Guns International

Total "WTF" moment at the gun show yesterday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Reminds me of the "shotgun news" drop-in's that were being advertised for $250 long after '86, which I wholeheartedly believed was an ATF sting operation, perhaps this is too? (tinfoil hat in hand...)

Thoughts?

That's what a lot of people thought, but no, the guy really was selling "Safety sears" (or whatever they were called) for a couple decades after they were illegalized!

Shotgun news George Dodson(Guy selling DIAS)

As far as the oil filter goes- no hole, no suppressor. ATF has used a lot of leeway to make arrests for "Constructive intent," though; so unless you have an extra $100k+ to fight them in court you'll probably want to avoid this thing.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I completely understand how some might use them, but don't understand why some are so upset about it.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody used a device made to catch oil in a different way. Hell, how long do you think people have been taping Coke bottles to the end of a .22.

Some people are gonna take that chance, but don't hate coca cola for selling drinks in plastic bottles.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    There is always a vacancy at the gray bar hotel for those that think they are smarter than the Feds... It wouldn't surprise me find out this this was a sting operation. There have been many reports of active sting operations at gun shows.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've known a few people who made their own cans that work great. If I wanted a suppressor that works without jumping through unconstitutional hoops I'd go that route. Oh and **** the atf.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I've known a few people who made their own cans that work great. If I wanted a suppressor that works without jumping through unconstitutional hoops I'd go that route. Oh and $#@! the atf.
    Still need to Form1 if you build one yourself. :)

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I completely understand how some might use them, but don't understand why some are so upset about it.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody used a device made to catch oil in a different way. Hell, how long do you think people have been taping Coke bottles to the end of a .22.

Some people are gonna take that chance, but don't hate coca cola for selling drinks in plastic bottles.
    I get what you are saying, but taping a coke bottle is a bit of a strawman rebut, don't you think? Tape, while it can be used creatively for all sorts of things, isn't specifically designed to mount a coke bottle to a weapon and does not contain a baffle system similar to that of a legal suppressor (although still a violation of NFA to do this as well if it diminishes the report of said weapon).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I get what you are saying, but taping a coke bottle is a bit of a strawman rebut, don't you think? Tape, while it can be used creatively for all sorts of things, isn't specifically designed to mount a coke bottle to a weapon and does not contain a baffle system similar to that of a legal suppressor (although still a violation of NFA to do this as well if it diminishes the report of said weapon).

And why is it wrong to most a coke bottle or oil filter to a weapon.

Why is this so upsetting? Why is it so bad that this is specifically designed to mount a filter? Would you mind less if it was for a bottle that could be filled with shredded newspaper?

I just don't see what all the hoopla's about.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    He's right. If you buy a slip reducer bushing you could tap any threading you like. Hell there may already be a bushing that would put a filter on a gun, readily available at your local home depot.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How are these oil can suppressors (I mean barrel oilers) different than the drop in full auto M16 sear legally?

Because an oil filter on a bushing doesn't reduce sound.....until you punch a hole in it. It is not a silencer, it's a catch. Just like a semi auto sear is different that a full auto seat unless modified.

So in essence, the bushing filter (as intended for cleaning) is like the trigger group in my 10/22. I could modify it and make it illegal.

If people are that worried then you shoulda me sure you don't have any extra shoe laces and key rings in the house if you have a 10/22. Put them together and you have an MG. constructive intent?

txpaulie

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Rosharon
    Because an oil filter on a bushing doesn't reduce sound.....until you punch a hole in it. It is not a silencer, it's a catch. Just like a semi auto sear is different that a full auto seat unless modified.

So in essence, the bushing filter (as intended for cleaning) is like the trigger group in my 10/22. I could modify it and make it illegal.

If people are that worried then you shoulda me sure you don't have any extra shoe laces and key rings in the house if you have a 10/22. Put them together and you have an MG. constructive intent?

^^this!^^

I remember that the ATF once stated that string was a machine gun...

I like to think that "they" have no business in my shop, period.

The guy selling "oil catchers" is no threat to me.

More power to 'em!

p

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    it would be interesting to know how many constructive intent suits have been filed against people in the last 20 years where the parts were not 100% nfa gun parts and in those suits how many ended in jail time.
    I dont want to be a test case :) and im sure it would cost a bucket of money if you were charged with it even if found innocent.

But then again I am not the kind of person that hits a panic button and deletes all my hard drives when a car pulls in my driveway. If you really think that the atf is going to set up a booth selling oil filter adapters and then follow you around to see if you use it in an illegal way I feel sorry for you.

and if youa re fool enough to use one as a silencer then I will laugh at you all the way to your just reward

Last edited:
    Top Bottom