• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    I plan on having one for a bug out bag and one that i may go camping with. I like the traditional Vietnam style hawks. i was checking out SOG's fusion. seems to be decent at a fair price. Im not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a tool i may never use. any suggestions?
    Target Sports

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    What is the benefit to having a tomahawk versus a machete in a bug out bag? The hammer?

Many sir. If you live in forested areas, a hatchet or a tomahawk would be better. If you live in areas with whole tons of short brush (thin branches), tall grass, or vines, a machete would be better.

People who live in Florida would be better served by a machete, while here in SA, a Cold Steel Trail Hawk or Eastwig Hatchet would serve better. I would recommend the Trail Hawk over the Rifleman Hawk, SOG Fusion, or Trench Hawk. It has more application values toward bugging out and camping than others while being relatively inexpensive. SOG is great, but their Fusion, from reviews isn't.

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    What is the benefit to having a tomahawk versus a machete in a bug out bag? The hammer?
    In addition to SuhsJake's post, a tomahawk offers the benefits of a long handled hatchet for chopping/splitting that is more precise than the machete. It also offers a more durable blade/edge than the often thin machete. For defense, the tomahawk's offensive maneuvers of the chop, slash, and hook is balanced by defensive blocking maneuvers.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I dunno, the kukri design is pretty solid... but I wouldn't have the first clue of errr.... axe fighting technique. Knives or swords or guns, yes... axes, not so much.

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    Fighting with a tomahawk is fairly easy. It's an extension of hand to hand. The hawk needs to be light so it can be swung and retracted with speed and control, and is usually a single handed tool/weapon. My hawks have wrap and tacks so I know the position in my hand. I can choke up and down as the needs fits. It's best to use in conjunction with a dagger/knife like the Native Americans used.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Have a SOG fusion for 40 bucks it is durable and dependable split some oak with it although it was a PITA it is sharp and well built.

Top Bottom