• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My little brother's birthday is comming around and I was thinking about getting him a Nagant (or heck I might get one for myself). Its not a $1k AR, but its something that goes boom and has a little history behind it (Enemy at the Gate anyone?) Ammo is cheap.

I was looking at them here
    Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Hex Mosin Nagant Rifle

They've got sets selling for $70, $80, and $100 with $10 for a "handpicked" one. The only difference I can tell is the $100 one has a laminated stock.

I don't know anything about them except that there are many different variations.

Any advice as to where I should buy one? The only other option I was considering was a gun show. Thanks. I appriciate it.
    Lynx Defense

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If you want to see and hand pick one, run up to Cabela's in Buda. They had a rack of about 25 of em yesterday. I think they were marked $149.00 but you get your puck of the litter and no shipping charges.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    They have been going on sale for less than $100 at Cabelas. If you are thinking about gifts... check Shotgun news or hit the on line sites, prices drop when you buy 5... and after you have your first one well.... I had 6, gave 4 as gifts at Christmas and now wish I had ordered 12. They are fun to shoot and can make a nice build project if you are so inclined.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Go to the SAXET show next weekend, there are several dealers that carry them there and you'll save the gas! We're going Saturday morning when it opens, eating breakfast at IHOP prior. I'll be more than happy to show you which vendors to check with.

As for which one to get, a standard 91/30 is what most people get. They run about a hundred bucks and will whet their appetite for more. After that he can start collecting if he sees fit, there are older, rarer models which are harder to find and cost more or he can go the carbine route which are even more fun to shoot as they make these huge fireballs when you shoot 'em!

Once he has the rifle, steer he towards 7.62x54R.net for all the info and help he'll need. It's a great forum, but one warning, the mere mention of refurbishment, modification or refinishing will invoke a serious lashback! That site is run by a strict collector who doesn't allow any discussion outside of that arena!

Cheers! M2

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I was in cabelas Friday and they had a large selection of them. They come with the bayonet, sling, field cleaning kit, and 4 pouches. If you dont find one at the gun show hit up Cabelas, by the time your pay for shipping and transfer fees to an FFL your spend the 149 anyway.

I will be at saxet looking for some spam cans of ammo at decent prices.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Go to the SAXET show next weekend, there are several dealers that carry them there and you'll save the gas! We're going Saturday morning when it opens, eating breakfast at IHOP prior. I'll be more than happy to show you which vendors to check with.

As for which one to get, a standard 91/30 is what most people get. They run about a hundred bucks and will whet their appetite for more. After that he can start collecting if he sees fit, there are older, rarer models which are harder to find and cost more or he can go the carbine route which are even more fun to shoot as they make these huge fireballs when you shoot 'em!

Once he has the rifle, steer he towards 7.62x54R.net for all the info and help he'll need. It's a great forum, but one warning, the mere mention of refurbishment, modification or refinishing will invoke a serious lashback! That site is run by a strict collector who doesn't allow any discussion outside of that arena!

Cheers! M2

Thanks for the post. I might take you up on that offer.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    That AIMsurplus link you posted is a great deal. Hex receivers are more desirable than round receiver nagant's.

Gander mountain usually has round receiver ihzvesk's for $130

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Another bud asked me about Mosins a while back, and I just found my response which I am cutting-'n-pasting here in case it helps...

For your first Mosin, I'd recommend a "run-of-the-mill" 91/30 which can be had for about a hundred bucks either online or at a show. It should have the usual accouterments...dog-collar sling, bayonet (which will be a pain in the ass to remove it you install it), cleaning kit to include a rusting oiler can and a bolt take down and set up tool, and a double mag pouch.

Then pick up about 100 rounds of 7.62x54R and shoot it a few times. Once you get your shoulder back into its socket, then you'll go to 7.62x54R.net and research all the other variants of Mosins available; at which point you'll send in your C&R 03 FFL paperwork and a check for thirty bucks to the ATF to which a month or so later you'll get your license to have them delivered straight to your doorstep.

At this point, you'll send signed copies (do not sign the original!!) to a list of online dealers who sell Mosins, and you'll start getting catalogs full of stuff you never knew you wanted and/or needed!

But be warned, there is a serious health condition called "Mosinitis" (Google it) that involves an odd smell of cosmoline and the sudden disappearance of money from your wallet. Tell-tale symptoms include a constant need to watch Enemy At The Gates and a true understanding of this scientific comparison.

Good luck with your decision, and may Ivan have mercy on your soul!

Cheers! M2

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Go for it, I like the m44 carbine version better, shorter, lighter, easier to maneuver, and the 10ft fireball ain't bad either! I love mine, everyone wants to shoot it. I overpaid a bit due to ignorance and impulse but well worth it anyways.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    woof... that is one ooogly revolver. Learned somethin new!

You should see it's ammunition.

7.62x38r

closeup+of+Fiocchi+7.62+Nagant+ammo.jpg

That's not a spent casing

biyf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Waco area
    Mosin-Nagant's a great, but I really like the carbine version a lot more than the rifle (1891) version, which is about four miles long. Also, you may want to pick up a slip-on recoil pad with your purchase. You and your shoulder will see what I mean after you've run about a box of ammo through.

If your bolt is hard to open after firing a round, you may want to google "mosin stuck bolt" for the solution. Basically, it's a lot of cosmolene built up in the chamber.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A "slip-on recoil pad?!?" Sounds like a tampon! Real men shoot their Mosins the way Sergei (and Leon) intended it!

If your shoulder is sore afterward, have Helga massage it for ya; but for the Czar's sake please don't put those modern day rubber nut huggers on your Mosin!

Cheers! M2

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have a 91/30 and love it. In fact, at the range my AR and AK are often neglected from the amount of time I spend shooting my mosin-nagant!

The ammo can be had cheaply, and it is a fun round to shoot. No need for the rubber recoil pad, the kick is very manageable.

Not surprised to see max as the last responder on this thread either! That guy knows his mosins!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    A "slip-on recoil pad?!?" Sounds like a tampon! Real men shoot their Mosins the way Sergei (and Leon) intended it!

If your shoulder is sore afterward, have Helga massage it for ya; but for the Czar's sake please don't put those modern day rubber nut huggers on your Mosin!

Cheers! M2

Would Stalin mind a folded towel on the shoulder?

Top Bottom