• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    OK - we've had a lot of discussion about EV's etc. What is your perfect fleet of vehicles. Keep it reasonable and practical(ish). Since I did my mid-life thing already, here's my go at it:
    1. Fun Car - I bought an MX-5 - perfect for small day trips, fun, grocery store runs and for me, commuting to work.
    2. A full EV - maybe a Tesla 3 for the wife. She never goes more than 100 miles in a day, but does lots of short commutes.
    3. An Internal Combustion Pickup. Long trips (which we do a lot of) - no worries about charging stations, can haul stuff when we need...
    Capitol Armory ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Daily reliability and practicality:
    Me: Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing 6-speed
    Wife: Probably would keep her Buick Enclave, but maybe add a real AWD setup and bump the power up to ~600hp.
    Fun: 34 Ford with a twin turbo LS

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Wife had a Mazda 6 that was nice for around town. Too loud for long trips, but great mileage. .

Have a Xterra that we did some daily driving with, but mostly trips to the coast and hunting lease. 4WD.

Tahoe for road trips. Most comfortable road vehicle I’ve been in for long trips. All your stuff is contained, so less worry about theft and also stayed dry. And it’s not a pickup so nobody asked me to borrow it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Hmm

I'm not a huge car-guy so a "fun car" isn't necessary for me. If I kept driving under 150 miles / day, or knew I'd have ready access to electric chargers a newer Chevy Volt wouldn't be a bad commuter. The Tesla Model S is also nice, but the Chevy is quite a bit less expensive.

I would swap the pickup out for a Ford Transit passenger version, and remove the back seat for cargo space. The benefits here - the Transit gets better gas mileage, and can be had in 3/4 and 1-ton varieties. You also have enclosed cargo space vs a pickup bed, which is nice when the weather is dicey or you want to keep things more secure if you have to stop somewhere. Add a utility trailer for those items too big to go in the van and you increase the versitality. The transit would also be fine at pulling a boat (which is a goal for me) or a small camper. I happen to also really dig the ergonomics of the full size Transit over the F150. I had one as a rental for a month when my F150 service truck was in the body shop and didn't want to give it back. So comfy and it turned way better than the F150.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My daily ride 08 Tacoma 254000 miles no major repairs.
    Wifes car 17 Honda accord.
    Fun car 65 Ford Mustang semi resto mod.
    I wanted a diesel just to have one until I worked on a few. No Thanks!
    I down/ up graded from an F250 to the Taco I don't have any trailers so the big truck was not needed.
    There will never be an EV in my garage or driveway.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Wifes car 17 Honda accord.
    Fun car 65 Ford Mustang semi resto mod.
    I wanted a diesel just to have one until I worked on a few. No Thanks!
    I down/ up graded from an F250 to the Taco I don't have any trailers so the big truck was not needed.
    I like that line-up. Could definitely live with that.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm single, but do own more than 3 vehicles.
    Daily Driver is a small pick-up. Tacoma/Frontier. I like Frontiers. I just like trucks and have always needed one for work.
    2nd vehicle a full size truck 3/4 ton. Doesn't get used as much, but when you need a real truck, you need a real truck. Camper puller mostly.
    3rd vehicle always a V8 sports car with standard trans. Camaro, Corvette etc...
    4th vehicle is a bike. One with a motor. This could be anything really. I'm not married to any of them. Currently it's a DRZ 400.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Those are rookie numbers. I'm at 368K on the Tahoe.

My buddy is a mechanic. he told me the 2000-2004 Chevy motors (V-8s) were the best motors Chevy ever used. In fact, they changed a part in the valve train after 04 which resulted in more engine failures at around 250k or less.

He told me those motors can easily get 500K, and some have hit 700K. I took it as a personal challenge. lol

Rebuilt the tranny at about 220K. There is a factory defect in those trannies. The new part installed (in the yoke) can get 300K or more after rebuild.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Well we gots 3 vehicles for the wifey and I

I drive a 2014 Silverado, only have 63K on it
    Wife drives and luv's her 2019 Subaru, we have taken trips in it and is good for 2.
    Lastly is the mini-van for grandma to take road trips with the grandkids. They have hit about 50% of the states in the thing. 3 years ago was the west coast and last year was the east coast. Just have the middle to go. Grandpa stays home, no way I want to spend 4 weeks in a car with 4 kids under 10.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've only got 2 vehicles now:
    2019 Honda Odyssey (wife)
    2020 Honda Civic (mine)

If I could get an EV for a decent price, I'd love to get one since my wife's van only gets around 19 to 20 mpg since almost all of her driving is short trips and the cost of gas is nuts.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A Lexus hybrid so I can pocket my client-visit mileage would nicely compliment our current fleet. And also would be easier to park when we go to the city.

Current fleet:
    2018 Suburban
    3015 Silverado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    A Lexus hybrid so I can pocket my client-visit mileage would nicely compliment our current fleet. And also would be easier to park when we go to the city.

Current fleet:
    2018 Suburban
    3015 Silverado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My last car was a Lexus hybrid (HS250h). I get slightly better milage with my Civic now.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Mini-or- Full size van for installation of lift for electric wheelchair/scooter. The scooter may not always be needed, but will always need a way to transport it.

I have a pickup now, but, it needs some serious body and electrical work to make ér reliable again. So, another full size pickup would be high on this list. 4x4 Would be my preferred option.

Lastly, would be my fun ride. This is one of those things that will just never happen. A 1970 Chevy C-10 with a complete frame off rebuild. I would like to have at least one naturally aspirated engine for when the commies in china shut down all our electronics. :50cal::rocket::machine::loaded::twin: :roflfunny:

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The perfect fleet has no limits. My current fleet is down to 22 cylinders and 25 wheels/tires.

I think I need more cylinders, which means more tires and for the first time in a long time, I have no project vehicles.

But I’m thinking about the next one; it will be a pure addition.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Only three? You're killing me...
    A 2023 ideal lineup would look like:
    - Lotus Emira
    - CT4-V Blackwing 6-speed
    - Land Rover Defender

If I had to pair down the current fleet, I'd keep: