Venture Surplus ad

Thinking of consolidating calibers. Your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Ok, basically I've got several weapons that I've obtained over the years and to be honest, I just don't shoot them. Heck, I've got an AK that's never been fired!

I'm thinking of limiting my handguns to 9mm and 45acp. That would have me ditching two .40's and a .380.

As far as rifles...I'd like to get down to just the 6.8spc, 5.56, my Mosins and my .22LR. That would mean ditching several other calibers as well.

I was told once that you should never sell/trade you're firearms because at some point you'll regret it. While that is certainly an opinion and not a fact I kind of agree, but not wholeheartedly. I have plenty of weapons that I kind of think I wouldn't miss as long as they weren't stolen from me and I got something fair in return.

With that return I could invest in some other guns that serve a more practical purpose that I've been interested in.

What is your take on the subject?

Have you ever done what I'm thinking of doing? What were your short/long term feelings about parting with your guns?

Do you have any general comments about anything I might have not thought about?
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I haven't been in your situation before, but as long as you don't get rid of anything with more than monetary value (your first pistol, first revolver, first rifle, family gun etc.), I think you'll be fine. If you do decide to get rid of the AK, let us know. I plan on getting one once I get hired on somewhere.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I have bought and sold guns over the years for a variety of reasons. Yes, there have been ones that in hind sight should have been kept, however the regrets are few and far between. Your reasoning is good, there is a very strong argument to be made to have same or limited cal(s) in your collection. However, there are others who would argue that more is always better.

What it ultimately comes down to, is what do you want and what can you afford. If selling or trading something you are not using permits you to get something you otherwise would not get, then the answer is easy. Sell/trade away. If you can afford to keep what you have and also purchase what you want ( and it seems that this is not your circumstance ) then I would suggest not selling/trading.

My short term feelings on most have been good, the long term feelings have been more mixed. Either when I find out just how rare/desired the item is now compared to when I made my trade/sale or when I find that I could actually now use the item and now must search for a replacement. However, this now starts me on a search and that is always a good thing. My 2 cents.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Ain't gonna sell. I keep entertaining the thought but then I start thinking: "I want to leave my son a BIG collection when I leave this Earth..."

Something to remember his old man by.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I did just that about 4-5 years ago....got shut of everything but the .45's an' some wheelguns, plus my P238's an' Colt Mustangs. I've since slid off the P238's in favor of the P938's - but still have the Mustangs. THOSE will likely be in my collection to the day I die.

Gettin' rid of the 40's freed up some space an' $$$ to add a coupla more .45's. Ain't got many, but enough ta keep me plinkin'.

Still have some wheelguns - love my .357 S&W's, and am thinkin' about addin' a coupla more Mdl 66 Snubbies soon. Just gotta git some more hangers for the other safe first.......

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    Prep wise it's good to have an assortment. Depending what's available you can have a gun to shoot it with.

This!
    I was thinking of consolidating a few years back but did not. Then comes another election and the "popular" calibers are no longer readily available. While I may purchase new stuff in the more common calibers, I don't know that I will ever unload my oddballs.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Already doing it. Sold my .45 a couple weeks ago. Eventually I'll replace it with another P226 (SAO this time). Benefits? One caliber. One magazine type. Two pistols.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I think about downsizing my collection from time to time. I have too many .22 rifles and handguns. I need to weed out the ones I don't really care for, but all I'll do is just buy more when I get unencumbered money in my pocket.

My center fire handguns are ok for now. I'd like to add a Glock 21 some day and maybe sell my P90.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I've got a Mustang that I have zero plans to part with.
    I just think I'm over the .40 and want to start carrying a 9mm in the same pistol, XD SC.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think, as it has been shown in this thread, that the decision to only have a few different weapons is really a personal, and sometimes financial, choice. I have several different calibers in my collection and I plan to keep them. I have two .40 cal, .one 45 cal, one 9mm, one 5.56 cal, one .357 magnum cal (and so far my only revolver) one 7.62 x 39 and three 7.62 x54R.

I'm actually looking to add a nice scoped .308 cal rifle TO that collection....something I can reach out and touch someone from a long distance.
    devil-smiley-001.gif

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I got rid of my 9's a few years ago, don't regret getting rid of the caliber but sometimes miss the guns themselves from a collection standpoint. From a practical standpoint, I'd get rid of the 9 and the 380's as well.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I like having as few a calibers as possible. .45ACP, 9x19 and .380 in pistol. Revolvers just .357 and .22.

All my pistols are 1911s except for the mandatory Browning Hi-Power.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It doesn't matter what I keep, sell, or trade .................... I always have seller's remorse after getting rid of a pistol (or rifle, shotgun, etc.). But I have gotten to the point that I've narrowed my handgun calibers down to mainly .45 ACP for pistols and .38 SPL, .357 Mag, .45 Colt, and .22 rimfire for revolvers. Rifles are another matter. My main semi-auto is my AR but I love to shoot my Marlin 444 Rem. in the woods when hog hunting. I wouldn't mind acquiring a hi-capacity 9mm in the future. I've had several .40 cal. pistols but just couldn't get used to shooting them.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    My first handgun is a .40... My buddy is pestering me to build an AR I guess It'd be in 5.56 Nato. I have limited funds till the end of the year, but would like to also get a 9mm. I guess this is where it starts?

Top Bottom