• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    is this what hunting has become; people so egger to kill something that they shoot blindly into the brush without identifying what they are shooting at. I have hunted for over 30 years andreading things like this makes me want to give it up.

quote from the article: "All it takes is a single weekend, however, to convince plenty of people that the woods of Maine are full of wild, gun-toting folks who don’t care what they shoot at, whether it’s a deer, the family pooch or another hunter."

Three shootings in one weekend a black mark against hunters — Maine Outdoors — Bangor Daily News
    Target Sports

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know. These stories kinda piss me off. If you can't identify your target you shouldn't be shooting at it. If you don't know what's behind your target you shouldn't be shooting at it.

They mistook a German Shepherd for a coyote. Someone earlier this year mistook a guy for a bear. Really?

I've been hunting for a long, long time. I just don't see how that confusion is even possible. If you can't see the animal good enough to even identify it then what part are you shooting at? Do people really go hunting and just aim for the "middle" or the "front" of some fuzzy object?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I didn't see anything in the article but I wonder if any of them were "alcohol related" incidents? I too, cannot believe some folks can be so stupid without some type of excuse like alcohol, etc. Maybe just poor or no training.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    I have hunted Texas publiclands for over 20 years and never had a problem. One thing I was taught tobring with me was a set of binoculars or a monocular and Id what you can’t seewith the eye. Morning shadow in the woods can look like deer antlers real easybut when you ID things with binoculars it is a wake up to what you really see.I seen one article were they painted the farm animals with orange letteringsaying what they are so some dumb ass didn't shoot them

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have hunted Texas publiclands for over 20 years and never had a problem. One thing I was taught tobring with me was a set of binoculars or a monocular and Id what you can’t seewith the eye. Morning shadow in the woods can look like deer antlers real easybut when you ID things with binoculars it is a wake up to what you really see.I seen one article were they painted the farm animals with orange letteringsaying what they are so some dumb ass didn't shoot them

I have a "trippler" that goes behind a red dot scope that I can carry with me very easily. I'm gonna' take it out next trip. I'll give me 3X and is small enough to carry in a pocket. Thanks for the idea!

Edit: By the way, where are the "publiclands" in Texas?

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    I good set of small binoculars are about 20.00 and fit in your front pocket or around your neck and make a big difference. They give you something to do when you are just sitting there you can bird watch, see armadillos and squirrels but the biggest thing is that you can see deeper into the woods past the shadows.

Tp&w offers a type 2 permit with an option to draw a type 1 permit in drawings for different game. You can hunt on forest land for free like that Angelina and crocket national forests. You can get maps of all the forest lands from ONE MAP PLACE out of Dallas or on line. Remember all forest markings here is a link to help

Forest Boundaries

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    "Also on Friday, a Hebron man was shot in the leg by a hunting companion as they tracked a deer that had been wounded in Oxford."

Probably an ND, not a case of target ID. Not saying it isnt still FUBAR.

"More than once, it was pointing directly at me. The gun was loaded. I was uneasy. And I’ve never hunted with him again."
    Screw that...speak up the 1st time it happens.

Top Bottom