Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    12-year-old accidentally kills sibling in Harris County home
    By ANTHONY WILLIAMS Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Aug. 7, 2008, 11:23PM

A 12-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his stepbrother at their northwest Harris County home Wednesday night, investigators said.

The boys, both 12, were playing with their father's handgun at about 10:30 p.m. when it discharged, said Shawn Woelk, a deputy investigator with the Harris County Sheriff's Office homicide division.

Woelk said it's unclear exactly where the boys got the gun. They took it from inside their home in the1500 block of Plumwood and into the attached garage, where the shooting occurred. Both parents were home at the time of the incident.

When Harris County Precinct 4 officers arrived at the home, the mother told them the father took the injured son to Houston Northwest Medical Center, Pct. 4 Chief Mark Herman said. The boy died on arrival, Woelk said.

An autopsy is pending.

Woelk said authorities will present their investigation to district attorney's office, who will go over it with a grand jury. While the shooting was likely accidental, Woelk said the father could be charged with making a firearm accessible to a child, a misdemeanor.

"It's a very good lesson," Woelk said. "This accident was very preventable."

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Sad to hear.Looks like the parent who bought the gun will be charged.Hard enough to lose a child and then have to go to jail.But in my house safety comes first as I have little ones.All my guns are unaccessable and are under lock and key except for my CCW that I carry with me.Hopefully this tragedy will help someone realize that guns are not toys and that you need to keep your guns secure at all times.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Yes, sad story. It's already hard enough to lose a child, but most likely the gun owner will be charged, but given a few days to grieve.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yes, sad story. It's already hard enough to lose a child, but most likely the gun owner will be charged, but given a few days to grieve.

Rightfully so, owning a firearm may be our right as Americans, but we have an equal responsibility to ensure these things are prevented through our diligence in safety.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Rightfully so, owning a firearm may be our right as Americans, but we have an equal responsibility to ensure these things are prevented through our diligence in safety.

I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate but it was their responsibility to keep it out of the hands of their kids. I still feel for them... what a mess.

Top Bottom