The town of Waller had....

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Pappy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Pappy

Pappy Resident Septuagenarian

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    The town of Waller had a 4th of July festival on school stadium grounds.

The Waller police dept. had several non 30.06 signs displayed that stated no alcohol or firearms allowed.

Question; Do local police signs have the same legality as the state 30.06 for a CHL holder?

I personally think that school grounds are off-limits and with local LE backing, this is a no-no for a CHL.

What do y'all think????

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I would say yes.

3. Slotback

Slotback Member

Mar 10, 2008
    I would say yes as well.

4. Pappy

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I tend to agree.
    1. School grounds.
    2. Local PD signs.

Nope, I'm legal or not, I'm not carrying there...

5. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I don't think that a non-30.06 sign has any legal authority on non-restricted places, even if the police post them, but I think that this is already off limits because of the school stadium. I'm pretty sure that school events are also subject to the same no-carry laws as school athletic events, but someone can correct me.

6. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I'm certainly not an attorney, but my understanding is the police signs have no value what so ever to CHL's. No 30.06, no concern. The fact that the celebration was held "in" a school stadium (ie. inside a building) then the normal CHL statutes concerning school carry would apply, even though an actual school activity wasn't taking place. This wouldn't preclude having a gun in your car in the parking lot.

We need to lobby Congress to get schools off the list of sacred places. They aren't any more secure than anywhere else.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    From what it sounds like, it a like many towns do, use the school grounds for the fireworks launch and poeple pack the parking lots. I highly doubt they're use a staduid to launch from and/or have people sitting in that stadium.

That said, the school grounds are not off limits. Inside the buildings is.

Look to the law, not the signs. :texas: But be smart and use reasonable judgment, if the law allows that. :rofl:

I'd like to hear from TX on this though. Effective notice is just that. But can a non-30.06 compliant sign be considered effective notice in any special circumstance regardless of who posts it? I don't think so.

I'd wonder if legally, a town or city "could" (but likely would never go there) provide effective, 30.06 compliant effective notice through the marketing or announcements about the show, but it would have to be specific and worded appropriately to prohibit CHL holders from carrying.

8. rayj8524

rayj8524 New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    IMHO, even though the signs are not legal and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court, it would still be a hassle at the moment and most likely an embarrasment. Fight the battles you know you can win.

9. Pappy

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, you can win the fight, but the ride is not worth it....

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Sometimes the way to win the fight IS to ride it out. But every situation is for each individual to decide, and there's no wrong answer.