• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I have a Colt Series 80 1991. I have fired 200 rounds through it with no problems and enjoy shooting it. Latley I have been looking at the Sig P220 Carry and have been thinking about trading my Colt for a Sig. This gun is used for a night stand gun, range gun and a SHTF sidearm. My main reasoning behind this is I keep reading and have had my share of reliability issues with the 1911. If SHTF and there is no gunsmith around which gun would you rather have assuming you dont know how to do much more than a detailed field strip with your 1911? Would you personally make this trade? I know this comes down to personal preference but I want your OPINIONS. I have also shot a Sig 220 and like both of them pretty much the same as far as feel goes. I guess overall I'm asking for the pros and cons of each and your personal choice if you had to choose one.
    Thanks
    Justin

colt002-1.gif

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    That's a tough one, everyone who shoots a lot of different 1911's has had thier share of issues from time to time but if that particular Colt doesn't have any problems I'd say keep it. P220 is a great gun and prob has a outstanding reliability record but doesn't have the same character imo.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    My personal preference is the 220, but not due to reliability issues. I've got med-small hands and I can't handle a 1911 as well as I can handle the 220. I do like the advantage of field stripping and cleaning the Sig in half the time or less than a 1911 though. The 220 wins the takedown and reassembly war easily. Parts availability is a hands down to the 1911 though; that's why I have my spare parts on hand. Every gun I have has a spare set of springs and critical spares sitting in my drawers.

My advice, Craigslist all the junk you don't need around the house/garage/closet and buy a used 220, then go shoot'em both for 500-1000 rounds. You'll figure out the best choice for You.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    The plus side is that they are both good guns so if you make the trade & don't like what you get you wont have any trouble trading for somethig else.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Trade? Why not keep both? Keep the Colt for the bed stand and get the Sig for carry...Don't know about Sigs, but I do know that the probability that the Colt will lose resale value over the years is not likely.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Mesquite, TX. I used to have a p220 about 4 years ago and I liked it alot but ended up trading it for a Kimber pro carry which was my first 1911. I always want a full metal framed pistol in my collection. I really like both platforms and thats why this decisio is so hard. I know what they both shoot like and like them both. I just cant decide which one to go with at this time.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i would go for the p220 in this scenario.

in SHTF situation i would go with the 220 given the choice.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Colt is a proven platform, and the Swiss and Germans have never used the P-220 in lethal combat.

Although I am no fan of the "Series 80" Colt firing pin safety, I would trust it just as much as any Sig.

Hence, save your money, and put the difference into ammo to shoot through your Colt until you can nail a nickle at 15 yards.

Be well.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I dont have an extra $600-$800 laying around to buy a sig so a trade would be my only option

If you like the Colt, then you should keep it and save for the Sig. Value wise, the used Colt resale is worth the same as a new Sig retail. However, once the Sig has the same number of rounds down the pipe, will it be worth as much as the Colt? Probably not. I also like the Sig and I would consider a trade for any pistol or rifle I own with the exception of my Colt.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    The Colt is a proven platform, and the Swiss and Germans have never used the P-220 in lethal combat.

Although I am no fan of the "Series 80" Colt firing pin safety, I would trust it just as much as any Sig.

Hence, save your money, and put the difference into ammo to shoot through your Colt until you can nail a nickle at 15 yards.

Be well.

The firing pin safety is very simple and reliable. I have shot a few thousand rounds through my Series 80 without a single issue that was not ammo or cheap mag related.

Bearbacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    DFW
    I have a 220 and still love it. I used to have a Series 70 Combat Commander. The SIG is single action/double action and the Colt is SA only. It'll reliably chamber an empty case, and so it will feed reliably any ammo you care to put in it. I cannot say that about any Colt I have owned. It's about the weight of the Colt Commander with the alloy frame, as the SIG also has an alloy frame.

But here's the thing: I sometimes wish I had the Combat Commander back, too.

For this reason, I recommend you see if there is any way you can keep the Colt and acquire the SIG too. Short term, it may not be possible, but you can save some money over a period of time. In this case, time can be your friend.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    P220 single action is a good option. I have one and love it. I only wish they'd come out with a single-action version of the P226.

Top Bottom