• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    Like a lot of kids her age, Phoebe Prince was a swan, always beautiful and sometimes awkward.
    Discuss COMMENTS (23) Last fall, she moved from Ireland into western Massachusetts, a new town, a new high school, a new country, a new culture. She was 15, when all that matters is being liked and wearing the right clothes and just fitting in.
    She was a freshman and she had a brief fling with a senior, a football player, and for this she became the target of the Mean Girls, who decided then and there that Phoebe didn’t know her place and that Phoebe would pay.
    Kids can be mean, but the Mean Girls took it to another level, according to students and parents. They followed Phoebe around, calling her a slut. When they wanted to be more specific, they called her an Irish slut.
    The name-calling, the stalking, the intimidation was relentless.
    Ten days ago, Phoebe was walking home from school when one of the Mean Girls drove by in a car. An insult and an energy drink can came flying out the car window in Phoebe’s direction.
    Phoebe kept walking, past the abuse, past the can, past the white picket fence, into her house. Then she walked into a closet and hanged herself. Her 12-year-old sister found her.
    You would think this would give the bullies who hounded Phoebe some pause. Instead, they went on Facebook and mocked her in death.
    They told State Police detectives they did nothing wrong, had nothing to do with Phoebe killing herself.
    And then they went right back to school and started badmouthing Phoebe.
    They had a dance, a cotillion, at the Log Cabin in Holyoke two days after Phoebe’s sister found her in the closet, and some who were there say one of the Mean Girls bragged about how she played dumb with the detectives who questioned her.
    Last week, one of the Springfield TV stations sent a crew to South Hadley High to talk to the kids.
    One girl was interviewed on camera, and she said what was common knowledge: that bullies were stalking the corridors of South Hadley High.
    As soon as the TV crew was out of sight, one of the Mean Girls came up and slammed the girl who had been interviewed against a locker and punched her in the head.
    The Mean Girls are pretty, and popular, and play sports.
    So far, they appear to be untouchable, too.
    South Hadley is a nice, comfortable middle-class suburb that hugs the Connecticut River nearby and a certain attitude.
    “Things like this aren’t supposed to happen in South Hadley,’’ said Darby O’Brien, a high school parent, wondering why the bullies who tormented Phoebe are still in school. “And so instead of confronting the evil among us, the reality that there are bullies roaming the corridors at South Hadley High, people are blaming the victim, looking for excuses why a 15-year-old girl would do this. People are in denial.’’
    School officials say there are three investigations going on. They say these things take time.
    That doesn’t explain why the Mean Girls who tortured Phoebe remain in school, defiant, unscathed.
    “What kind of message does this send to the good kids?’’ O’Brien asked. “How many kids haven’t come forward to tell what they know because they see the bullies walking around untouched?’’
    They were supposed to hold a big meeting on Tuesday to talk about all this, but now that’s off for a couple of weeks.
    O’Brien is thinking about going to that meeting and suggesting that they have the kids who bullied Phoebe look at the autopsy photos.
    “Let them see what a kid who hung herself looks like,’’ he said.
    Last week, Phoebe was supposed to visit Ireland, where she grew up, and she was excited because she was going to see her father for the first time in months.
    She did end up going back to Ireland after all, and when her father saw her she was in a casket.
    Phoebe’s family decided to bury her in County Clare. They wanted an ocean between her and the people who hounded her to the grave.
    Kevin Cullen is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at cullen@globe.com. © Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.

The untouchable Mean Girls - The Boston Globe
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Wow... too bad she opted to kill herself instead of seeking real help. I'm sure this is going to come off as callous to some people, but if you can't survive some high school bullies, then how are you going to survive grown up life with real assholes, real criminals, and real responsibilities?

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    High school is a very different place than what it was when I wwas there. Back in the day the attacker would be suspended, and the victim allowed to move on, but not anymore. Their "Zero Tolerance" perpetuates these things. My son got jumped by a kid in class with a teacher as a witness, and the school suspended my son as well as his attacker. To the victim it is as if they are being punished for being the victim. This is why I pulled him out of school.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I was the fat zit faced kid in high school and was tormented from the beginning of 6th grade to high school graduation. One of my greatest regrets is I did not end it early. I was afraid of punishment for fighting back, now I wish I would've just laid into them and let it fly. Bullying is not fun if the it becomes work. They move on to other victims. My advice to all who are bullied: FIGHT BACK!!!!!! Don't get mad or depressed, get even.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I confronted the school bully my sophomore year. He won, but he didn't ever come back for more. It seems even the winners get seriously messed up sometimes. Like my grand dad said, "tell 'em they better bring a sack lunch".

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    In my move from jr high to high school (9th grade) I determined that no motherf****r was going to f*** with me. First guy that did, I took him on (and still carry a scar from his class ring) but I got in enough punches to put him on the ground, then sat on his chest and pounded the f*** out of him. Thought I'd killed him when I held his arms down and used my knee to smack him in the nose a couple of times and his eyes rolled back.

The guy claimed the next day that three dudes had jumped him, to explain his injuries. My friends set the record straight. No one ever f****d with me after that, including the quarterback, after I'd. . . .um, dallied, shall we say, with his girlfriend.

The zero tolerance and bullshit like that is helping us to raise a generation of wimps. Life hurts. Get over it.

Oh, and years later, in college, I "dallied" with the quarterback's little sister, too! LOL! I still think that's funny as hell and I never really had anything against the guy, personally.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Parents need to step up to help the bullied kids, too. Zero tolerance crap was just getting ground when I was in school, but my parents told me that they would come in and go to bat for me as long as it was self defense.

And they acknowledged that you can throw the first punch and still be defending yourself. The fight starts when the fight is inevitable. I can remember a few times when I would literally get cornered and think "alright - escape isn't an option... only one option left now".

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    When I was in school, we never really had any bullying, I went to a really small k-12 1A school, 33 people in my class, Yes we had the groups, but we all got along cause we grew up together, and since it was so small, if there was a bully the admin dealt with it quickly and usually resulted in him or her not ever doing it again and if it continued they went to the alternative school for a while.

It is something that the school needs to deal with, if not then there needs to be a change in admin.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    High school is a very different place than what it was when I wwas there. Back in the day the attacker would be suspended, and the victim allowed to move on, but not anymore. Their "Zero Tolerance" perpetuates these things. My son got jumped by a kid in class with a teacher as a witness, and the school suspended my son as well as his attacker. To the victim it is as if they are being punished for being the victim. This is why I pulled him out of school.

All I have to say about zero tolerance is it makes you have nothing left to lose by fighting back. After all if you have to pay the band enjoy the dance to the fullest.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No one screwed with me in high school for the reason that they legitimately thought I would come back and kill everyone the next day, LOL.

I picked on a few kids that thought it was cool to be a butthead, one of them kept on after some kid in the gym one day so I grabbed him and directed his head into the wall (granted it was the padded part) a few times until he decided he had enough.

It helps being crazy.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    No one screwed with me in high school for the reason that they legitimately thought I would come back and kill everyone the next day, LOL.

I picked on a few kids that thought it was cool to be a butthead, one of them kept on after some kid in the gym one day so I grabbed him and directed his head into the wall (granted it was the padded part) a few times until he decided he had enough.

It helps being crazy.

Personally I look at being crazy as a positive, you are unpredictable.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    IMO this isn't simple bullying it is more a symptom of a sick society that appears moving in the direction of animals more then human,we had bullies in the 50's but usually boys would meet in a favorite location and duke it out, no kicking a man when down, walk away after the fight was over.......(had my nose broke in one such encounter), teachers knew, no big deal, but then we had about 50% male teachers may have made some difference.
    Not sure what the problem is but its invading our schools and society in general, rudeness and wanting to confront everyone we come in contact with much like the stupid reality shows.

I'm more interested in why has this occurred in our society, population growth,television, breaking up of families, decline in morals etc, not sure but for me I would not send a kid to public schools in this era has to be a better way.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Killing yourself is the cowardly way out of any situation. The weak will be weeded out. Sounds mean, I guess, but it is mother natures way.

Zero tolerance and PCness are destroying this country. My children will not learn those ways. They are taught to fight back and speak the truth, even if it means hurting someones feelings or physical pain to themselves. My kids will not be victims.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX

I had pretty much the same reaction with my peers in high school. I was one of the guys that wore all black every day of the week, all year long, but I didn't hang out with any of the goth kids or fit into any groups like that. I just kept to myself and dressed the way I did to keep people away from me. I think even the anti-social "dark" groups of kids though I was weird. When someone would pick on me or try to make me angry, I just ignored them and eventually the bullying would stop. I never reacted to anyone, and would often just let a teacher or school official know about the problem and they would take care of it for me. My biggest enemy in high school was myself, both academically and mentally, but I eventually worked through that and got back on the right path by my senior year.

I think girls have it harder than guys in high school. I think the majority of girls have a dependence on the feeling of "fitting in", being accepted by others, etc. Where words and insults would likely just bounce off a teenage guy, they really sink in with the girls. If you're not part of a "group" of friends as a girl, people look at you differently than a guy in the same situation.

Being from a different country, this girl might have had other underlying problems. Did she know she could go to the teachers and school officials for help? REAL help, and not just a pat on the back and "forget about it" advice? She might not have. I don't know how they do school in Ireland, but she may have thought this was a personal matter and the school would not want to get involved, or even care. I've had some small involvement with foreign exchange students from overseas, and most of them have a very different view on school and home/social life interaction.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I would not send a kid to public schools in this era...
    I see public schools as the perfect training ground for teaching kids how to deal with all the assholes, criminals, and manipulative bitches that exist in adult life. Public schools are unique in that they cram all of society into a small area. Kids get to see and experience all types of people and learn how to deal with them. The vast majority of the kids in the school are not like the "mean girls" in this thread...

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I am not one to condone violence. But all the Bully Girls need to be approached one at a time. With no one around and have their arses kicked HARD.
    Then while they are down and bleeding, they need to be told why they got this arse whipping. And that if it ever happens again, they will be found and punished again. And it would continue until their bullying stopped.
    Some people just think they are above it all, and only respond to one thing. Again I dont condone violence, but unless these girls are taught a lesson, they will hurt others.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I think it's funny that the older I get, the more I understand the need for a good ass kicking. People that manipulate others using violence, are often only taught the errors of their ways using the same tactics. At least IMHO.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    I think it's funny that the older I get, the more I understand the need for a good ass kicking. People that manipulate others using violence, are often only taught the errors of their ways using the same tactics. At least IMHO.

Some people are just too dumb to understand anything but pain.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    We have two teenage sons in middle school, and bullying hasn't changed. Granted both our boys are in braces, our oldest is in Chess Club and plays tennis (bullies delight!), our youngest is still finding his way, and wants to start Football next year. Both of our boys have been targeted in the past by bullies. Our oldest is passive/non-confrontational at heart, youngest is hot-headed and short fused. Both have been taught to box since 7 and 6 respectively. As it so happens, they have been raised going "to the range" since youngsters, and with twice a week boxing (full pads/headgear, cups and mouthpieces in place) lessons, have grown up into very thoughtful, respectful young men. I am VERY proud of our sons. When our oldest was being bullied, he talked to us. Our first response was, "ignore it, when it gets to a point that you can't ignore it anymore, please let us know". He did, ignored this little ass-ape for another three weeks before coming to me and telling me he had had enough. I explained that he had the tools to remedy the situation, just whether he was prepared for the consequences, and that no matter the outcome, I had his back. He went to school the next day and boxed the kid. He was given 3 days inner school suspension, and I paid out of pocket for the other kids sutures and dental work. Hasn't been picked on since. Our youngest just joined his older brother in middle school, and has boxed two kids so far this year, has had inner school suspension once, and was suspended for three days on the second one. BOTH situations were from our boys being bullied by someone in grades higher than them. BOTH incidents were quietly disciplined by the school due to the fact that when our CHILDREN were not being supervised while at school, the bullying tactics were there, and not stopped by staff. Have our boys been picked on about their teeth, among other juvenile situations? Oh yeah, but they know how to take care of themselves, have grown thick skinned to verbal assualts, and have met physical violence with enough force to stop the attack. Public Schools are about the same as they were when my wife and I attended...the parents are the issue. So many of our boys friends are so self-absorbed, and ignorant of what their kids are doing it frightens me. I am so glad that I know my sons, they are my most accomplished action of my life, and they know that I didn't start out raising children, I started out building Men, and they have met the challenge and exceeded ANY expectation I have ever had.

Top Bottom