• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Not sure what woke me up early but I figured I do the pork butt with mustard base, salt & pepper over pecan this morning.
    0C7A9FAB-07A9-4823-890B-20FEE658051E.jpeg
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been old school on the smoker front. The New Braunfels Smoker in my back yard has been in service for 26 years. Just a regular smoker with a fire box.

I'm really conflicted on the options that are available now. Two daughters have Traeger pellet smokers, and the product that comes off of those is impressive. And I have buddies with the Kamado that do great stuff on them.

I might be moving this summer. Think I will wait till I get to my new place.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I’ve had my Kamado style for like 7 years. I’ve enjoyed it, but it has problems.
    1. Price. They just are pricey.
    2. Cooking space is limited. The Primo’s have a better shape, but are harder to find.
    3. Weight. They are heavy to move.

I think I would have gotten a pellet smoker if I was to do it again.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’ve had my Kamado style for like 7 years. I’ve enjoyed it, but it has problems.
    1. Price. They just are pricey.
    2. Cooking space is limited. The Primo’s have a better shape, but are harder to find.
    3. Weight. They are heavy to move.

I think I would have gotten a pellet smoker if I was to do it again.
    When I bought mine it was me the wife & dog, with few people in mind to come over. With the wife gone it's plenty big enough for those I might invite over.

I thought about the WIFI controlled blower after staying up all night doing a brisket. Buying one has not been pulled out yet.

I see pellet cookers as the crock pot of smokers. If you can read & follow directions anyone should be able to produce decent BAR B Que. I still like to cook enough to go out & check on temp & spritz the meat. I'd hate to have to count on the blower if power fails like during the big freeze.

My biggest reason not to buy a pellet smoker is buying pellets vs going out & getting wood.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I agree with @baboon , pellet smokers are like cooking in the oven. I like to be involved in the cook. I do all of my cooking and smoking on a Weber kettle grill. I like to monitor and adjust the temperature myself.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Weber doesn’t have an option I’m interested in.

I’ll either get another big smoker or a Traeger. My daughter cooks a slab of salmon on her traeger that is amazing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom