Time Magazine: Racist????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DoubleActionCHL, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    You've got to chuckle when these enlightened, highly educated 'journalists' make statements such as the following regarding Hillary Clinton's potential roll in the Obama administration:

"And when his presidency hits its inevitable bumps — whether those come from disappointing his liberal allies or enraging his conservative opponents — it would be handy to have a formidable spear catcher nearby."

The Once and Future Hillary Clinton - TIME

Did they just call Obama what I think they did??? :lolz:

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    No, I think they were alluding to Clinton being the recipient to possible criticism......a scapegoat of sorts.

3. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No, they called Obama's liberal allies and his conservative opponents that, but yes, what a terrible choice of words. I bet Time gets a little heat over that insinuation.

4. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Shhhhhhh! I know this. I just think the choice of words was unfortunate and somewhat humorous.

5. tussery

tussery Active Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I read it as his Liberal allies and Conservative opponents would be the ones throwing spears. Still a bad choice of words.

6. OldGringo

OldGringo Member

Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    Wonder how long before Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are demanding an:
    a. apology?
    b. firing?
    c. donations to their respective charties (aka: cash under the table)?

7. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    The historically correct phrase is "spear-chucker." The magazine article is in the clear.

8. katharsis

katharsis New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I am not sure they are racist but I would avoid using the word "spear" in relation to the Obama campaign/administration. Not because the word HAS to relate to his race as it's just a general word, but because people will absolutely take it the wrong way, given enough gasoline and somebody out there willing to light it. In this day and age you have to do everything possible to avoid being taken the wrong way.