• ...and so much more!
  • beaner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Plano
    from the comments
    Posted on January 18, 2013 at 9:58am

They’re not talking about literally making guns out of plastic. They are talking about making plastic replicas to create ceramic molds, and then taking those molds to a blacksmith/metal worker to create the guns.

I can see the brain cells smoking on this one.

:cool:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    They’re not talking about literally making guns out of plastic. They are talking about making plastic replicas to create ceramic molds, and then taking those molds to a blacksmith/metal worker to create the guns.
    :cool:

Well yes they are, that is part of the deal also, maybe not in that article but same concept. No need to use a blacksmith or metal worker.

The first open-source 3D-printed gun | ExtremeTech

(note: if you can print an AR lower, just how hard would it be to add another hole and not include some of plastic in the rear? Can you say M-16??)

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    (note: if you can print an AR lower, just how hard would it be to add another hole and not include some of plastic in the rear? Can you say M-16??)

Sir, please remain in your home. The black helicopters will be there shortly. Also, Dianne Feinstein riding one of those flying things from the Lord of the Rings.

beaner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Plano
    Well yes they are, that is part of the deal also, maybe not in that article but same concept. No need to use a blacksmith or metal worker.

Quote stuff correctly please.

You can already cnc a lower for probably cheaper than it would cost to print one.

What I quoted seems like it is a bit excessive.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Sir, please remain in your home. The black helicopters will be there shortly. Also, Dianne Feinstein riding one of those flying things from the Lord of the Rings.

So exactly what don't you understand about that issue? Did you see the article I posted? Do you comprehend the minor differences between a FA and a SA lower? Just saying it's a piece of cake, no conspiracy theory there..........

Quote stuff correctly please.

I did, exactly what you posted.

I think we all know that this is emerging technology and will get better over time. Fully understand that anybody with a CNC machine and some basic knowledge with those machines can make this happen. However that is expensive equipment that many can't afford to have in their living room, while 3D printers are not cheap, they are a lot cheaper than either a CNC machine, or a basic milling machine and the amount of skill you must have to operate one, and the printers are getting cheaper as the market emerges. I suspect as the plastic chemistry evolves, you will soon see AR printed lowers going more than 100 rounds before failure relatively soon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Mag springs are easy and cheap to purchase, and you can get them in bulk. A 3D printer can be had for about $750, all assembled and ready to go.

I think it's an awesome idea. As someone else said, sure CNC guys can already do this but desktop 3D printer tech is way cheaper and smaller than CNC equipment. Printing lowers and other high stress components has a long way to go but wouldn't it be great to print your own magazines, rails, grips, etc?

The bigger picture here is that prohibition doesn't work. People will always find a way around it. Technology is making that easier every day.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The 3D printing revolution will change the way we do things in the not so distant future......Just download the program and make it at home...

I guess no one remembers when Texas Instruments calculators came out and were extremely expensive .....and now some calculators that can do more than the originals are $5 bucks or less.

Don't poo poo the technology, or be short sighted...Springs? Will they have to ban those when you can print a 30 round mag at home? It's coming. And so what if the mags wear out in a few hundred rounds? Print another.

I know the Gentlemen involved in the story. The Government is very, very concerned about the technology and how we as consumers will be able to produce our own weapons and gear.....at home.

The number one visitor to their website? Would you be surprised to know it's the Dept. of Homeland Security?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The 3D printing revolution will change the way we do things in the not so distant future......Just download the program and make it at home...
    Home and office printers hurt the printing business but they didn't kill it all together. There's lots of scenarios where it's easier and cheaper to have Kinko's print stuff for you. I don't see 3D printing ever becoming the "star trek replicator" that a lot of people think it will, but it has already revolutionized prototyping. More people being able to "make" things in the home workshop is a good thing, so long as you don't mind that thing being made of thermoplastic. The digital nature of the design allows objects to be shared very easily over the internet which is also great.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I agree. printing shops are still around, but not in the numbers they once were. Think about the video and photo processing stores that have gone away.....

While some folks have vision and will take advantage of the evolving technologies in their infancy stages and reap great rewards, I have never been one of those folks....

I am keeping an open mind and willing to grasp an opportunity if it presents itself....however...

beaner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Plano
    I did, exactly what you posted.

Uh, not exactly. What you did was have it appear that I said something some wingbat on another website posted and removed my response to it.

I think we all know that this is emerging technology and will get better over time. Fully understand that anybody with a CNC machine and some basic knowledge with those machines can make this happen. However that is expensive equipment that many can't afford to have in their living room, while 3D printers are not cheap, they are a lot cheaper than either a CNC machine, or a basic milling machine and the amount of skill you must have to operate one, and the printers are getting cheaper as the market emerges. I suspect as the plastic chemistry evolves, you will soon see AR printed lowers going more than 100 rounds before failure relatively soon.

No argument from me on this one. It will get better over time. My point is that there are aready manufacturing techniques available which allow people to make items that have a greater chance of working.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Some of the trigger parts could be printed, too. I used to own a rifle with a plastic trigger group.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom