Capitol Armory ad

There *ARE* good kids out here !!! (rave)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I have not been to my boat / the docks for quite a while and could see others had the "fishing" lights on so I decided to see what was happening. When I got to my stall which is near the end (deepest portion) of the dock, I noticed no one was on the dock. I rummaged through the boat looking for my gear and found my "good" rod n reel were missing. Shortly thereafter, 3 teenage boys walked up, one of them being a home owners son. Let's call him Spencer - that is his name ;).

Spencer asked me 'how's it going' and I said 'not worth a doo doo (I may have used different terminology), someone stole my good rod n reel'! The boys actually asked some good, relevant, follow up questions but the fact remained that the rod n reel where not on-board.

I excused myself and came home searching through every closet or nook-n-cranny I may have stashed the rod n reel in to no avail. I stepped out on the porch and here comes Spencer walking up the road. 'Sir, I can not tell a lie, we were using your rod n reel'. Spencer repeatedly apologized not only for borrowing the gear without permission but also for not telling the truth to begin with.

I let Spencer know in no uncertain terms that his accepting responsibility was excellent and he was welcome to use my gear anytime, all I asked is that he return it when he's done using it. The next time I see his parents I will discreetly relay the story.
    Guns International

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Lol just curious. Ever since I've been working the fishing department (I don't know shit about fishing and they know it), I've been having an itch to get a rod and reel and go fishing. I just want to see what others are using. I have been looking at a shimano and a pflueger reel, spinning cast, and was considering an ugly stick rod, but don't know yet.

We also have some nice Abu Garcia combos at $120.... But I don't know yet.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Actually it is a Shimano fast action rod and Daiwa Silvercast reel. Love it.

Thanks for jackin' the thread :p

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Depending on what you are fishing for, and what reel you are using, the Uglystick rods are usually really good ones. I have a 15 ft surf rod that has been a really good one. I busted two of the cheaper white 14ft rods Academy sells, during that time the Uglystick keeps taking abuse.

Talk to some of your co-workers. You really need to match the rod to the reel, and those both depend on the type fishing you will be doing.

And Glockster, I had a similar experience a couple months ago. My son lent out my angle grinder to a friend, who promptly burned it up. (don't know he how could do it) He came by and I asked about it, which was met with profuse apologies. He returned about three hours later with a nice Bosch grinder. He burned up a $13 China Freight grinder, but he insisted on buying me a much nicer one. Kind of restores your faith in today's youth a bit.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    And Glockster, I had a similar experience a couple months ago. My son lent out my angle grinder to a friend, who promptly burned it up. (don't know he how could do it) He came by and I asked about it, which was met with profuse apologies. He returned about three hours later with a nice Bosch grinder. He burned up a $13 China Freight grinder, but he insisted on buying me a much nicer one. Kind of restores your faith in today's youth a bit.
    Yes sir, it does. I go through spells but lately the constant barrage of negative news and gov. corruption had me down. Generally speaking, people are good, just thought it was time for something positive. :cool:

AND I got a kick out of you starting off with fishing advice. lol

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yes sir, it does. I go through spells but lately the constant barrage of negative news and gov. corruption had me down. Generally speaking, people are good, just thought it was time for something positive. :cool:

AND I got a kick out of you starting off with fishing advice. lol

I frequently get distracted by fishing. hehe.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    sounds like the kid thought about it, and realized, "hey, I used his stuff without asking and that was wrong, but if I don't tell him then i'm a thief".....realized his error and was willing to accept the consequences. That's hard for a young kid to do, especially after he knew you were PO'd. Good for him, and that was great to "reward" him with the use of your gear for doing just that. Hats off to you for being able to turn it into a positive.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    sounds like the kid thought about it, and realized, "hey, I used his stuff without asking and that was wrong, but if I don't tell him then i'm a thief".....realized his error and was willing to accept the consequences. That's hard for a young kid to do, especially after he knew you were PO'd. Good for him, and that was great to "reward" him with the use of your gear for doing just that. Hats off to you for being able to turn it into a positive.
    yep

oneBADDz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Lubbock
    I'm equally impressed by your reaction as I am with him stepping up to accept responsibility for taking it. You certainly helped keep him on his path down the high road.

Top Bottom