• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Ok guys I am considering building a C3. (not sure if C3 is correct)
    bear with me on this, when it comes to this class I am about dumb as a box of rocks.

Thinking of an AR-15 SBR with a can

What are the costs involved for the purchase other than the parts to build it?

I have a spare stripped AR lower could I convert it to an SBR lower.

Can I put a full size upper on it or am I limited to a short upper?

Can I have multiple short uppers - dedicated 5.56 and 22LR possibly 7.62x39
    (i have a few other AR's would multiple short uppers cause problems?)

Can I use one can for both 5.56 and 22LR? (i know i cant for the 7.62x39)

Does having the SBR and can allow the BATFE to inspect my safe at any time, or are they limited to only seeing the SBR and can?

What other negatives are there other than the local sheriff and the ATF knowing who I am?
    Target Sports

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    First thing out the chute is, you say you want to build a class 3 weapon. Are you talking about a full automatic? You can't. Period. No MG's can legally be built after the ban of 1986. You can legally purchase a gun made prior to 1986 but you can't build one. Not legally. An SBR semiautomatic you can build with the proper forms if you get approval before starting the actual assembly. I believe you can put any upper you want on it as long as the lower is unchanged. And don't worry about ATF coming to look in your safe-- I've owned FA's since before the 1968 amnesty and I've NEVER seen an ATF agent. They're too busy to check on all the guns out there. Uh... why don't you want them looking in your safe? Oh, uh, never mind.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Ok guys I am considering building a C3. (not sure if C3 is correct)
    bear with me on this, when it comes to this class I am about dumb as a box of rocks.

Thinking of an AR-15 SBR with a can

What are the costs involved for the purchase other than the parts to build it?$200 tax on SBR, $200 tax on the can

I have a spare stripped AR lower could I convert it to an SBR lower.Yes. Register it with the $200 tax as a SBR, have to have it engraved with your name, city, state.

Can I put a full size upper on it or am I limited to a short upper? I believe you can put any upper on it you want once it is registered SBR.

(i have a few other AR's would multiple short uppers cause problems?)Shouldn't cause a problem. As long as you have a way to build the short uppers into a legal weapon you are ok, either as a SBR or a pistol.

Can I use one can for both 5.56 and 22LR? (i know i cant for the 7.62x39) I think there are some cans you can use for both, but I believe using .22LR in a can causes it to get fouled with lead fairly quickly.

Does having the SBR and can allow the BATFE to inspect my safe at any time, or are they limited to only seeing the SBR and can? I believe the ATF can come and ensure you have possesion of the items. But they have to notify you beforehand. Don't think it happens often.

What other negatives are there other than the local sheriff and the ATF knowing who I am?
    Use a Trust and the sheriff won't even know.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So you want to build anSBR and put a can on it. Here is what you need:
    1. You neeed a form 1. This is the making or manufacturing form that allows you to register the weapon on the National firearms act registry.
    2. If the sheriff will not sign or if you do not want to go beg the sheriff for a signature, along with getting a passpoort photo and fingerprints, you will need a trust to put the SBR into.
    3. i can prepare the trust for you.
    4. you will need to send 2 copies of the form 1 with original signatures, a copy of hte trust and a check for $200.00 to the ATF.
    5. You will need to have the SBR engraved with the manufacturer's information on it. i.e. your name and city, state if you do an individual form 1 or the name of your trust and the city and state if you use a trust.
    6. When you receive the form 1 back with the treasury stamp on it, you may assemble your SBR.
    7. The suppressor follows the same steps above, except you would substitute a From 4 for the form 1.

Now, as far as the SBR:
    I have a spare stripped AR lower could I convert it to an SBR lower.
    Sure you can. Put its info on the form 1 and engrave the information on the lower.

Can I put a full size upper on it or am I limited to a short upper?

yes

(i have a few other AR's would multiple short uppers cause problems?)
    Yes. As many as you want.

Can I use one can for both 5.56 and 22LR? (i know i cant for the 7.62x39)

Yes. Why not get two cans? A good .22 can isn't too expensive.

Does having the SBR and can allow the BATFE to inspect my safe at any time, or are they limited to only seeing the SBR and can?
    No. only if you invite them in and give them consent to search. The best response tothe ATF is to have them meet you at your lawyer's office to inspect your weapons.

Get a trust and hte sherrif won;t know anything. You can also allow others to legally possess your NFA weapons.

Sena cody
    NFA Trust Attorney

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Great info guys,
    One more question then I will read and re-read it all again.

Is the $200 tax stamp a one time fee or is it for each item

e.g.
    SBR - 200
    5.56 can - 200 + cost of the can
    22 can - 200 + cost of the can
    7.62x39 can - 200 + cost of the can

I think this is a very expensive habit I am about to get into

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Great info guys,
    One more question then I will read and re-read it all again.

Is the $200 tax stamp a one time fee or is it for each item

e.g.
    SBR - 200
    5.56 can - 200 + cost of the can
    22 can - 200 + cost of the can
    7.62x39 can - 200 + cost of the can

I think this is a very expensive habit I am about to get into

YES ! Welcome to the wonderful world of Title II weapons ! $200.+$200.+$200, etc. Don't forget about the wonderful WAIT time, after you pay your $

Top Bottom