• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am thinking I want to replace the vortex magnifier and vortex red dot scope and go with a magnified scope with a red dot ontop For my M-4 style AR-15 in 5.56. I have seen a few brands ranging from 100 bucks to 2000. I do not believe vortex makes one so I am asking opinions on brand and those who have used one do they like it?

I was thinking of also something like this http://www.spuhr.biz/ideal-scope-mount-system and just get a medium range scope and then a red dot ontop The 2nd picture and 8th picture on that link

Edit: If I did the above scope mount then I could get a Vortex and pick out a red dot similar to the pics but again to those who have used that setup how did you like it?

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    If you are considering a magnified scope with a red dot on top and have $2000 to spend you might consider an acog. They are the toughest scopes you will find. They have self luminating reticles and work well from point blank out to 200 yds and beyond. I have shot using the BAC at 0-10 yds and it works. 10-100 it's nice and out to 200 it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    If you are considering a magnified scope with a red dot on top and have $2000 to spend you might consider an acog. They are the toughest scopes you will find. They have self luminating reticles and work well from point blank out to 200 yds and beyond. I have shot using the BAC at 0-10 yds and it works. 10-100 it's nice and out to 200 it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do not have 2000 for it I was just saying I have seen things ranging from 100 to 2000.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I do not have 2000 for it I was just saying I have seen things ranging from 100 to 2000.

How much you got to spend? It helps knowing the budget.
    You can get an Acog for $1300.
    You can get a bushnell FFP BTR-1 for $215.
    Both are good choices depending on your needs.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    How much you got to spend? It helps knowing the budget.
    You can get an Acog for $1300.
    You can get a bushnell FFP BTR-1 for $215.
    Both are good choices depending on your needs.

My budget can range if I get the scope mount rings with the 45 degree for attaching a quick reflex sight I can do it in stages meaning buy scope rings one month next scope then last quick reflex sight. It depends on weather or not others input on how they liked it. Never ran an optic system like that. Not sure if it would be awkward or not and if it is worth it. Also for scope I would most likely go with Vortex. I like them. Sorry my thoughts are starting to not come out clear. I have a migraine this morning and I just took my prescription and it makes me loopy lol

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Larue makes the best mounts, but the much cheaper Burris mount is good, too. You can get mounts to accommodate a mini red dot to go on top, but if you're wanting it at a 45°, I would put a separate 45° mount on the rifle's rail. Seems like it would maintain the same height over bore better that way.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I just added a Leupold Mark AR Mod1 and I'm very pleased with it. I went with it over Vortex and other quality brands because it is the lightest weight with all things equal. A Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mount would allow you to mount a small red dot if you so choose.

screen capture

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    What's your longest shooting distance with that Mark AR?
    thanks

It is only 4x so that is somewhat limited if you're looking for small groups at long distance, but I think I could hit a plate @ 200 yards with some decent ammo. I carefully zeroed at 50 yards (55 gr .223 @3100 FPS) and then reset the CDS to 200 yards which the chart shows will be a 50/200 yard zero. I haven't shot it at 200 yards to verify that though. I think I will check it at 100 yards when I get a chance which should hit about 1.2" high with the dial set at 200 yards. Then I'll dial the CDS to 100 and if the elevation is dead on (as they say it should be) I'll feel pretty good about the set up.

If the CDS preforms as they say it does, I'll be satisfied.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    What's your longest shooting distance with that Mark AR?
    thanks

right now I only have 100 yard range and its on target with my vortex red dot and magnifier but groups are not tight being a red dot. Would like to shoot farther with it but don't have any ranges in my area that I can do that.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    right now I only have 100 yard range and its on target with my vortex red dot and magnifier but groups are not tight being a red dot. Would like to shoot farther with it but don't have any ranges in my area that I can do that.

Fossil Pointe in Decatur, Tx. 50, 100 and a 200 yard rifle range. Plus up to 800 on the special range after you are qualified. $18 day for both pistol and rifle. No FMJ allow except on the 3 Gun range. Heading up their today with Savage 308 bolt rifle, 270AR, and a 6.8 AR.

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Fossil Pointe in Decatur, Tx. 50, 100 and a 200 yard rifle range. Plus up to 800 on the special range after you are qualified. $18 day for both pistol and rifle. No FMJ allow except on the 3 Gun range. Heading up their today with Savage 308 bolt rifle, 270AR, and a 6.8 AR.

Thats an hour ride from me not to bad at all for 200 yard and then 800 yard. How do you qualify for the 800 yard?

Edit: I found their website and saw the qualification requirement. Too easy to shoot an moa group at 200 yards. I can Do Sub moa at 100.

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Thats an hour ride from me not to bad at all for 200 yard and then 800 yard. How do you qualify for the 800 yard?

Edit: I found their website and saw the qualification requirement. Too easy to shoot an moa group at 200 yards. I can Do Sub moa at 100.

Get on target for the 200 yard and your qualified. 1 hour drive for me as well. The 800 cost $35 a day. I'm still getting my Savage 10T setup with my scope and the mount.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Get on target for the 200 yard and your qualified. 1 hour drive for me as well. The 800 cost $35 a day. I'm still getting my Savage 10T setup with my scope and the mount.

I would love to go today but I have a Veterans in home appointment with the wife and I.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Just get a Leupold VX6 1-6. It has a true 1x on the low end and a red dot reticle. It is effectively a red dot but has the ability to zoom to 6x if needed.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just added a Leupold Mark AR Mod1 and I'm very pleased with it. I went with it over Vortex and other quality brands because it is the lightest weight with all things equal. A Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mount would allow you to mount a small red dot if you so choose.

screen capture
    I have the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and it is a great scope.

And yes, the PEPR mount comes with Picatinny ring tops so a small red dot would go right on top.

I have only shot mine to 100 yards and that was nothing. The only problem it the reticle bars are thick so they will cover more target than desirable at longer ranges.

That won't stop me from trying though.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 is a nice scope. The glass is very clear. I have one installed on a spare 6.8 that I use for hunting.

Top Bottom