Training and practice

Discussion in 'Training & Competition' started by tomharkness, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomharkness

tomharkness Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Looking for individuals that want to get together in the Georgetown -Florance area and do some training and practice.

I am a Retired Army Medic/Nurse, professional firefighter, and X-Military Police. I have training in the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response (active shooter) program as well as much more. I am a certified NRA pistol instructor and licensed by the Texas Private Security Bureau in Firearms and Level III Security Officer training, as well as, a member of the Texas Tactical Police Officer Association.

I am looking for individuals that want to get together and socialize about these subjects. Also looking for friends that share the same interest in shooting, advanced shooting, and much more.

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    PM sent. :)

3. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    It sounds like a great idea; what range do you use? I live over in Lago Vista and usually shoot at Eagle Peak, but all you can do there is poke holes in paper ...

4. Castrolr1

Castrolr1 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    i'd love to... wish you were closer

5. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008

ditto that comment

6. tomharkness

tomharkness Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Guys, I am open for suggestions. We don't even need to bring guns. I'm just tired of hearing stupid liberals from the Austin area that refuse to listen. I want to spend time around like minded people that believe in that Memorandum of understanding we call the Constitution..... you know, that piece of lambskin that the liberals all think is a suicide pact.

I shoot at Eagle Peak sometimes, I shoot at Astros sometimes, and sometimes even Stan's.... if the weather is bad, I will go to Red's in Pflugerville or South Austin.

I ride a 1100cc Honda Shadow and would not mind just about any trip within 100 miles. Even Eagle Peak and Astro's is about 30 miles each for me. Just get out a map and start looking at ranges that are close to you and put them up on the site. Then everyone can start looking at what is most available for them. We should, at least, come up with a "Best Place" area to get together.

Even if we don't bring our guns, we should, at least, get together and talk about upcoming events. I want to talk about: NRA, Texas State Laws, U.S. Laws, and some other things.

Do you know the difference between a conservative and a liberal? A conservative will tell you what he thinks, why he thinks that way and why he thinks he is right for thinking that way...... a liberal will tell you what you think, why you think that way and how he knows that you are wrong for thinking that way.

7. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't mind meeting anywhere and doing anything. If it's at the range that's fine with me, or just hanging out talking is fine too. One thing I will have to say is I would much rather not spend any money at Eagle Peak. The only time I've been there was with a CHL class, and the manager got into a childish confrontation with our instructor. It was extremely unprofessional, plus they are very strict there. I would rather not go back, and I really dislike ranges that won't allow a little room for stuff like rapid fire, etc. I went to Astro's last weekend and it seemed like a decent place.

8. tomharkness

tomharkness Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Astros is nice and I like the people there. I like the little office that they have and the seats out front. They also have descent restroom facilities. However, we would need to bring our own chairs and maybe a canopy to sit under if the sun gets too hot.

First, I need to go out and talk with the owner at Astros and see if he has any problems with a big get-together. Let me see what they say and get back to everyone.

I would love to see military, civilians, Mom’s, Dads, and anyone else with a belief in the system that our forefathers designed and our politicians are so desperate to destroy. We could talk about shooting techniques and then go and practice them.

Sometimes, what I will do is bring plastic, toy handguns that look real (but with the red tip) to demonstrate training procedures. I love airsoft guns for that.

I think that getting a CHL is not enough. I think that people with a CHL should also practice scenarios and advanced techniques in order to help prepare for the most extreme possibilities.

9. SIG_Fiend

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I took a CHL class finally. I still need to turn in the paperwork but am getting there at least. Personally, I look at it from the perspective that, I consider myself to be a lifelong student when it comes to proficiency with firearms and self defense in general. I won't ever feel there is a point I've reached that is "enough". I try to soak up every piece of education and training I can on the subject. I know just enough now to know that I don't know nearly enough and have plenty to learn.

One thing I really want to start doing is some force on force training as I'm aware of the excellent and unique opportunity it provides that you really can't get doing anything else. Airsoft guns make that easy, and I have a few I intend to use for that purpose eventually.

I have wanted to start participating in some IDPA matches for awhile now too. I think it would be great to get out and experience some shooting on the move and possibly on some courses structured in a somewhat realistic manner. One thing I am realizing though is that even IDPA has become a bit more of a "gaming" organization. Personally there are some beliefs I have about certain things that have made me realize I wouldn't be competitive at IDPA from the gaming sense. Though I'd be there for the experience as opposed to trying to win a trophy. The only thing I've seen so far about IDPA that I can't stand is how you have to go hammer down after showing clear. To me that is a very BAD habit to ingrain in someone's subconscious through many, many repetitions. I don't want to develop on unconscious affinity for going "hammer down" after everything I do with a firearm. ;) Sigs have a decocker and after I've just showed someone I'm clear, mag is out or empty, what's the point. ;)

10. tomharkness

tomharkness Member

Jan 6, 2009
    IDPA is fun, but gets way too competitive. Pretty soon, you have a complete separation of the CHL people that want to practice real life scenarios and the $2800 per gun - extreme Military/Law Enforcement Close Order Combat enthusiast. Before you know it, the regular people get bored and discourage and decide to find something more interesting to do for the day. What I am looking to start here is where CHL and Home Defense people get together and talk about different ideas… and try different techniques in a controlled and safe environment. I want to practice starting from a chair, standing up, turning, finding your target, and then engaging safely.

When I was Military Police, I was tops in my class for shooting. But when my Tactical Police Instructor had me run around the field with a 50 pound weight, fight someone my same size for two minutes, and then go to the firing line… draw my pistol and fire 3 rounds in 3 seconds… My shot-group was the equivalent of a 4 year old picking his nose while shooting. I was lucky that I hit the paper…. And none of my shots hit the actual target. When I was instructed to lie down on the ground, on my back, and shoot the target…. I shot the wrong target.

The short of this story is this: When someone starts shooting at you and you know that your life is about to end, the rules change and people make mistakes. Keeping your cool is all talk until the S*** starts flying. Then all bets are off and Murphy’s Law kicks in….. “No Operations Plan Survives First Contact Intact”.

As for the CHL, I don’t think anyone should carry a CCF (Conceal Carry Firearm [NRA discourages the use of the word “weapon”]) that cost more than $400. If you ever have to use your firearm for self defense, you will lose that firearm to the local Law Enforcement. It is immediately taken as evidence for the investigation of what happened. Depending on what part of Texas you are in it could take anywhere from 2 months to 200 years before you will ever see it again. Even if you are in the right and completely justified, if you use a firearm in the City of Austin, Texas, you may never see that firearm again. The Liberal Judges in Austin don’t care what is right or wrong, they only care about making sure that you put as much of your income into their system as they can get.

If you have $2800 to spend on a firearm, think about getting Eight Smith and Wesson Sigma, Kel-tec P-11, and/or Kimber handguns instead. That way, when the brothers, uncles, and friends of the thug that you shot comes after you to get even… you can have enough backup to make sure the entire problem is fixed. Also consider buying all your firearms in the same caliber. That way the ammo is generic to all your firearms. Even my carbine is 9mm…. not that I think 9mm is the best, only that I prefer 9mm.

Today is Wednesday and I am off work. I will be driving up to Astros to talk with the owner about our little meet and greet. Check back soon for updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.