• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So, I was at the gym today doing my weightlifting routine and two incidences raised some questions for me. I don't know how many lifters there are here, but I thought I'd try to get some input.

Firstly, during squatting a very heavy weight, I found I couldn't go down on the last rep. My body just refused to go down to the hole, probably because it thought it might not be able to get out. Is there a way to break this? I can foresee it causing problems in the future.

Secondly, I actually managed to achieve runner's high during my weightlifting routine. I did 5x5 Squats and Bench, but when I got to the Barbell Rows it triggered. It was nice that I didn't really care about the pressure of the weight, but it was hard to focus, so I was sort of concerned about injuring myself. Anyone else have experience with this?
    Gun Zone Deals

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    #1) That hasn't happened to me but I don't focus on heavy lifting, I go for low weight high rep routines because I run a lot and don't need the extra mass to slow me down.

#2) I've heard of this happening before to other people. Usually by the time I hit the weights I've already been running so that doesn't count. :)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It's been years since I've done any serious working out, but here's my two cents...

First: On the squats you're in a cage or smith machine right? It's not a big deal if you can't get back up, just rack it down low, get out and pull some weight off. If you never lift to the point of failure you don't know what your limits are, IMO. On squats I used to do sets of 4 with a little over 500lbs (free weights, olympic bar), and had to drop it a few times because I felt something weird start to happen on my back and didn't want to get hurt. You have to be comfortable with your safety equipment/rack.

Second: Never experienced that while lifting. It's nice to be on auto pilot while running, but I would probably share your concern if it happened while I was lifting.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    If your not use to doing squats start out light. Doing squats is all about form and can be dangerous to your knees and back if not done properly. Start out light get the technique then as you feel comtfy go heavy. Dont be afraid to lift lightley in all excersises to gain muscle memory and form then get ya some and start lifting heavy

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    #1) That hasn't happened to me but I don't focus on heavy lifting, I go for low weight high rep routines because I run a lot and don't need the extra mass to slow me down.

Of course there is a lot of debate on this but many believe that lower weights and higher reps is supposed to put on mass faster than higher weight lower reps. Not strength, but mass. See Build Muscle Fast - FromSkinnyToMuscular.com

ArieIT, I think maybe your body knows when it just can't to that last rep. A while back I was doing dips which I usually can manage 8 unassisted. I want to build to 12 eventually, so even though I barely made the 8th one, i started the 9th, but could only force it half way down, and couldn't force myself to complete the downward because I suppose I knew I'd get stuck down there. Squats and dips are different then others (like curls or pull ups) because you've got to commit to doing finishing, and if you don't there are consequences.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    First: On the squats you're in a cage or smith machine right? It's not a big deal if you can't get back up, just rack it down low, get out and pull some weight off. If you never lift to the point of failure you don't know what your limits are, IMO. On squats I used to do sets of 4 with a little over 500lbs (free weights, olympic bar), and had to drop it a few times because I felt something weird start to happen on my back and didn't want to get hurt. You have to be comfortable with your safety equipment/rack.
    Yeah, I have a power rack / cage, but my body was refusing to go down. I was telling it to, but it wouldn't respond. I assume there's something subconscious at work.

If your not use to doing squats start out light. Doing squats is all about form and can be dangerous to your knees and back if not done properly. Start out light get the technique then as you feel comtfy go heavy. Dont be afraid to lift lightley in all excersises to gain muscle memory and form then get ya some and start lifting heavy
    I started at an empty bar and worked my way up to 235 by 5 lbs a session, I think I've been taking it plenty slow thus far.

ArieIT, I think maybe your body knows when it just can't to that last rep. A while back I was doing dips which I usually can manage 8 unassisted. I want to build to 12 eventually, so even though I barely made the 8th one, i started the 9th, but could only force it half way down, and couldn't force myself to complete the downward because I suppose I knew I'd get stuck down there. Squats and dips are different then others (like curls or pull ups) because you've got to commit to doing finishing, and if you don't there are consequences.
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but it's not like I had 0 change to come back up. I think it would have been worth the strain to try at least.

I've considered just deliberately failing to let my body know it's okay. Dunno if that will wok or not.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Been there bro. I think it's more mental than anything because youre going into uncharted territory. What I found the best thing to combat this is squat in the cage and put the safety rails 4-6 inches below where you would naturally bottom out. Not only does it keep you from dropping weight if you actually fail, it also puts the reservations from your mind and allows you to try for that last rep or two without fear.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Of course there is a lot of debate on this but many believe that lower weights and higher reps is supposed to put on mass faster than higher weight lower reps. Not strength, but mass.
    That is my school of thought. Body builders generally do high rep/ low weight workouts. Powerlifters do high weight/ low rep workouts. I always did high weight/ low rep workouts, and generally have the same build as when I was working out. I had some buddies that concentrated on high rep/ low weight workouts and got pretty big doing it, but they also got flabby soon after stopping their workout schedule. I know there is more to it than that, but generally that is how it seems to go.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    One rep isn't worth an injury. Listen to your body.

I will not do squats any more ... I guarantee you I've done 1 - 2 Million squats in my life, that miniscule gain you get from that last squat is not worth the wear and tear on your knees and back. Once you hurt those tendons and spinal parts you're injured for life. You'll be on the road to multiple knee rebuilds and back issues; as a result big weight isn't worth it.

I'm all for pushing yourself, and I've pushed so hard that I literally thought I couldn't drive home, much less walk out of the gym. Results are built with hard work over time, not by trying to murder your body and hit some artificial weight / rep goal.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    One last thing. When I used to lift for sports I always had a lifting partner near my strength level (sometimes two) spotting me, and trainers.

I did some lifting by myself after I was done with all that. It is completely different in some ways. But, even if you're not lifting for explosiveness and performance a spotter can be extremely helpful getting the most out of a workout. I'd try to find someone you can work out with, if possible, or stick to machines for safety.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    One rep isn't worth an injury. Listen to your body.

I will not do squats any more ... I guarantee you I've done 1 - 2 Million squats in my life, that miniscule gain you get from that last squat is not worth the wear and tear on your knees and back. Once you hurt those tendons and spinal parts you're injured for life. You'll be on the road to multiple knee rebuilds and back issues; as a result big weight isn't worth it.

I'm all for pushing yourself, and I've pushed so hard that I literally thought I couldn't drive home, much less walk out of the gym. Results are built with hard work over time, not by trying to murder your body and hit some artificial weight / rep goal.

This

ASCO12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Belton
    The different views on set/weight ratio are coming from to totally different styles of weight lifting. High reps/low weight allows the body to be in a state of hypertrophy...which means muscle grow. Body Builders will use this more often because it allows muscle mass gains as well as definition with the straining efforts. On the other hand you have the powerlifters who do high weight/low reps because they are training for the ultimate goal of a 1 rep max. They are training two totally different systems within the body because they are expecting different results. The power lifter does not need to do 15 reps of any exercise b/c then he is getting away from his power/explosive system that is needed when he will attempt his one rep max goal.

As the Mexican Hippie put it, training with a spotter is the best way to go...I think I read a study about if you're spotter is a cute petite girl with fake tits that you will increase your bench press by 100 lbs within a week...or maybe I just thought it would...I can't recall.

tequila45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    aurora, il
    I know what you mean about "runners high". The first time I experienced it was when was doing bench dips with 3, 45# plates. I did my last two reps and I couldn't feel my arms on those reps. Really weird.

The second time was in the squat rack on my last rep with 285. On the way up I couldn't feel my legs. The weight went up smoothly, I just had no feeling of it in my legs at all. I guess you just get in a zone where your body is literally a machine going through the motions.

Also, if your body is refusing to move on a certain rep or for a certain amount of weight, listen to it. It's not worth the risk to get injured. If you're not training for anything specific or getting paid for it, it's not worth it.

Martin6600

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    USA
    Hello dear,..
    I read out all the posts and all the posts very informational about gym.Gym is the best solution for good health and fitness.
    So we should be start the gym for fitness.I am going to gym regularly for keep maintaining of the body.Gym is showing
    positives changing on your body.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Hello dear,..
    I read out all the posts and all the posts very informational about gym.Gym is the best solution for good health and fitness.
    So we should be start the gym for fitness.I am going to gym regularly for keep maintaining of the body.Gym is showing

Hey Ariel, Martin called you dear. lol.

ManCow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Rio Grande Valley
    Yeah, I have a power rack / cage, but my body was refusing to go down. I was telling it to, but it wouldn't respond. I assume there's something subconscious at work.

Sounds like one of two things, Either a brick wall, mind over matter kind of stuff; Or you need to give yourself more time to catch up, you said you go up 5lbs ever session, maybe scale back on the weight you lift about 30 or 40 percent, and increase the reps by the same percent.

The different views on set/weight ratio are coming from to totally different styles of weight lifting. High reps/low weight allows the body to be in a state of hypertrophy...which means muscle grow. Body Builders will use this more often because it allows muscle mass gains as well as definition with the straining efforts. On the other hand you have the powerlifters who do high weight/low reps because they are training for the ultimate goal of a 1 rep max. They are training two totally different systems within the body because they are expecting different results. The power lifter does not need to do 15 reps of any exercise b/c then he is getting away from his power/explosive system that is needed when he will attempt his one rep max goal.

Also, the type of training and how it affects you can have alot to do with what your body type is. Two people can do the same training routine and wind up with completely different results as far as their body mass/muscle growth is concerned.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Hello dear,..

Well It clear that body building has completely improved the fitness and health of the people around the globe It is right to say that to build muscles , people need to join gym where they have number of workouts to do for developing muscles . But it is suggested to the beginners to start gym with light weight other wise there is a risk of injury to muscle .

wtf?

Top Bottom