• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I took my wife and her mother and aunt to the range with me. We fired my AR.

I think they enjoyed it, though my Mother-in-law didn't join in the festivities. My wife was very supprised at how light the recoil was (she never believed me).

She actually did very well for the first time shooting it. I really would like to get her a .22lr at some point (but how to get to that point. . . hmmmm).

Anyway, it was fun. While my MIL "grew up with guns" (her father was an avid hunter, I really wish I would have met him before he died) I don't think she was comletely comfortable with my Evil Black Rifle.

I would do some things differently
    1. Go somewhere were we could shoot in peace, not a public range. While Bracken isn't the worst range in the world, lots of things to make them nervous.
    2. I need to get my wife some shooting instruction. . . by someone who isn't me. I can teach safety, but actual shooting isn't something I'm good at teaching. I'm a decent pistol shot, and a so-so rifle shot. I probably would benefit from some good rifle insturction too . . . and about 10k rounds of .22lr practice.
    3. Get a .22lr rifle. I really think my wife would enjoy it a lot more. I have a winchester somewhere hidden at my parent's house, but a ruger 10/22 has been appealing fo so long. . . . it just might find its way into my collection.
    4. Bring more ammo.

Gosh, I love my AR
    I'm pretty happy with my Bravo company middy. I do think, if I were to get an AR for my wife, I'd get the lightest one they had. She really liked shooting it . . . . maybe someday I'll get to buy her one.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You can get a .22lr or a conversion kit for your AR15 for under $200 but a Ruger 10/22 could be the start of an adventure.

A .22lr is a great way to introduce folks how to shoot.

I can't wait till I get a suppressor for my .22lr pistols\rifles and increase the value of them as introduction to shooting guns.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I think your things to do different are spot on. Especially the instruction by someone other than yourself. Wives and kids always listen better without getting defensive if taught by someone other than family. Would be nice if local ranges had a Ladies Day. I know our local police department sponsors such an event but it's hand gun only. Hey at least she went and seemed to enjoy.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Was at Bracken briefly to give my Gp100 a go today as well what time were you there?

Around 2ish. My wife has shot my Glock a few times, though she really doesn't like it. I keep trying to get her interested in her own handgun. . . . . .

Bracken charges by gun, not people, so our outing only cost $8 plus cost of ammo. I really like "A place to shoot" Better (I bring a towel to catch my brass). Its usually quieter and I can change my pistol targets myself.

How was the GP-100? I really want a 6" one. Its on my list as my next purchase (after the 8lbs of powder and 2k of bullets and primers for my AR. . . and another scope for my 7mag . . . .)

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx

I think they enjoyed it, though my Mother-in-law didn't join in the festivities. My wife was very supprised at how light the recoil was (she never believed me).

She actually did very well for the first time shooting it. I really would like to get her a .22lr at some point (but how to get to that point. . . hmmmm).

Anyway, it was fun. While my MIL "grew up with guns" (her father was an avid hunter, I really wish I would have met him before he died) I don't think she was comletely comfortable with my Evil Black Rifle.

1. Go somewhere were we could shoot in peace, not a public range. While Bracken isn't the worst range in the world, lots of things to make them nervous.
    2. I need to get my wife some shooting instruction. . . by someone who isn't me. I can teach safety, but actual shooting isn't something I'm good at teaching. I'm a decent pistol shot, and a so-so rifle shot. I probably would benefit from some good rifle insturction too . . . and about 10k rounds of .22lr practice.
    3. Get a .22lr rifle. I really think my wife would enjoy it a lot more. I have a winchester somewhere hidden at my parent's house, but a ruger 10/22 has been appealing fo so long. . . . it just might find its way into my collection.
    4. Bring more ammo.

Gosh, I love my AR
    I'm pretty happy with my Bravo company middy. I do think, if I were to get an AR for my wife, I'd get the lightest one they had. She really liked shooting it . . . . maybe someday I'll get to buy her one.

I had a similar experience with this exception. I allowed my wife to shoot my Sig P239 and my Rossi .357 2in. She always liked my .357, but unknown to her, in the past she was shooting 38 rounds. At this event, I loaded 158 grain JHP magnum rounds and the recoil shocked the hell out of her. It was funny to see the expression on her face.

Lastly, she loved my Sig, but then who wouldn't love a Sig.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Around 2ish. My wife has shot my Glock a few times, though she really doesn't like it. I keep trying to get her interested in her own handgun. . . . . .

Bracken charges by gun, not people, so our outing only cost $8 plus cost of ammo. I really like "A place to shoot" Better (I bring a towel to catch my brass). Its usually quieter and I can change my pistol targets myself.

How was the GP-100? I really want a 6" one. Its on my list as my next purchase (after the 8lbs of powder and 2k of bullets and primers for my AR. . . and another scope for my 7mag . . . .)

Got there around 1530 shot for 45 min then left. The range was ok, and the 6" Gp100 is nice, like it alot very accurate.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bracken wouldn't be my first choice to teach someone, either. The atmosphere at that place kind of bugs me. But it's the only place in SA that I know of where you can shoot a "home defense" shotgun, so... Try out Bexar Community Range next time, great atmosphere out there, a more professional feel, but without Rang Nazis climbing down your shorts.

Avoid Cedar Ridge for regular shooting (I need to try their tactical carbine match out, though). Range Nazis.

You're probably just fine as a teacher, but a man can NOT teach his wife to shoot. Ever. Don't even try. She's married to an idiot (no matter how smart you are). But any idiot she's never met before? She'll listen to his instructions...

I'd be willing to teach her, drop me a line. If she has any single, attractive female relatives/friends aged 25-35 who want to go shooting, tell her to bring 'em along, too. :p

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Bracken wouldn't be my first choice to teach someone, either. The atmosphere at that place kind of bugs me. But it's the only place in SA that I know of where you can shoot a "home defense" shotgun, so... Try out Bexar Community Range next time, great atmosphere out there, a more professional feel, but without Rang Nazis climbing down your shorts.

Avoid Cedar Ridge for regular shooting (I need to try their tactical carbine match out, though). Range Nazis.

You're probably just fine as a teacher, but a man can NOT teach his wife to shoot. Ever. Don't even try. She's married to an idiot (no matter how smart you are). But any idiot she's never met before? She'll listen to his instructions...

I'd be willing to teach her, drop me a line. If she has any single, attractive female relatives/friends aged 25-35 who want to go shooting, tell her to bring 'em along, too. :p
    man thats just greedy

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I haven't shot in San Antonio in a couple years, but I remember I hated Bracken and loved Bexar Community Shooting Range. They almost treated me like an adult there.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio

:p

Every range has rules, and Bracken is no different. I personally think it's one of the safest ranges in town. Recent changes are due to shooters who either can't or won't shoot at the provided targets. The new low roofline on the pistol line are because people were shooting over the berm. We can't shoot rifles offhand there because people were intentionally shooting over the berm. They don't want people to rapid fire because people can't cope with the recoil. In other words, a few idiot shooters have ruined it for everyone else.

Bexar county's rifle and pistol lines are so poorly maintained that they look like they're about to collapse. There is no facility for cleaning up your casings. The "office" is 100 yards away from the rifle/pistol line, and there are no range masters in attendance.

I've never been to A Place To Shoot.

I've been to Cedar Ridge for a tactical carbine match. It's a lot of fun, but they need to provide a place other than the dirt/bushes to put guns for people that aren't shooting.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio

4. Bring more ammo.

Gosh, I love my AR

I agree that if you want to your spouse to learn to shoot properly, have her take a real class. It's not that you can't teach her, it's more that because you don't do it all the time, you might forget something that you take for granted and assume that everybody knows.

Finally, if you want to get her a .22, a 10/22 is fine, and yes, you can get a .22 upper for your AR, but consider that she might just be uncomfortable with the weight of the AR. In that case, have her fondle one a S&W M&P15-22. It's VERY light (the receivers are polymer), and closely resembles a AR-15. Yes, it's more expensive than a 10/22, but it's pretty fun, and accepts a lot of the same accessories that your regular AR does.

If you'd like, I could meet you at Bracken and she can hold/shoot my M&P15-22. If she likes it, you can get her one online (cheaper than buying it locally).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Every range has rules, and Bracken is no different. I personally think it's one of the safest ranges in town. Recent changes are due to shooters who either can't or won't shoot at the provided targets. The new low roofline on the pistol line are because people were shooting over the berm. We can't shoot rifles offhand there because people were intentionally shooting over the berm. They don't want people to rapid fire because people can't cope with the recoil. In other words, a few idiot shooters have ruined it for everyone else.

Bexar county's rifle and pistol lines are so poorly maintained that they look like they're about to collapse. There is no facility for cleaning up your casings. The "office" is 100 yards away from the rifle/pistol line, and there are no range masters in attendance.

I've never been to A Place To Shoot.

I've been to Cedar Ridge for a tactical carbine match. It's a lot of fun, but they need to provide a place other than the dirt/bushes to put guns for people that aren't shooting.

I didn't mean to say that Bracken were Range Nazis. Quite the opposite at that range, actually. It just kind of freaks me out standing right next to a car while I'm shooting my shotgun on their HD shotgun range... The place just strikes me as being a bit... off, ya know?

It's Cedar Ridge that are over the top. Nothing in your hand during a cease fire? Really? And the guy that runs the place still doesn't know exactly what a berm is. :p

I realize that Cedar Ridge folks aren't usually down on the range, either, but their attitude seems a lot less friendly. I'm more than comfortable with taking care of safety on whatever range I'm shooting on, and more than capable of it. I'm happy with safety rules being enforced... so long as they're safety rules, and make sense as such. Telling someone to stop drinking that water during a cease fire on a 100 degree day is senseless.

Top Bottom