thoughts on m&p15 family

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by DCortez, Sep 8, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
  2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I gave up on S&W a long time ago. Not sure who owned them at the time, but when the 629 series came out I bought one. It was recalled, as was many of their guns back then.

3. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

I had the M&P AR-15 OR and never had any issues with it. Ended up selling it to get me a LR-308. I would buy another M&P AR-15...

4. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Why you looking at that Ray? Thought you just couldn't get into the whole black gun thing and my b-day isn't for a few months? LOL

5. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    There are better entry level black rifles out there.

6. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I know when they first came out they had alot of issues now the newer ones all have cut feed ramps and properly staked gas key bolts. I looked at one the other day for a buddy and seen alot of improvment in fit and finish. You can get a rock river which is a good ar for the same price if not cheaper at academys. Also you could get Lmts if you find one for 1100 to 1300. I guess it depends on what your looking for, mags and ammo for the ar platform have gone down along with parts. Magpul now makes a buis system for less than 100 bucks for front and back I have the rear and think it is great i put it on my LR 308.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have one (flat top) & that is considerably higher than I paid at Gander Mt. & it included BUIS.

8. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I currently have a M&P15 flat top and absolutely love it. It has gone from stock to tricked out with quad-rails, scope, laser etc, etc. Had 2 Bushmasters and decided to sell but kept the S & W. The M&P seems a little looser fit between the upper and lower but time and time again I have taken it down for cleaning and when I go back to the range the thing still shoots perfect without having to re-zero. Bought one of those little rubber wedges.......pain in the butt.....threw it away. Knock on wood I have never had any type of failure to do anything. Shoots cheap ammo just as well as high dollar stuff.....not as accurate.....but no problems with cycling. Maybe I just lucked out but I would not hesitate to get another one if the price was right.

9. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

Attached Files:

10. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a pretty standard M&P15 M4gery. I've put a MIAD grip, cheap quad rail setup and the Trijicon night sights on it. It works well and it's never had an issue. I bought it when they were fairly new to the market but it has the feed-ramp cuts and the gas key is properly staked.