Chinese Restaurant in Stephenville across from HEB , the wife and I pigged out on that wonderful chow...Oh, they had frog legs and boiled crawdads also....which we generously took advantage of.....the works. I'll lose weight after the trip to a funeral home I reckon....

It's not for everybody, but ever since I've been doing it I've been healthier and have more energy. :) The FDA and AHA are lying to Americans about their health. It's like cancer... no one is ever going to cure cancer, the money is in the medicine. Not in the cure. People make a lot of money by keeping Americans unhealthy.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I really dont diet, but what I like to eat is pretty much a diet of dark green vegitables and meat. When I cook for myself the food is so much better. I feel better and im not as gassy!

Something I find impossible is eating out and maintaining a healthy diet. " For the past year all I do is eat out and it show's".
    I recently decide to make some changes. "NO MORE DENNY'S" of ASIAN FOOD"...
    Asian resturants have food full of preservatives. Denny's food is all precooked and contains so many preservatives you can tast it.

That Paleo diet doesnt sound very complicated. Sound more like avoiding fat food to me. Something anyone should do if they want to feel better.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    It's not for everybody, but ever since I've been doing it I've been healthier and have more energy. :) The FDA and AHA are lying to Americans about their health. It's like cancer... no one is ever going to cure cancer, the money is in the medicine. Not in the cure. People make a lot of money by keeping Americans unhealthy.

I agree! Thats one reason why I like wild game.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    The FDA and AHA are lying to Americans about their health. It's like cancer... no one is ever going to cure cancer, the money is in the medicine. Not in the cure. People make a lot of money by keeping Americans unhealthy.

You can say that again! I'm guessing the Paleo lifestyle is basically raw veggies/fruits/nuts/grains and lean meats? I know my wife and I are really into eating as close to the "vine" as possible and have made it a lifestyle. This basically means cutting out excess fat, additives, sugars, carbonation, caffeine, and all the other crap that goes into our food nowadays.

I've found that if my food intake consists of 60% veggies/fruit, 30% whole grains/legumes/proteins, and the the rest in the other categories I feel better, have more energy, and am as regular as an open valve on a fire hydrant!

That goes without saying that I'm still a sucker for pizza, hamburgers, and cookies!

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Paleo as I understand it is if you couldn't find and eat it as a hunter/gatherer, it is not good for you. So meat/veggies are in, pastas, breads, processed food, etc. is out.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    From the title, I thought you'd only be allowed to eat foraminifera sprinkled on your corn flakes. LOL At least you'd get your calcium and they would add some crunch.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I really dont diet, but what I like to eat is pretty much a diet of dark green vegitables and meat. When I cook for myself the food is so much better. I feel better and im not as gassy!

Something I find impossible is eating out and maintaining a healthy diet. " For the past year all I do is eat out and it show's".
    I recently decide to make some changes. "NO MORE DENNY'S" of ASIAN FOOD"...
    Asian resturants have food full of preservatives. Denny's food is all precooked and contains so many preservatives you can tast it.

That Paleo diet doesnt sound very complicated. Sound more like avoiding fat food to me. Something anyone should do if they want to feel better.

Really, it's the "Caveman Diet" you could call it. ;) Honestly, there's nothing crazy about it at all. Meat, poultry, seafood, fruit, vegetables, GOOD sources of fat (coconut oil, olive oil, nuts) and that's about it. Pretty basic. The real trick is avoiding gluten, breads, crackers, or ANY other grain-based complex carbs. Yes, this means avoiding wheat bread, multi grain or "whole grain" breads, ALL breads. Also, avoid starchy carbs, such as rice and potatoes. Avoid a handful of small things like that we never really think about in our regular eating, and it makes a big difference in the long run. The funny thing is the one thing I've had the hardest time not eating is the starchy carbs. In the past, especially when I was trying to eat more healthy, rice and potatoes with a meal is something I've eaten a lot of. The eye opener is when you read about the chemical processes in the body and realize that those starchy carbs are being converted into LOTS of sugar. Lots of sugar in the diet is always a bad thing when you're still trying to lose weight. Sure, once you're in shape, not a big deal to still have them in moderation.

As far as eating out, you still can, just as long as you're smart about it and pay attention to detail. Last night, out with friends, I looked the menu over to find something that avoided as much of the "bad" stuff as possible. I ended up getting a plate of blackened tilapia, veggies, and a salad. I had unsweetened tea for the drink. All I left on the plate was the croutons and corn, and everything else was fine to eat. Not a big deal. Now of course, going to certain places (almost all fast food places) there is no way you can win, so try to avoid going there if possible.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Really, it's the "Caveman Diet" you could call it. ;) Honestly, there's nothing crazy about it at all. Meat, poultry, seafood, fruit, vegetables, GOOD sources of fat (coconut oil, olive oil, nuts) and that's about it. Pretty basic. The real trick is avoiding gluten, breads, crackers, or ANY other grain-based complex carbs. Yes, this means avoiding wheat bread, multi grain or "whole grain" breads, ALL breads. Also, avoid starchy carbs, such as rice and potatoes. Avoid a handful of small things like that we never really think about in our regular eating, and it makes a big difference in the long run. The funny thing is the one thing I've had the hardest time not eating is the starchy carbs. In the past, especially when I was trying to eat more healthy, rice and potatoes with a meal is something I've eaten a lot of. The eye opener is when you read about the chemical processes in the body and realize that those starchy carbs are being converted into LOTS of sugar. Lots of sugar in the diet is always a bad thing when you're still trying to lose weight. Sure, once you're in shape, not a big deal to still have them in moderation.

As far as eating out, you still can, just as long as you're smart about it and pay attention to detail. Last night, out with friends, I looked the menu over to find something that avoided as much of the "bad" stuff as possible. I ended up getting a plate of blackened tilapia, veggies, and a salad. I had unsweetened tea for the drink. All I left on the plate was the croutons and corn, and everything else was fine to eat. Not a big deal. Now of course, going to certain places (almost all fast food places) there is no way you can win, so try to avoid going there if possible.

That leaves out my great shepards pie and my wifes home made wheat bread and butter. Gotta have my potatoes and bread and real butter.

Butter is actually good for you. Unsalted is the best but I buy the salted. Margarine will kill you. It's one molecule away from being plastic.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    where do the two packs of powdered mini donuts i jsut ate fit intot his diet?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

Not trying to start a war, but how is the American Heart Ass. lying to Americans.

And there is nothing wrong with Gluten, unless you have real gluten allergy (most people who say they do, don't). Losing weight is much more simple than people think, they just don't realize the calories they are taking in in what foods.

If you've found something you like, stick with it. I'd never argue with success.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Paleo as I understand it is if you couldn't find and eat it as a hunter/gatherer, it is not good for you. So meat/veggies are in, pastas, breads, processed food, etc. is out.

In a nutshell. I've heard someone coin the phrase, "Lean, green, & marine" in reference to paleo eating. Lean meats (and nuts), green vegetables (and fruits), and marine wildlife (seafood).

Texas42 said:
    Not trying to start a war, but how is the American Heart Ass. lying to Americans.

And there is nothing wrong with Gluten, unless you have real gluten allergy (most people who say they do, don't). Losing weight is much more simple than people think, they just don't realize the calories they are taking in in what foods.

If you've found something you like, stick with it. I'd never argue with success.

Glad you asked! The difference between "conventional wisdom" of what the AHA and FDA tell you versus how human physiology actually works is pretty wild. They tell you that cholesterol and fats are bad for you but fail to mention that cholesterol is a basic building block of every cell in the human body. Your body NEEDS it. Not all fats are bad for you, just the kinds of fats that come from things that sprang up in the World War I and World War II timeframe to cut production costs for the war effort. Processed foods, things like High Fructose Corn Sugar. HFCS is absolutely poison for your body but you find it in almost everything out there because it's cheaper than using real sugar; there is another topic in the Fitness forum about HFCS. Natural fats like those found in avocados, nuts, and eggs are extremely good for you which is why this diet is such a high-fat diet.

As far as the discussion of grains and glutens go, I am not Celiac and I don't need to eat a gluten-free or casein-free diet. I've just found through self experimentation that if I eat gluten-free and casein-free for a week or two I feel a whole hell of a lot better than if I don't. Human beings existed for somewhere in the neighborhood of 95,000 years before we formed settlements, developed aggriculture, and began producing carbohydrate-dense foods like bread using things we cultivated through that aggriculture. We didn't evolve to eat that, we inflicted it upon ourselves out of convenience and our desire to become more sedintary. It's a lot safer to bake a loaf of bread than it is to go into the wilds and risk running into a predator to bring back a meal.

Top Bottom