Venture Surplus ad

to +P or not to +P? That is the question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I just picked up an old Rossi M68 .38 special in almost perfect condition. The older Rossi's are not rated for +P. So I'm wondering if I put a set of +Ps in there for self defense purposes, will it blow up in my hand or ruin the weapon? I figure, its a revolver so it should be okay but.........

While we are on the subject, I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Ruger LCP. How about +Ps in those?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Capitol Armory ad

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can keep +p in all of those for defense, I just wouldn't run a steady diet of them because before you know it your guns will rattle when you walk. That is when the danger sets in. Or you can shorten the life of them for sure.
    I can't imagine running +p in a LCP, that thing hurts to soot anyway LOL!

Keep your firearms in good working order and you'll enjoy 1000s of rounds through them.
    Practice with standard rounds and carry the hot stuff for defense.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    The Kimber and the LCP should be ok with normal use. Although when i called Kimber about one of my older pistols they said the aluminum alloy frames are rated to a round count of 10,000 rnds and that +P would speed up the wear.The +P's in a 3in Kimber make some pretty cool flash also.

The LCP is a booger with +p's if you have trouble gripping it with normal pressure rounds. Otherwise just alot of flash.

I doubt the Rossi would blow up my understanding is that with with constant +P use the softer metal of older revolvers will deform and stretch causing timing issues and maybe catastrophic failure.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    One should always shoot enough of the carry ammo to be proficient with it. I have seen many people practice with regular ammo then try to qualiify with +p or magnum ammo. Their scores always suffer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    txinvestigator is absolutely correct, as usual. I have heard cases where a shooter practices with non +P and carries +P for defense. When it comes time to take a shot, the hotter ammo hits to a different point of aim.

Plus, if you feel that regular ammo isn't good enough, and +P is the answer, maybe it is time for a different caliber.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My take is if the gun is not rated +P shoot at your own risk. Will it likely blow up with a few rounds? probably not. But the most critical thing with a carry piece is knowing absolutely it will preform should it be called to action. If the manufacturer says no +P, I'm thinking that's enough for me. I'd feel better with a good JHP non +P. If that's not enough of fire power for you, move to a .357 Mag. in a revolver.

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    +P vs non +P isn't going to make a difference in your point of impact. 90% of all confrontations are at around 15 feet or less. 70% of all shooting confrontations the sights weren't even a factor. Most of the time its in poor lighting conditions anyway. With the adrenalin rush that's involved in a shooting confrontation you likely won't feel a difference in +p or non +p. Hell, you'll be lucky to remember 1/2 of what really happened. SHOT PLACEMENT and REACTION is the main factor.

Yes, its a good idea to stay acquainted with your defense rounds, you actually want to make sure they cycle anyway. So staying proficient both mentally and physically with them is a good thing.

Addressing the OP's question is if +p would cause harm to his firearms. Running a steady diet of +ps in a non +p rated gun will not have a good outcome over time, your gun will fail eventually.

My point is just practice. The trigger memory, the point of aim and learning to react to a target rather than bulls eye it all the time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    +P vs non +P isn't going to make a difference in your point of impact. 90% of all confrontations are at around 15 feet or less. 70% of all shooting confrontations the sights weren't even a factor. Most of the time its in poor lighting conditions anyway. With the adrenalin rush that's involved in a shooting confrontation you likely won't feel a difference in +p or non +p. Hell, you'll be lucky to remember 1/2 of what really happened. SHOT PLACEMENT and REACTION is the main factor.
    Your statistics are likely accurate; however, your opinions that you feel the difference when in a shooting I disagree with. I have witnessed the change, and studies of actually shootings bear this out.

Top Bottom