• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m primitive. With all metal parts I just hose em down with a cleaner and blow it out with the air compressor. Boom done. Works good on a lot of things. Still have to hand clean stuff though.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I’m primitive. With all metal parts I just hose em down with a cleaner and blow it out with the air compressor. Boom done. Works good on a lot of things. Still have to hand clean stuff though.
    Depending on the quality of your compressor you may be lubing with compressor oil and dirty water that condenses in the air tank. But if it works for you. God bless you

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Depending on the quality of your compressor you may be lubing with compressor oil and dirty water that condenses in the air tank. But if it works for you. God bless you
    True. I reserve it for when I’m in a hurry. I don’t think it’s as bad as you think. If a part is soaked with cleaner, and after spraying it down, you just get the left over with a rag or q-tips.

it’s not that hard to keep your air dry and drain your tank after each use.

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Back in the '80s when gun mags gave us the latest bad gun care ideas, one scare was how lube on your gun was seeping into your ammo and when needed your gun would go pffffht instead of bang. Since I was a policeman this was an article I read with gusto and a cup of coffee. Have always been very anal about keeping my gun clean. For 5 years I cleaned my 4506 S&W dry then covered it in Remington Dri lube which was basically silicone spray. The silicone came in a carrier that turned whitish when it dried. Then I'd wipe off the white and continue with life. I also had a personal policy that when qualifying I shot from my holster without any prepping of the gun. Never had a non ammo related failure, never. I learned from this that we should lube our guns with a quality gun related product because it takes such a tiny amount you will retire before you buy more than a few containers. And your gun will last forever

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I am at the complete opposite end of the spectrum than most on the subject of cleaning and oiling my firearms. I have a very detailed and thorough routine I do after each shooting session. I would often be accused of treating my firearms as "museum pieces". :laughing:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like it. I use it for everything except my M-1. I still use CLP and grease on that because reasons.

Just got a gallon jug of CLP.

I usually use some Castrol GTX marine grease on the slides of my SA's. I put oil in places too, but the slide gets a super light coat of that grease.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I also prefer glocks sop for factory lube.
    maxresdefault.jpg

I apply this sop to ALL my combat tupperware

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
      maxresdefault.jpg
      184.4 KB · Views: 339
    Reactions: TXP

TexasGunAdmirer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    Just West of Fort Worth
    I use a quality gun oil and lightly lubricate as shown in the owner’s manual and on any wear spots. I use a cotton swab dipped in gun oil to control application.

In my Texas LTC classes I sometimes see bone dry handguns that are not operating as smoothly as they should. It makes a difference in how smoothly and reliably some guns operate. A lack of lubrication also makes some parts wear faster.

Seems like most people do not lubricate guns at all or over lubricate them. Not many do it just enough.

Reactions: TXP

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I finally oiled my AR last Saturday afternoon.

Had multiple malfunctions that night. Oiling it was obviously the cause of the malfunctions. Had no issues at all in the previous thousand or so rounds of suppressed fire with 0 maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Lol that was funny. I could see overlubricating being a problem if you use some monkey snot frog ball sweat hurky durky wax lube that's more chewing gum than lubricant.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I'm not sure how you can over lubricate them.

2 things.

First, shoot it long enough for the barrel to get hot and let the smoke from the oil burning off get in to your eyes. It will ruin a range qualification. Ask me how I know.

Second, notice they didn’t allow any of those oily ass guns to come in contact with all that dirt and sand around them. To much oil on a gun will do a magnificent job of holding on to every bit of dust that it comes in contact with.

You don’t want too much oil on your guns. I bet they get a lot of views, but they are giving bad information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Similar to a thread I started a while back.

I question the utility of cleaning a bore if it's shooting just fine.

If I want to get a firearm mechanism really really clean (the lazy way) I blast it with automotive brake cleaner.
    Blow it away with compressed air.
    DO NOT get it on finished stocks or plastics.

My favored lube is a combination of Birchwood Casey Barricade for metal and blued surfaces.
    It's never failed me.
    And....
    A have a couple of quarts of 10w60 synthetic motor oil left over from when I once owned a BMW M5.
    That is for when I feel the need for actually oily protection like inside the roller locks and trunion on my old HK long guns or to lightly coat an AR piston and carrier when thoroughly cleaned.

Mostly I just spritz everything with the Barricade Birchwood Casey stuff the lazy way.

Top Bottom