• Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I picked up three new kids today of the rifle kind at the local auction:

• Mossberg Model B .22 S-L-LR (1930-1932 production range)
    • Marlin 336C Lever-Action .30-30 (1951 production date)
    • CGS (Sweedish) Mauser in 6.5x55 mm (1913 Production, "0" erision!)

The Mossberg is in ROUGH condition but based on my research online it had historical draw as an "everyday" 22. I got it for $90 ($103.50 w/auction fee). I'm probably breaking even on this, but I got it as a project gun to take a stab as restoring (for the price, I'm okay with that).

Marlin $250 ($287.50 w/fee). I've always wanted a Marlin lever-action and picked this up as the only bidder with an opening of $250 (the reserve). The stock has no cracks, the metal has very, very minor rust and pitting in some very, very small spots and the bore is clearn. It's *heavy* and I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and shooting it, then cleaning it again!

Mauser $275 ($316.25 w/fee). Higher than I'd usually pay for a Mauser, but it's got a LOT going for it. Gorgeous stock, crown marking behind the trigger guard (indicates test fired and sighted in), no "repair" marks on the weapon, pristine bolt and bore (and a 6.55mm bore according to the attached disc, no erosion!), and all seven serial numbers match. It's worth well over $300 and I consider this a steal.

Here's the pic of the new kids:
    IMG_4420.jpg

I'd love any advice from current owners on cleaning, shooting, etc. Comments are welcome as well!

-- Mike

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    6.5 Swede= wonderful rifles. Use the long 160gr bullet if reloading. They shoot great!
    Dont try to hot rod the load. Stay moderate.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    6.5 Swede= wonderful rifles. Use the long 160gr bullet if reloading. They shoot great!
    Dont try to hot rod the load. Stay moderate.

Great advice, thanks. Everything I'm reading complains about US-loaded 6.5mm being "light." I have to think there's a reason why. I don't have any reason to punish this rifle.

Nice trio of veterans, congrats.

Thanks, much appreciated. If anything, I'm becoming more aware why guns hold their value... and why they lose it.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Great advice, thanks. Everything I'm reading complains about US-loaded 6.5mm being "light."

It seems that a lot/most European cartridges are loaded lighter in the US than their European counterparts. I think there's 2 reasons why. One is that, given the age of a lot of these rifles, they may not be in the greatest condition. Second, and possibly more likely, is that because these cartridges are not as wide known in the US, someone may mistake it for something else and try to chamber it in the wrong rifle. In theory, lighter load, less lethal of a failure if fired in the wrong rifle.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'd say you made 3 pretty good purchases. A .22 can be fun to restore - and who doesn't need another .22? Same goes with a .30-30. The mauser looks to be in great shape as well. Have fun!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I finished rehabbing the stock on the Mossberg. My iPhone camera doesn't do it justice, but I was able to keep the age and weathering and give it its color back, seal it and wax it. Now it's ready to take the nephew out to the range and let him start learning, one round at a time!

Before:

25274d1386453902-three-new-children-22-30-30-6-5mm-img_4420.jpg

After:

2014-05-05 17.03.24.jpg

2014-05-05 17.04.02.jpg

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Way back when I did the Swede thing I heard the reason US ammo is loaded down:
    1.) the Swede Mauser is supposedly not quite as strong an action as the true 98 Mauser.
    2.) The actual head diameter on a Swede is about .0004" larger than the American made .308/30-06 case head that US ammo is made from. European 6.5x55 is loaded with the correct head size brass. With US brass you get some excess stretching. If possible use Norma or Lapua brass. It's the correct size.
    US brass works but you get less case life.

Top Bottom